Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Can ethanol gas cause a clogged filter.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can ethanol gas cause a clogged filter.....

Guys, several years ago I bought a nice 94 EX for a parts car......no title. Hated to chop up a complete car so every few months I stick in a battery, fire it up and drive it around the yard. Car runs great. Well, just applied for a replacement title and have began getting it road ready. New tires, oil change, coolant change, insurance and a trip to the gas station. Fresh gas on top of some very old gas. Get home and the next day car will not crank. Stick in all the regular "new parts", no crank. Then squirt in some gas, fires right up, runs fine. Put all the "old parts" back in, main relay , dizzy, she fires right up and I am driving all over town. Next morning, no start, squirt in some gas, fires right up, runs fine.

I just bought a new fuel filter and will install. Just wondering if the ethanol maybe has cut the crud in the tank loose and clogged the filter or if it has damaged the fuel pump.

I have heard that when ethanol gas is first installed in older underground tanks, it will cut loose all kinds of crap. I was told the cost of prior cleaning was rather expensive and that is why some Mom and Pop stations stayed with non-ethanol gas as long as possible. Also heard the gasoline filters at the gas stations must be changed ofter when first going to ethanol. Any e-pinions........
Old 05-22-2011, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can ethanol gas cause a clogged filter.....

I don't know much about ethanol, but I do know with bio diesel it is like a enema to the tank. I use to help fix some old 240d's and 300d's and those things were bad when people used straight b100. You can drop your tank and degrease it with power purple or something like that. This is what we did and cleaned out the screen. Give it a shot.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bandit67
Get home and the next day car will not crank. Stick in all the regular "new parts", no crank. Then squirt in some gas, fires right up, runs fine. Put all the "old parts" back in, main relay , dizzy, she fires right up and I am driving all over town. Next morning, no start, squirt in some gas, fires right up, runs fine.
It will not crank? ??? Or it will crank but refuse to start?

If it cranks but does not start I'd suspect the distributor cap, especially if it's been sitting a while. It gets moist and cruddy with disuse. If that's the problem then change the wires too.

Ethanol just sucks all around but from what you describe bad gas would not yet be a prime suspect.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it starts everytime you spray gas in i would also include the main fuel relay as a possibility. also, why are you running ethanol? is the car tuned/has it been altered in a way such that ethanol can be safely used?
Old 05-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I say ethanol gas , but what I mean is E 10. That is 10 % ethanol added to the gas tankers before they deliver to the stations. I have had four stations in my area that were selling pure gas until a month ago. Something has happened in Georgia and all but one was forced to start selling E 10.

The motor cranks and will run after I squirt a shot of gas in the plentium. Today I changed the fuel filter and emptying out the old gas , it got real dark.......lots of bad stuff. Installed new filter and it fired right up, cold. Felt maybe that was the culprit, drove around a few miles, switch it off and it cranked right up. Let it set the rest of the day and it took a lot of spinning over before it finally cranked up.. Runs fine after it cranks. I think my next move will be to pull the pump and replace it. Depending on what I find in the tank will determine if it will be pulled cleaned/replaced.

I hate our Congressman forcing us into buying E 10 and now wanting it to go to E15 or E 20. My older cars suffer big time.