Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Can i mismatch D series transmission gears???

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can i mismatch D series transmission gears???

Ive got a turbo d16z6 and im trying to build a custom transmission for drag and street use. Ive had numerous different transmissions in the car and nothing has been perfect. Im not big on transmission internals so dont throw it in my face if its a dumb question to some... I had a CX trans in there, it had a very short gear ratio. I like that for at the drag strip, but cruising on the highway sucked. Now i have an SI trans (as far as i know) that has a longer gear ratio which i love for highway cruises, but isnt the best for drag racing. Id like the best of both worlds!!! Ive heard of people swapping gears in B series transmissions but not on D's. What id like to do, since i have a festival of transmissions in my garage, id like to do a sort of "Frankenstein" build. I want to do 1-3 with shorter gear ratio's and do a longer 4-5 so i have a good ratio for off the line at the strip which is still good for on the highway. Not gonna lie, i do race and with the turboed z6 i love to do rolls on the highway. Not looking for people's oppinions on street racing, im just trying to give you a visual of what im trying to accomplish. Im also going to be installing a phantom LSD so i need to know even if it is possible to swap gear ratios, whether or not that switch is going to through off the LSD unit... Worse comes to worse, ill keep the longer trans and deal with it at the strip
Old 11-03-2008, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can i mismatch D series transmission gears??? (Psychoteen101)

you got your cx and si wrong. yes if you take it apart you can mismatch gears to be what you want.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha. my bad. the short gear trans was from a ZC motor. i new i got something mixed up. Thanks for the reply