Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Can I put AC in my civic hx (has continuous variable trans)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I put AC in my civic hx (has continuous variable trans)

I have a 1998 Honda Civic HX and it has a continuous variable transmission. Can I put an air conditioner in it? I am having a baby next month and I'll be pretty screwed it I can't. It doesn't have an AC button in the car and I keep on getting different answers... PLEASE HELP!!
Old 04-05-2008, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Can I put AC in my civic hx (natalie62085)

ok i have a 1998 civic hx with a manual tranny. to my knowledge the tranny you have doesnt matter as to weather or not you can install the a/c, and the part number is not different for auto or manual as quoted from my installtion manual. i couldnt find a good factory kit anywhere, and i was considering the aftermarket kit, but my research proved, that if i had problems, only their pieces would fit, as their kit is not a copy of the factory by any means, what i did do was a LOT of various searching, and also searching again on ebay. on ebay i found a dealer whose parts is availiable online. i went through their site, which has two sites,
DCHAutomotiveparts.com and http://www.normreevestemecula.com both are basically the same.

anyhoo, i talked to the dealer, and the kit gives you EVERYTHING for a factory install except for the refridgerant itself. they give you all compnents, even the stickers that go under the hood. i got the whole box ground shipped to my apartment for $750 it works great. as for the a/c button here is the fun. these kits are very hard to get ahold of. this dealer parts people figured out that the 99-00 kit is the same except for the little black a/c pushbutton that your finger pushes. [when you say you dont have one, you do its just covered by a delete cover] so they order a 99-00 ac kit, and they order a pushbutton for a 96-98, and push the button through the handle holes in the side of the box, and send it out to you. it is genious. it works great. and the only problem i had, was the high side service port kept seeping out slowly, and i couldnt warrenty the hose, [yes its even waranteed!] because i lost the reciept, so i replaced the care of the valve, ti still seeped out, and well, i work on mercedes for a living, and so i had a spare cap for the 134a high side port, put it on, and bam! its sealed perfectly! so let me know if you have any questions.