Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Can changing shocks and springs correct camber?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can changing shocks and springs correct camber?

I have a 93 civic coupe that used to have some pretty negative camber when I first installed Eibach Sportlines back in 95 (with stock shocks.) Over a year ago, I installed some Ground Controls with KYB adjustables and I've noticed the camber isn't as bad. Checking the tire wear revealed almost the same thing, as the treadwear wasn't as bad as before. Can changing the suspension (i.e. shocks and springs) correct camber as opposed to having only lowering springs with stock shocks, on 93 civic?

Note: I didn't actually measure if the camber was corrected at an alignment shop, I'm just going by the visuals and the treadwear.

thanks
Old 03-04-2003, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can changing shocks and springs correct camber? (Kamikaze-Kart)

I'm not really understanding what you are asking. But, negative camber all depens on how low you are dropped. The lower you go, the more negative camber you will have.

The only way to correct camber is using the washer / bolt trick, actual camber kit, or not lowering the car too much. That's about all the options you have.
Old 03-04-2003, 05:28 AM

Default Re: Can changing shocks and springs correct camber? (Hybrid93Hatch)

I have a 2.5-inch drop on the front and rears right now, and the camber doesn't look as bad as it did with the same drop from the Eibach Sportline springs. So what I'm asking is, can the Ground Control/KYB set-up reduce negative camber because it wasn't just installing lowering springs, but changing the shocks as well?
Old 03-04-2003, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can changing shocks and springs correct camber? (Kamikaze-Kart)

I have a 2.5-inch drop on the front and rears right now, and the camber doesn't look as bad as it did with the same drop from the Eibach Sportline springs. So what I'm asking is, can the Ground Control/KYB set-up reduce negative camber because it wasn't just installing lowering springs, but changing the shocks as well?
It doesn't matter what springs / shocks you are using. It depends on how low you drop the car. Even if the camber appears to be in good status, the toe can be wayyyyyy out of whack giving you really bad wear on the tires. You should get an alignment once the new set-up settles in reguardless.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Can changing shocks and springs correct camber? (Hybrid93Hatch)

negative camber all depends on how low you are dropped. The lower you go, the more negative camber you will have.
Thats all there is to it.
And I think the lower you go, the more toe out increases.
Which is what's really killing your tires.