Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Can I remove the stock seat rails?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I remove the stock seat rails?

Hey guys I bought some type r replica seats and they don't fit with the rails it came with .

Is there a write up on how to remove the seat rails from my oem seats and make them fit on the new seats? Or is it not possible to remove the oem seat rails?

Any help counts ! Thanks !
Old 06-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I remove the stock seat rails?

I believe what most people do, if the rails are too long, is to use longer bolts and weld a thick piece of metal between the edge of the rail and the body pan of the car
Old 06-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I doubt ur gonna find a write up on that, looks like ur on ur own.
While ur at it, u should do a write up on it... U know, a big long one with lotsa pics...
Old 06-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I was thinking of doing that if it was impossible to remove the rails . The hole on my car is too wide to the right and then the back hole bends down and the seat rail on the type rs doesn't . Just wanted to make sure first if I couldn't .
Old 06-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I swapped out the seat rails from a couple 4dr seats I picked up last summer for the 2dr seats that came with my EG. The 4dr seats sit an inch or two higher than the 2dr seats and I kept hitting my head getting out of the car. It's a pain in the ***, but it can be done with some patience. The tricky part is paring back the seat material enough to gain access to the bolts without damaging the seats. Also, the little metal rings that hold the seat material together on the back of the seats are kind of a pain to undo without mangling them. Be prepared to replace them, if necessary. A wire coat hanger and some metal snips would probably give you the right gauge of metal needed to replace them.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Achroth
Yeah I was thinking of doing that if it was impossible to remove the rails . The hole on my car is too wide to the right and then the back hole bends down and the seat rail on the type rs doesn't . Just wanted to make sure first if I couldn't .
If they're too wide then you're definitely going to have to do some fab work.
Are you good at welding?
If not, have someone fab it for you, you don't want your seats breaking loose during an accident and being liable for incorrectly modifying the seats.

What i've seen in your case is that someone used some metal L shaped brackets. They welded the bracket to the seat rail and tapped a hole through the other part and bolted the bracket to the car.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Joshka89
If they're too wide then you're definitely going to have to do some fab work.
Are you good at welding?
If not, have someone fab it for you, you don't want your seats breaking loose during an accident and being liable for incorrectly modifying the seats.

What i've seen in your case is that someone used some metal L shaped brackets. They welded the bracket to the seat rail and tapped a hole through the other part and bolted the bracket to the car.
Yeah that's what's I was thinking of doing but I didn't think about the whole welding part I was just going to do the metal L and make a hole on each end and then just tighten both down.

I've never welded in my life I don't even have the tools for it lol :/
Old 06-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the rings that hold the fabric down are hog rings readily available from any lobster trap supplier along with a tool that looks like pliers but is made for to crimping the rings

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 06-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by murphy95si
the rings that hold the fabric down are hog rings readily available from any lobster trap supplier along with a tool that looks like pliers but is made for to crimping the rings

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Which are in turn also probably made by some guy in a factory somewhere cutting metal coat hangers into 3/4" long pieces.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

careful with the replica seats... often not safety rated/tested. Sounds like a lot of trouble just to install replicas, they must look pretty good!
Old 06-06-2013, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Achroth
I bought some type r replica seats and they don't fit with the rails it came with .
Really I wonder why....you get what you pay for. also I hope you don't end up getting in a crash with some makeshift rail and a seat that is for "show use only" look on it should say so somewhere on it.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
Really I wonder why....you get what you pay for. also I hope you don't end up getting in a crash with some makeshift rail and a seat that is for "show use only" look on it should say so somewhere on it.

LOL @ "show use only" That should be a the title of a thread sticky in the interior section.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Or if you ghetto use a piece of plywood to mount. Lol I personally wouldn't use replicas as they are not safety rated and inherently dangerous