Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

can cv axles cause my car not to move ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can cv axles cause my car not to move ?

Just recently installed a used engine runs fine but my car wont move it only jerks forward in all gear and it jerks backwards in reverse. I know the passenger side axle is in correct but the drive side im not to sure about that one im trying to put it in back in again but dam its hard trying to pry it back out so im still at it.But im wondering could this be causing me not being able to move ? If you wondering its the inner cv axle basically its in two parts its that tripod looking thing and those 3 sliver bearing things and the hub part now that part is still stuck in the transmission.but for now i just put everything back into place on the cv axle same result every time But Its funny because in the air both wheels turn freely but on the ground no movement only jerking.So i guess what im asking is can a cv joint on the driver side not fully in the transmission cause this weird behavior ?
Old 06-09-2018, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: can cv axles cause my car not to move ?

Does the speedometer go up when you put in gear (wheels on the ground) and try to move?

Is the transmission fluid full?
Old 06-09-2018, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the reply mk378 Does the speedometer go up when you put in gear ? Nope only the tach meter moves when trying to move in gear .. Is the transmission fluid full? I think but i should have mentioned sometime i get a huge transmission leak when starting my car but i just refill it when it happens.You know the drain plug where a ratchet go you know the other ratchet looking plug hole above that one yeah that where it leaks from sometime when starting my car. But for now im gonna go ahead and try to get this driver side axle out again and re seat it and see what happen.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donnieb22000
Thanks for the reply mk378 Does the speedometer go up when you put in gear ? Nope only the tach meter moves when trying to move in gear .. Is the transmission fluid full? I think but i should have mentioned sometime i get a huge transmission leak when starting my car but i just refill it when it happens.You know the drain plug where a ratchet go you know the other ratchet looking plug hole above that one yeah that where it leaks from sometime when starting my car. But for now im gonna go ahead and try to get this driver side axle out again and re seat it and see what happen.
Symptoms of severely underfilled transmission. Fix the massive leak, fill with Honda Genuine ATF problem solved. Also fix the BROKEN CV axle by replacing it with a quality one. Place car in NEUTRAL and jack up the Driver's Side. Use a prybar with a gentle prying motion and it should come right out.

Also we need to know what engine, year and trim level as well as auto or 5spd-see the post rules for more info.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...sting-3002401/
Old 06-10-2018, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Jonsey you may be right because last night i drained the transmission fluid and only a quart came out into the oil pan. And i put 2 quarts in well actually more then that because of the leak probably like 3 Ive seen it leak from the plug above the drain plug when starting sometime .sorry i forgot to mention its a 1993 del sol s model with a .d15b7 5 speed engine. Im gonna refill and try again and see what happen:
Old 06-13-2018, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess the driver side axle wasn't all the way in and it was low on transmission fluid- But I think i got it now hopefully the leaking was from that driver side seal Once again thanks for the help.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Trying to go when it won't because the fluid is low is really hard on an automatic transmission. You should fix all leaks / confirm no leak so it doesn't leak out on the road, which often leads to burning out the transmission.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Trying to go when it won't because the fluid is low is really hard on an automatic transmission. You should fix all leaks / confirm no leak so it doesn't leak out on the road, which often leads to burning out the transmission.
Thanks for the reply mk378 glad to say i think i got it now so far i don't see any leak's And its been about a day now with my new axle in place Now next i have to tackle my cooling system i think i hook all my hoses up right my radiator is still holding fluid with no leaks but still i feel somethings wrong lol but ill check it out .And my alternator gets really hot the part where the belt go on i think it too tight but anyway ill check it out .
Old 06-17-2018, 05:16 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mk378
Trying to go when it won't because the fluid is low is really hard on an automatic transmission.

OP doesn't have an automatic transmission...
Old 06-17-2018, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94EG8
OP doesn't have an automatic transmission...

Doh...change the advice to be Honda Genuine MTF and look into doing a clutch job while you're at it. The lack of fluid being hard on a transmission is true for both auto and manual-obviously much more so for an automatic.