Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Can I rebuild an automatic transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I rebuild an automatic transmission?

I've been a gearhead since I was 15 years old (I'm 51 now). I can't remember the last time I paid a mechanic for anything (or plumber, or electrician, or appliance repairman for that matter). I've pulled and rebuilt engines, both cars and I/O boats, and at least one manual transmission on a '76 Triumph Spitfire when I was a midshipman at the Naval Academy way back in the late 1980s. I would say my mechanical, troubleshooting, and problem-solving abilities are well above average. I know I'm tooting my horn, but I'm trying to give you an idea of my abilities and experience.

With a good, detailed manual and the proper tools (and now the internet and great forums), there's nothing I couldn't fix...so I think.

Here's my issue. I think that the transmission on my son's 1998 Civic EX coupe is going to go T/U in the future. I've got two codes, P0700 and P0740 that I can't get rid of. I did the troubleshooting procedures in the factory service manual, and it says to replace the transmission. The car is otherwise super clean, so it's worth keeping.

So, I was thinking that I could buy a cheap, used B4RA locally and a master rebuild kit, and at my leisure rebuild the transmission. Then when the transmission finally dies, I'll have one ready to install.

Do I have delusions of grandeur, mechanically, or is this something I could do?
Old 07-14-2014, 04:13 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Can I rebuild an automatic transmission?

Never seen anyone rebuild an automatic.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:14 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/12...uild-pics.html
Old 07-15-2014, 10:41 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Anything can be done. With the help of the helms manual, keeping everything within spec, and the proper tools the rebuild can go smoothly. I also have plans of rebuilding my fucked up auto from ******tech because they really didn't do a good job but I can't afford downtime right now. Surprisingly its still running.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Make it a DIY thread!
Old 07-15-2014, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

shouldnt be too too hard, but i think it would be more economical just too buy a new trans.. Theirs alot of parts that go into the auto trans's... for example..

You have 3 parallel shafts outside of the torque converter unit. Which house R,1,2,3,4 gears and individual clutches for each gear. So i think the rebuild kit would be kind of costly to say the least?

It would be awesome if you could do a write up, and are willing to take the time and money. Im sure it would be much appreciated to all. Good Luck.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles on the transmission?
I know a guy who bought my friend's son's old accord that had 300K miles.
We all swore that the auto trans was toast. This guy knew that with frequent ATF changes with Honda ATF he brought it back to life. This guy prided himself on how far he could stretch out a Honda auto tranny.
I think the ATF is about $10 a quart at the dealership.
There is something magical about Honda auto trannys.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:39 AM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where are you located? i have one from a 00 ex that threw a rod. shifted beautifully.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:52 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's also a lot of friction material in there, and a lot of moving parts. When it's the transmission's time, there's nothing you can do to save it.

That said, it's entirely possible to do, with one caveat - it's quite possibly the most complicated thing you could do on a 5G/6G Civic. Just to put it in perspective, the FSM is 2189 pages long. The autotragic overhaul and diagnostics section alone is 192 pages long. The complete cylinder head section (for the Y5, Y7, AND Y8 heads) is only 47 pages long. The complete engine block section is only 29 pages.

It's a lot of work. Rebuild kits look cheap at first, but when you see the price of the speciality tools you'll need, you'll realize where the real cost is. You seem fairly confident in your abilities, though, so I'll say this. If you don't already have the FSM, buy, borrow, or download it. I mean the real and true factory service manual, not the shitty little thing you can pick up at Autozone - the real thing is over 2000 pages long. Flip to section 14 - Automatic Transmission. Start reading it like a book until you fully understand what you're doing, and how it all works, and then decide if it's worth your time.

If you decide to do it, definitely make a DIY thread. It would be an absofuckinglutely epic thread, I guarantee it.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:58 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by delsolintegra
We all swore that the auto trans was toast. This guy knew that with frequent ATF changes with Honda ATF he brought it back to life. This guy prided himself on how far he could stretch out a Honda auto tranny.
there's nothin' magical about them. Have you ever given the Honda ATF a whiff? Its just like glue.

it is my theory that the ATF, being glue, is what holds these POSes together.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:29 AM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by NotARacist
There's also a lot of friction material in there, and a lot of moving parts. When it's the transmission's time, there's nothing you can do to save it.

That said, it's entirely possible to do, with one caveat - it's quite possibly the most complicated thing you could do on a 5G/6G Civic. Just to put it in perspective, the FSM is 2189 pages long. The autotragic overhaul and diagnostics section alone is 192 pages long. The complete cylinder head section (for the Y5, Y7, AND Y8 heads) is only 47 pages long. The complete engine block section is only 29 pages.

It's a lot of work. Rebuild kits look cheap at first, but when you see the price of the speciality tools you'll need, you'll realize where the real cost is. You seem fairly confident in your abilities, though, so I'll say this. If you don't already have the FSM, buy, borrow, or download it. I mean the real and true factory service manual, not the shitty little thing you can pick up at Autozone - the real thing is over 2000 pages long. Flip to section 14 - Automatic Transmission. Start reading it like a book until you fully understand what you're doing, and how it all works, and then decide if it's worth your time.

If you decide to do it, definitely make a DIY thread. It would be an absofuckinglutely epic thread, I guarantee it.
Got my own place now and a garage. I'm tempted to pick up a junky from the yard and start on it. Gotta finda transmission stand.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:11 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Never seen anyone rebuild an automatic.
I did one for an '03 TL, they're not that bad. I didn't touch the valve body though, there really wasn't any dirt floating around anywhere besides the 3rd gear clutch pack.

You will need a couple of special service tools and a manual, but it's not rocket science.

Make sure you get a trans from an EX. CX/DX/LX is different and wont work properly.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:06 PM
Fish Twig

There's a certain tool you can use to clean the part in the valve body where valve itself slides in and out. I watched a youtube video of a guy rebuilding a j-series auto tranny and he showed what needed cleaning, what needed to be replaced and what to look for. It was definitely an eye opener.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Gotta get a high performance valvebody clutchpacks and torque converter
Old 07-16-2014, 07:51 PM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by shotoutacc0rd
Gotta get a high performance valvebody clutchpacks and torque converter
Point it out specifically for a y8 auto tranny, no point in suggesting it.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Anything can be done. With the help of the helms manual, keeping everything within spec, and the proper tools the rebuild can go smoothly. I also have plans of rebuilding my fucked up auto from ******tech because they really didn't do a good job but I can't afford downtime right now. Surprisingly its still running.
Is the Helms manual better than the green covered factory service manual I downloaded?
Old 07-17-2014, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by delsolintegra
It has 163,000 on it. I've completed the first of three drain and fills. I'm going to complete that and give is some time to see if that P0740 magically goes away before I jump in.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
where are you located? i have one from a 00 ex that threw a rod. shifted beautifully.
Pensacola, FL.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by natemoore
Is the Helms manual better than the green covered factory service manual I downloaded?
One in the same.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARacist

I have read a good portion of the green covered FSM. Not the full 2191 pages, though I have a MIG welder, so I can fabricate any type of puller need. I'll read through the Sec. 14 and price the special tools I can't make.

You may be right in that it may be easier to buy a rebuilt one, or take it to a trusted transmission shop for them to rebuild. I bit the bullet earlier this year when I bought a new SEI outdrive for my boat for $1500. Had to weigh the countless weekends and frustration of trying to piece together two used outdrives, and I opted for the new one.

Rebuilding an automatic transmission is the holy grail if you're a mechanic who likes a challenge, which I do.

Off-topic: When I learned to play the guitar several years ago, I decided that I wanted to build my own Les Paul electric guitar from scratch. Wanted a challenge. Started with a birdseye maple log with bark still on it, a chunk of mahogany, and a neck blank. This is what I made

Back on topic. I label each and every little part and document with tons of photos anytime I do mechanic stuff (for later reference), so if I decide to do this, I'll definitely do a DIY thread.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:19 AM
Fish Twig

Badass!!!

As Ron pointed out yes the Green paperback is the Helms manual any knowledgable Honda enthusiast would refer to. I also spec'ed out the tools I need and it wasn't that bad. I priced out the rebuild master kit from jegs and bought those special brushes for the valve bodies and all honda bearings. Ended up returning them for a rebuild for 1k but I think the 1st gear clutch, is messed up and they only gave me 1yr warranty. So now I'm determine to learn to rebuild one.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:04 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

u just need a rebuild kit. basically comes with new gaskets and seals maybe a few metal rings. there are plenty of kits available online for many cars. ur gears hardly every go bad. do a google search gramps or have ur grandkids do it, not sure how tech savvy u are LOL
^^^
no disrespect just for laughs :D
Old 07-17-2014, 12:00 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need a LOT more than "just a rebuild kit". There are a lot of specialty tools involved in working on automatic transmission, and some aren't the kind of tool you can just roll up to Autozone and buy or borrow.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:29 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

or u could just pull a trans from a junkyard for about $100 bucks and swap them
Old 07-17-2014, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94 accord typeR
u just need a rebuild kit. basically comes with new gaskets and seals maybe a few metal rings. there are plenty of kits available online for many cars. ur gears hardly every go bad. do a google search gramps or have ur grandkids do it, not sure how tech savvy u are LOL
^^^
no disrespect just for laughs :D
Gramps! My kids are 16 and 18. No younguns running around here!

Quick Reply: Can I rebuild an automatic transmission?