Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Can I dent in my oil pan here... without hurting anything?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I dent in my oil pan here... without hurting anything?

I recently removed my down pipe to do my clutch install and noticed that the downpipe has been rubbing on my oil pan!..

You can see here where it's been rubbing...

Can I just smack the oil pan with a hammer a few times and dent it in a bit so it doesn't rub? The oil pickup isn't in the shallow part of the pan is it?

I don't want the downpipe to rub through the pan and lose my oil!

What should I do about this? I don't want to re-cut and re-weld my down pipe if I don't have to...
Old 02-15-2005, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I dent in my oil pan here... without hurting anything? (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
What should I do about this? I don't want to re-cut and re-weld my down pipe if I don't have to...</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's the best solution. I've heard of people having oil pressure issues from a dented pan.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Can I dent in my oil pan here... without hurting anything? (V-Tech Ricey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by V-Tech Ricey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's the best solution. I've heard of people having oil pressure issues from a dented pan.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then i'd imagine it would take a pretty big *** dent.. little minor ones shouldn't effect anything.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I dent in my oil pan here... without hurting anything? (Jimmy)

yeah the dent is too small, it should not effect anything.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Can I dent in my oil pan here... without hurting anything? (EJ1 wilcox)

Meh i would look at putting a few dents in your downpipe instead if possible and i wouldent imageine a SMALL dent would hurt much but be carefull i cant back that up.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:40 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the pickup is in the deep part of the pan. id say if you hit it with a hammer, you may want to take it off at least, and like...hit it lightly and tap it, but make sure it doesnt cause a leak from the gasket, and DONT punch a hole in it, hehe. i say use a hammer, but get a helms manual if you want to check for how deep you can go. but if less than a inch, you'll be fine. Go ahead, but i jus hope theres no damage from the exhaust heat from before. change your oil after this whole thing.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I dent in my oil pan here... without hurting anything? (nocternaldragon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocternaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Meh i would look at putting a few dents in your downpipe instead...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ahhh.... why didn't I think of that?

The part that is rubbing is right at the end of my flex pipe where the diameter is a little larger than the rest of the downpipe (which I didn't take into account when I built the downpipe), I'll just dent that in a bit and I should be good to go... I only need about 1/4 inch or less...

Thanks!

Old 02-16-2005, 07:37 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

My oil pan is all beat to hell...don't worry about it.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Can I dent in my oil pan here... without hurting anything? (BauleyCivic)

As long as the deep part isnt effected (like said before) youll be fine. Your oil pressure might be a little off but not enough to effect anything. Just dont make a huge dent there or you might get oil stuck on turns and that will really mess with your oil pressure.

But in the long run youll be fine.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I dent in my oil pan here... without hurting anything? (Luserkid)

i would much rather dent my dp than touch my oil pan but thats just me. *** alittle length to the DP and your all set i woulud assume. But if oilpan is the way you want to do it...go for it
Old 02-16-2005, 08:15 AM

why not just unbolt it and get a small piece of exhaust wrap and place it over it,bolt back up your dp and cut the rest of the excess material off,it will act like a bushing and will keep it from rubbing.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:57 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (PHOBIA)

Hey people: that dent in that location will do absolutely nothing negative. Leave it alone and turn up your boost. Your oil pressure might increase 1 psi, but if your engine is anything like mine, it can use every bump it can get .

252,500 miles, original engine and tranny, warm idle oil press. of 12-15. Woot.