Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Can a intermdiate shaft be bad? Just the bearing? Wheel shake....

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a intermdiate shaft be bad? Just the bearing? Wheel shaking problem!!

this is on a 99 civic si

I crashed my civic a while back because the ball-joint broke on the drivers side. well the front end frame/body was fixed, and replaced the balljoint and axle. but now the wheel shakes really bad on the drivers side where the ball joint broke. it feels like its shaking when i accelerate from a stop but goes smooth at freeway or street driving.

Had it up on jackstands at a shop and he said the intermediate shaft looked like it had some play. could this just be the bearing? could i just get by replacing the bearing or buying a used intermediate shaft/bearing.

Is there anything else that this problem could be? Tie rod ends? Wheel bearing seems good. Would the shaft bearing cause this?

Kinda confusing story but hope it makes sense
Old 02-22-2006, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can a intermdiate shaft be bad? Just the bearing? Wheel shaking problem!! (mnskateboarder)

i had a vibration in my steering wheel and i replaced my upper ball joints and got new tires mounted and balanced and it made a world of difference. Then again with your car being in an accident it could be something worse like axles intermediate shaft.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i bet the intermediate shaft was got bent during the accident. other than that check the tires, maybe a bent rim. there are so many things it could be after an accident. take it to a shop and have them figure it out. as for just changing the bearing, whats the point.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (schardbody)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i bet the intermediate shaft was got bent during the accident. other than that check the tires, maybe a bent rim. there are so many things it could be after an accident. take it to a shop and have them figure it out. as for just changing the bearing, whats the point.</TD></TR></TABLE>

tried mulitple sets of wheels/tires. not that. the point in changing the bearing is that the bearing has a lot of play. causing the shaft to move around. just didnt know if i could just replace that...
Old 02-23-2006, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh the bearing has play, you made it sound like you werent sure what had play if any. if you have a driveshaft/axle shop in your area they could change just the bearing, but it would probably cost as much as a new intermediate shaft.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (schardbody)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh the bearing has play, you made it sound like you werent sure what had play if any. if you have a driveshaft/axle shop in your area they could change just the bearing, but it would probably cost as much as a new intermediate shaft.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well a new intermediate shaft is expensive. its a dealer only part. the bearing is only 23 bucks. but i could buy a used one, but than im getting a used part/bearing. and i dont know if this is even the problem, im trying to figure out if anything else can cause this problem.