Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

can i turbo an automatic ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i turbo an automatic ??

hey guys can u tell me if i can put a turbo on any automatic motor / transmision ??? its for tha wifes car jejeje she likes the turbo but dont drive manual
Old 05-24-2008, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can i turbo an automatic ?? (robitjcivic)

You can turbo anything as long as you got the $$$$$$$$$$
Old 05-24-2008, 09:17 AM

Default Re: can i turbo an automatic ?? (vtec2late)

ok so i can turbo a stock lx motor or do i swap it for b16 or a LS
Old 05-24-2008, 09:56 AM

Location: ....................................................................................................

you can turbo it but it isn't going to last on that auto trans depends if you drive it like you stole it or not because its just going to fry the clutch rings and torque converter....i've been through turbo auto trans they all suck the only good thing about an automatic is crusing
Old 05-24-2008, 10:00 AM

research research research. you can turbo anything mayne. do you really wanna drive an automatic around? especially an lx? i have a 97 lx.. with the auto tranny. tranny sucks IMO. if you did a manual swap i/h/e and turbo ****'d be fast.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:02 AM

Default Re: can i turbo an automatic ?? (sku3397)

yep its a daily driver and since i dont race so what do u guys recommend
Old 05-24-2008, 10:07 AM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never tried it but...

I *imagine* a turbo would work better on an auto than a manual... Why?

With an auto tranny, you could get a high stall-speed torque converter and spool up the turbo before you launch!

Hrm...

Don't domestics do this with some sort of transmission locking device - stage themselves - lock the tranny - spool the turbo[s] - then hit the 'go button' and launch?

Heh!

Now I gotta go Google this...
Old 05-24-2008, 10:11 AM

Location: ....................................................................................................

i don't think anybody makes high speed torque converters for these hondas not from what i've tried buying
Old 05-24-2008, 11:16 AM

Default Re: can i turbo an automatic ?? (sku3397)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sku3397 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">research research research. you can turbo anything mayne. do you really wanna drive an automatic around? especially an lx? i have a 97 lx.. with the auto tranny. tranny sucks IMO. if you did a manual swap i/h/e and turbo ****'d be fast.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not to be an *** or anything, but don't waste your money on a intake or header, if you are going to turbo. You will not even be able to use them, being that intercooler charge piping will take the place of your intake and a turbo manifold will be inplace of you would be header.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:51 AM

Default Re: can i turbo an automatic ?? (dynimitejack)

jejeje i think you guys are goin off the subject... i can get a 99 LS motor posibly turbo for 450-500 dlls how dont ask lol but i can over here, my question is do i get it or just forget it and spend that money on making my car sound system and some accesories to make it look good, i repeat its a daily driver and for crusin on the weekends......
Old 05-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can i turbo an automatic ?? (BlackDeuceCoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Never tried it but...

With an auto tranny, you could get a high stall-speed torque converter and spool up the turbo before you launch!

Hrm...

Don't domestics do this with some sort of transmission locking device - stage themselves - lock the tranny - spool the turbo[s] - then hit the 'go button' and launch?

Heh!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I like the way your thinkin! althought it may have a better launch, IMO it would be kinda boring to drive
Old 05-24-2008, 12:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Never tried it but...

Hrm...

Heh!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

pretty close, your right the domestic guys do use what is called a transbrake. all that does is lock the tranny in first and reverse at the same time so that it cant move. alot of heat is a result from this but as soon as you hit the button, you can launch. in theory, an automatic would be better on the turbo, first off, you dont close the trottle to shift gears, so you would be in boost. and if you could find a high stall converter, get one that fully locks at 4000rpm, so you can rev the motor till a little under 4grand before the tranny will fully lock the converter and overpower the breaks, then just run a line lock, so that it keeps your breaks locked till you want to go, but trying to find the tranny parts to do this would be near impossible. first off, i dont think the tranny's are strong enough for the extra tq, and if you can find the parts to strengthen the tranny, most are going to have to be custom built, so if your drag racing, and have the money, it would be the "best" setup in theory to run consistancy, but practicallity, i dont think you will be able to find the right parts, or it even beening strong enough.

Modified by Frickr at 2:19 PM 5/24/2008
Old 05-24-2008, 12:16 PM

Default Re: can i turbo an automatic ?? (elektronsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elektronsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I like the way your thinkin! althought it may have a better launch, IMO it would be kinda boring to drive</TD></TR></TABLE>

well on my chevy, i have my tranny with a manual valve body, so even though i dont have to use the clutch, the tranny stays in gear till i push the gearshift up to the next higher gear. but as i said above, i dont see honda having these kinds of parts avaliable. maybe if you have deep enough pocket books, you could find a compnay that could custom build these parts for you.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:17 PM

Default Re: can i turbo an automatic ?? (Frickr)

i have looked into this a little bit, and i found out that TCI actually has parts to strengthen up the transmittion and have a 2500 stall tq converter. so if your still serious about turboing that, i would look into some of tci's http://www.jegs.com/p/TCI/752736/10551/-1/11009 and http://www.jegs.com/p/TCI/752307/10551/-1/10965
Old 05-28-2008, 03:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by robitjcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yep its a daily driver and since i dont race so what do u guys recommend </TD></TR></TABLE>

why do you need the turbo upgrade then?
Old 05-28-2008, 03:34 PM

"an automatic would be better on the turbo, first off, you dont close the trottle to shift gears"......ever hear of powerslamming or flat shifting?
Old 05-28-2008, 03:39 PM

Default Re: (spray_bombed)

automatics are better for dragracing. why do you think most domestic drag cars use an automatic? and how hard is on your clutch, flywheel, axles, and transmittion to "powerslam" or "flat shift" with a high power, high tq turbo car? you will be tearing stuff up left and right.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:46 PM

Default Re: (Frickr)

you can turbo anything, but two Questions:

1. Why the heck would you spend the $$$$$$$$ to boost a DD for your wife??
2. Without any other performance upgrades, you will barely be able to run any psi without blowing it

RETARD!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you can turbo an automatic, but automatic Honda transmissions dont have a large aftermarket following so you'll be limited to a rather low power goal. Many of the questions you are asking are pretty basic. Read the Forced Induction FAQ in the FI forum...it will clear a lot of this up.