Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

can a car with a salvaged title be changed to clean?

Old 11-16-2003, 02:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can a car with a salvaged title be changed to clean?

i was wondering if a car has a salvaged title if it could be changed to a clean title somehow. my co worker was telling me something about how cars on the east coast can change titles a lot and end up with a clean title even thought it's salvaged. is this possible? i thought if it is salvaged it would be stamped on the original title of the car? i was just wondering because i want to buy a car from the east coast and have it shipped over to the west coast. needless to say this is going to take a lot of time for me to fly out there and inspect it and then purchase it and i just dont want to waste my time and get ripped off if the owner tells me it has a clean title and it is really salvaged. Also my friend was telling me something about never buying cars from the east coast since they put salt on the road and how everything on the car is probably rusted already. if anyone can help me out with these questions it would be appreciated.

p.s do you guys think i should buy the car and have it shipped to california? or should i just look for a car in california? like i said the only thing that worries me is the possible salvaged title
Old 11-16-2003, 05:34 AM

dunno bout the states but here in canada it is possible.
its just that the car needs to be totally rebuilt and inspected first, once the inspection is passed the car's title is changed to rebuilt.
and i heard the same thing bout east coast cars, its always better to buy a car from your area. but if you're gonna rebuild it yourself does it matter??
Old 11-16-2003, 06:37 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

In georgia it is possible. First you MUST get the salvage title in your name. Then you must DOCUMENT with photos and reciepts the work you did or had someone do to restore the car to running condition. Then you have to pay $50 for a state inspector to come look at the vehicle and if you have pictures of the condition the vehicle WAS in before you fixed it, it is more convincing to the inspector. After the inspector checks you off, you should be able to apply for a driveable title on the car.

I don't think the title gets "wiped clean" after you have a title reinstated, it's just brought back to working capability. You can always check on carfax to see if the vehicle has ever been reported of wrecking.

The salt thing is just for the north...they NEVER salt the streets here in atlanta.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:04 AM

Default Re: (DaX)

i don't think you can ever go from a salvage title to a clean title

however you can go from a salvage to a rebuilt title
Old 11-16-2003, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek9mugen)

MY dad has a salvaged title on his 95EX and his car had no body damage, it was just stolen and stripped. Wonder if thats possible in Texas.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:41 AM

Default Re: (KiDSoL)

do they use salt on the roads in northern virginia? i am not going to rebuild a car i want it to have a clean title that is all. i just wanted to make sure. but if it is rebuilt it will say on the title right? then i think i am safe. thanks guys . now if someone could just clarify the salt thing for me in virginia. i just heard that i should never buy cars from florida because they are mostly flood damaged and can be hidden. i don't know i just heard that.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicjdmgsr)

yes, they salt roads in NOVA
Old 11-16-2003, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

there ARE tricks...

I don't know the specific run down... but you CAN get a salvage title completely wiped clean...

I KNOW it envolves registering it in different states though...

IE. Ct salvage titled car is purchased, it's sold to someone in Va (again I don't know which state it is). Then it's re-sold back to CT and it's clean... I don't know the EXACT process but I KNOW it at the very least was possible 2 years or so ago...

The company I work for sells salvage title cars... they're not all bad by any means... most of the one's we get are actually pretty clean... some are nightmare cases though...

Oh and DO NOT trust carfax or anyother report for what it says... My car comes up clean and it's been reported stolen... NO mention of it at all.. reported to boston P.D. AND my insurance (no claim filed)... but it doesn't show up... and it lists me as the 1st or second owner... I'm like the 3rd AT LEAST.
Old 11-16-2003, 04:38 PM

Default Re: (NonovUrbizniz)

will it show though that it changed titles in different states? because i will just steer clear of it if the carfax report shows that it has been through different states. but even if the title gets wiped clean does that mean the actual paper title won't have anythng stamped on it at all abouti it being salvaged?

p.s. how bad was the damage when you reported it stolen? just because it was stolen doesn't mean that it isn't a clean title. the title would only change if the insurance company deemed your car irrepairable and paid you off for it and then you rebuilt it right?
Old 11-16-2003, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I didn't make a claim but it was reported to both police and insurance...

I didn't expect it to have a salvage title... I expected the carfax to show it... it's supposed to report if a vehicle had been stolen I thought.

Again I'm not totally clear on how it works with clearing a title... I know it ends up with a CRYSTAL clear title though... the transfer of title between states is probobly shown though...

It's somewhere in the middle south... I'm just not sure where... a friend of mine from jersey used to do it for his cousin...
Old 11-16-2003, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there ARE tricks...

I don't know the specific run down... but you CAN get a salvage title completely wiped clean...

I KNOW it envolves registering it in different states though...

IE. Ct salvage titled car is purchased, it's sold to someone in Va (again I don't know which state it is). Then it's re-sold back to CT and it's clean... I don't know the EXACT process but I KNOW it at the very least was possible 2 years or so ago...

The company I work for sells salvage title cars... they're not all bad by any means... most of the one's we get are actually pretty clean... some are nightmare cases though...

Oh and DO NOT trust carfax or anyother report for what it says... My car comes up clean and it's been reported stolen... NO mention of it at all.. reported to boston P.D. AND my insurance (no claim filed)... but it doesn't show up... and it lists me as the 1st or second owner... I'm like the 3rd AT LEAST.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's called title washing, and it's illegal...at least here in Nebraska it is.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ptran13)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ptran13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's called title washing, and it's illegal...at least here in Nebraska it is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He asked if it was possible... not legal...

As I said my buddy from JERSEY did it for his "COUSIN"... I never tried to incinuatte it was a legal process... but people do it.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If its a rebuild it should have a "new" vin or code on a decal in the door jam and it should state "rebuildable" on the title. At least thats how its done in Fla.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:33 PM
JV
Who?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh and DO NOT trust carfax or anyother report for what it says... </TD></TR></TABLE>