Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

can a gas tank rust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can a gas tank rust?

my car has been sitting around for almost 2 months. one month ago i noticed all the gas evaporated and i was wondering if the gas tank can rust if theres no gas for that period of time?
Old 10-11-2006, 06:45 PM

Default Re: can a gas tank rust? (mtran)

probably not id say,are gas tanks even made of iron?i dont know but even if they are,they are closed and rust is a chemical reaction of water and some stuff in the iron which makes rust.So since theres no water id say no rust
Old 10-11-2006, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: can a gas tank rust? (Felliph3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Felliph3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">probably not id say,are gas tanks even made of iron?i dont know but even if they are,they are closed and rust is a chemical reaction of water and some stuff in the iron which makes rust.So since theres no water id say no rust</TD></TR></TABLE>

Gas tanks can rust. I know because I've seen it. Though I saw it on a older ('80's) crown vic...might be different w/ Hondas or changed as the years did.

EDIT:
@OP

I doubt your gas tank rusted. The gasket on your gas tank cap probably went or something so the gas was evaporating. Those things tend to go.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:28 PM
DXH

Default Re: can a gas tank rust? (Felliph3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Felliph3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">probably not id say,are gas tanks even made of iron?i dont know but even if they are,they are closed and rust is a chemical reaction of water and some stuff in the iron which makes rust.So since theres no water id say no rust</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah they can rust bro.. it rains and snows depending where you live im guessing you will drive your car under certian wet conditions.. water will touch your tank but itsd not like the tank will rust because of just that so probably if your car is like 30 years old you might see it start to
Old 10-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can a gas tank rust? (DXH)

well the gas evaporated thru the fuel line taht runs to the motor since there was no motor in my car it was just laying there. i highly doubt water got into it, but i never know.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: can a gas tank rust? (mtran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mtran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well the gas evaporated thru the fuel line taht runs to the motor since there was no motor in my car it was just laying there. i highly doubt water got into it, but i never know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow.....yeah that's kinda important piece of information you left out there.

I'm actually speechless...

That's like saying "I left a cup of water in the deck for a month in the arizona sun and all the water's gone...IS IT A LEAK!?"

Or better yet.

"my car won't start" when you fail to mention you moved the motor into the backseat with an 80mph parking job and the help of a telephone poll....

Yeah, the gas DID evaporate through the OPEN line.

The gas tank / fuel system is usually a sealed system. WHen your hose is hanging like that it's not sealed.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can a gas tank rust? (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wow.....yeah that's kinda important piece of information you left out there.

I'm actually speechless...

That's like saying "I left a cup of water in the deck for a month in the arizona sun and all the water's gone...IS IT A LEAK!?"

Or better yet.

"my car won't start" when you fail to mention you moved the motor into the backseat with an 80mph parking job and the help of a telephone poll....

Yeah, the gas DID evaporate through the OPEN line.

The gas tank / fuel system is usually a sealed system. WHen your hose is hanging like that it's not sealed. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well put
Old 10-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can a gas tank rust? (OrangeCiviC251)

Ahahahaha. Nice.

But yea, gas tanks can rust. Both inside and out. I Know people who have had to replace their civic gas tanks.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well now that we know the full story of how the gas got out...what about the possibility of moisture going in through the fuel line...
Old 10-11-2006, 09:46 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Default Re: (alacard)

Your chances of getting any significant amount of moisture through nearly the entire fuel system is nearly impossible.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Felliph3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">probably not id say,are gas tanks even made of iron?i dont know but even if they are,they are closed and rust is a chemical reaction of water and some stuff in the iron which makes rust.So since theres no water id say no rust</TD></TR></TABLE>Water does tend to make rust of iron the easiest, however corrosion can occur without the presense of major amounts of water, rust in itself is Iron-Oxide, ie Iron that has oxidized. Iron touching a dissimiliar metal can also speed up the process, but as stated a gas tank takes a while to rust to any degree that would even come close to making a difference.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had my gas tank rust. It was on a 1982 Ford EXP. It sat in storage for several years, and it began to rust from the inside. I had to replace the tank because chunks of rust kept clogging up my fuel filter.