Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

the good and the bad of turbo

Old 08-10-2006, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the good and the bad of turbo

wel i've ben wanting to buy a tubo kit for my d16y8 for a while an i think i'm at the end of the summer but i was wondering wat is the good and the bad of turbo
Old 08-10-2006, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: the good and the bad of turbo (leroyb)

ugh
you should really be searching for this....

good:
upped HP
same gas milage if you stay out of boost
opertunity to DD the car without boost
high hp goals attainable
home made turbo kits are generally universal
decently cheap power
will respond amazingly to internal upgrades

bad:
you NEED to tune
internal upgrades may be necessairy depending on boost levels
a stronger clutch may be needed
may be unreliable
may sacrifice durability
parts tend to wear out faster
oil changes needed more often
i GUARANTEE speeding tickets

just what came to mind
Old 08-10-2006, 10:10 PM

Default Re: the good and the bad of turbo (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you should really be searching for this....
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok leroy answer these questions:

How much money do you want to spend?
What are your goals for the car?
What will you be using the car for?
What's the condition of your current motor?
Old 08-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i have 2gs in the bank, mainele street racing , the motor in in real good shape
Old 08-10-2006, 10:33 PM

What kit did you want to go with?

Figure about $1500 for that. Then about, what's the prices now, say another $500 for Hondata and a tune?

Then you've blown your savings to have a high 13 to low 14 second car...that worth it to you?
Old 08-10-2006, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea ive be busting my *** all summer for that ,so wat m i going to nead(pistones or things of that matter), wat turbo du u recomend
Old 08-11-2006, 12:48 AM

i recommend you save your money kid. spending everythign you got on your car is not smart. even in when i consider myself broke I always got atleast $1500.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:57 AM

ok man listen i picked up a compete turbo kit for $600. the person i bought it from had it dyno tuned and all and he had the same engine in the same chassis, so i was able to just swap chips. best thing that i ver did to my car. great gain for the price. running low boost and kept it reliable. regualr oil changing and some TLC with it and ur fine. also, its my second car ever owned and its a very good start to learn how to drive but not kill urself if ur responsible. my car is quick not really that fast tho but i learned how to drive much better and i learned alot about driving without risking alot of money and got alot of expereince. be responsible if you never drove a fast car. kids die every day for being stupid and not learning before they do something and its getting worse and worse. whatever ur choice keep that in mind. theres a reason the people u see driving race car are the age they are.... experience

not hating on anyone but thought it was needed for young new-to-the-car-thing guys to remember

my .02 cents
Old 08-11-2006, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (suckmypistons)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suckmypistons &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i recommend you save your money kid. spending everythign you got on your car is not smart. even in when i consider myself broke I always got atleast $1500.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Smart man would do that. Im dumb cause i got 600 in the bank, but do this before going turbo. You dont know what ur gonna be breaking...
Old 08-11-2006, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DeadEnd9009)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suckmypistons &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i recommend you save your money kid. spending everythign you got on your car is not smart. even in when i consider myself broke I always got atleast $1500.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it's a murphy's law kind of thing, once you've spent all your money fixing or upgrading your car... something else will break... learned that the hard way a few times...

save up some more and have some "incaseshit" money...
Old 08-11-2006, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (miahmouse)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by miahmouse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

it's a murphy's law kind of thing, once you've spent all your money fixing or upgrading your car... something else will break... learned that the hard way a few times...

save up some more and have some "incaseshit" money...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have a 2500$ line of credit, and that's my "incaseshit" money, since, i braught up the total owing of the line of credit to 778$ one month and they still only wanted the minimum payment of 10$. i paid off the whole amount, but its good to know that i only need 10$ to stretch the payment of something that fucked up my car.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i have a 2500$ line of credit, and that's my "incaseshit" money, since, i braught up the total owing of the line of credit to 778$ one month and they still only wanted the minimum payment of 10$. i paid off the whole amount, but its good to know that i only need 10$ to stretch the payment of something that fucked up my car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 08-11-2006, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: the good and the bad of turbo (shanepa2001)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shanepa2001 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">. also, its my second car ever owned and its a very good start to learn how to drive but not kill urself if ur responsible. my car is quick not really that fast tho but i learned how to drive much better and i learned alot about driving without risking alot of money and got alot of expereince. be responsible if you never drove a fast car. kids die every day for being stupid and not learning before they do something and its getting worse and worse. whatever ur choice keep that in mind. theres a reason the people u see driving race car are the age they are.... experience

not hating on anyone but thought it was needed for young new-to-the-car-thing guys to remember

my .02 cents </TD></TR></TABLE>

Its always a bad idea for a young drivers to be behind of the wheel of a fast car.
I know a few people that destroyed their cars in a accident due to speeding(acting like a jackass)

with $2k, you should be able to buy a compete turbo kit for your sohc and get it tune.... THE MAIN THING IS FUEL TUNING!

Good luck
Old 08-11-2006, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so let me c if i got this right save up more money and get a cheap turbo (ive ben looking all over the net and the cheapest is like 1500) and have some in case **** happens money
Old 08-11-2006, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got the Edelbrock kit, comes with everything you need. Basically is ment to be put on a near stock D16y8. Its proven to put down 175whp if you have a full exhaust even more.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: the good and the bad of turbo (Carbonciv)

everyone is suggesting 'kits'...
IMO stay away from 'kits'. Typically they sell lesser parts for a higher price. The only advantage with them is most of the time you get all the needed parts in one feel swoop.

You can typically piece together better pars for alot less money if you source them yourself.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by leroyb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...and get a cheap turbo...</TD></TR></TABLE>

No. the turbo is the heart and soul... IMO buy the best turbo and wastegate money can buy. if you must go cheap, do it on things like diy piping... used/remaned parts... etc
Old 08-11-2006, 08:55 AM

piece'n together a turbo is much cheaper then buying a complete turbo kit alone. one thing that you wanna keep in mind is, is that if you buy turbo parts on line, be careful what you buy. there are a lot of half-*** cheap made turbos online that are selling for really cheap. it might sound like a good deal but remember, you get what you pay for!
Old 08-11-2006, 08:57 AM

and one more thing.......anyone that's owned or driven a turbo car knows, that once you go turbo, you can't go back!!!!!!
Old 08-11-2006, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well if a wanted to piece a turbo my self wat du i nead to buy
Old 08-11-2006, 09:14 AM

turbo exhaust manifold, intercooler,( doesn't need to be all big), oil feed line, and return line, but heres a tip...if you have access to a welder, or know someone that knows how to weld real good then it's gonna save you even more money! they can measure, cut, and weld together your whole i/c piping and exhaust down pipe for you. thats exactly what i did, and i spent less then $12 or 1,300 on the whole kit! besides the turbo, wastegate, get a walbro 255 lph intank fuel pump, bigger injectors, blowoff valve, if you can look up and buy a motorola 2.5 bar map sensor, that way you won't have to run a stand alone fuel management system, or check-valves! other then that a turbo timer, boost controller, (if you want to boost more) optional.... and it's always a good thing to have a boost gauge and an oil pressure gauge! autometer gauges are cheap!
Old 08-11-2006, 09:16 AM

Default Re: the good and the bad of turbo (u_gnit)

one more thing! a good program for you set-up and you should be set unless i forgot something that i didn't mention!
Old 08-11-2006, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cool du u know of n e links where i can find this
Old 08-11-2006, 09:56 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by leroyb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cool du u know of n e links where i can find this</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah: the entire forced induction forum here on Honda-Tech. Go do some research and stop wasting our time.