Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Can bondo easily be removed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can bondo easily be removed?

Okay, there's this guy who has the shaved-molding thing going on and also the shaved-rain gutter thing on the roof. Anyway, he says that since he used bondo to do it, it can easily be removed. This is coming from a guy who is trying to sell me his car by the way. So, is it true what he says that it can easily be removed? If so, how is this done? The car is all primered up anyway, ready for paint. TIA
Old 10-08-2004, 10:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Removing Bondo = hammer + chisel + sandpaper.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:59 PM
New User

Default Re: (Kendall)

yea the bondo would have to grinded out,..not really hard work but its gonna be time consuming and tedious,...the correct way to shave the rain gutter is to weld in a metal strip than mudd it up to make it look smooth,..but theres really no point in shaving the rain gutters,..they serve their purpose
Old 10-08-2004, 11:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kendall &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Removing Bondo = hammer + chisel + sandpaper.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The guys car has shaved moldings and shaved rain gutter (on roof). I don't like that crap. Plus, I have a set of JDM thin side moldings that I want to put on and the shaved rain gutter just looks retarded to me as well. So, you do think/know it can easily be removed? Should I go ahead and purchase the car anyway?
Old 10-08-2004, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can bondo easily be removed? (TallAssFilipino)

i just took the bondo off my side moldings. its a bitch to do it.

use a chisel and a hammer to knock most of it out.

then use some 180 grit sandpaper to sand it down.
then wet sand it with some 320 sandpaper and you should be
good to go.

its just time consuming. if you have an air compressor and a DA , it might not
take as long, just a lot of sandpaper.

have fun if you get the car.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:13 PM

Default Re: (TallAssFilipino)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TallAssFilipino &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The guys car has shaved moldings and shaved rain gutter (on roof). I don't like that crap. Plus, I have a set of JDM thin side moldings that I want to put on and the shaved rain gutter just looks retarded to me as well. So, you do think/know it can easily be removed? Should I go ahead and purchase the car anyway?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If it were me, I'd wait and find a car that's a bit more visually unmodified. There's nothing more annoying than unmodifying someone elses mods to make room for your own plans.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kendall &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If it were me, I'd wait and find a car that's a bit more visually unmodified. There's nothing more annoying than unmodifying someone elses mods to make room for your own plans.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The thing is it's a clean titled Si for pretty cheap. The only thing bugging me is the shaved moldings and shaved rain gutter. On whatever hatch I was getting, I had already planned on getting it painted another color anyway. As far as the waiting for a car that's a bit more visually unmodified, I've been doing that long enough anyway. My WTB ad for a stock, or close to stock, Si has been up for a long time now. And a stock or even decent Si, for a good price, are getting harder and harder to come by.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:44 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TallAssFilipino &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The thing is it's a clean titled Si for pretty cheap. The only thing bugging me is the shaved moldings and shaved rain gutter. On whatever hatch I was getting, I had already planned on getting it painted another color anyway. As far as the waiting for a car that's a bit more visually unmodified, I've been doing that long enough anyway. My WTB ad for a stock, or close to stock, Si has been up for a long time now. And a stock or even decent Si, for a good price, are getting harder and harder to come by. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Just a suggestion. If you're willing to put forth the time and effort, then go for it.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:07 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kendall &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Just a suggestion. If you're willing to put forth the time and effort, then go for it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, I appreciate the feedback. But yeah, I'm willing to put some elbow-grease into removing the bondo or even any other work on the car. Just as long as the idea of taking it off is a cinch and isn't anything major. Just, I never knew it can be removed with a few simple steps. I've never had to work with bondo before. Putting it on, nor taking it off. Thanks again though.

Modified by TallAssFilipino at 3:15 AM 10/9/2004
Old 10-09-2004, 01:46 AM

Well if he is using bondo to fix his body work then what did he do to the rest of the car? Bondo = ****. I dont know anyone that uses bondo for anything they want for a length of time, it cracks hella easy, then water can get under it and rust the car out. I would stay away and find a unmolested car.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:28 AM

Default Re: (cappa)

If he used bondo to do the shaved door and shaved rain gutter thing, you don't think it's worth getting if I want to reverse that process? As in taking the bondo off.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:31 AM

If he used a grinder and took the paint off all the way it could be hard to remove it but if he just sanded it with 80 grit or something it might come off easily. Why did he do all this then figure he wants to sell the car? Is he giving you a good *** deal on it?
Old 10-09-2004, 02:42 AM

Default Re: (cappa)

He actually bought it as just a shell. He was building it from ground up. Turns out he doesn't have enough funds to continue with it due to school and he just moved to I think it was either Hollywood or Beverly Hills area or something. But I'll be going over to his place this weekend to see the car in person. Here are a few pics of the car...

So, what do you think?
Old 10-09-2004, 08:27 AM

Now I don't know whether to get it or not. Will the bondo for the shaved moldings and shaved rain gutters really be a big deal? Pictures are above.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:38 AM

Here is something Ive learned over the years. DONT BUY A PRIMERED CAR. Sorry for the caps but that was something I had to emphisise. When a car is primered the finish is dull, therefor you cannot see any other damage on the vehicle. You will have to run your hands all over the car to feel for damage.

Odds are there are plenty of other dings and dents you havent even seen. Plus who knows what was filled in and if it was even done properly.

I also wanted to add that it will not be easy to take off the bondo he put on. A grinder like stated above would help but then you will also leave grinder marks in the metal so you will need to put filler to smooth those out as well.

IMO, its not worth it.

Mike!
Old 10-09-2004, 08:48 AM

Default Re: (Mikerocosms)

The doors and fender I don't really care about, just the quarter panel and roof. I can always replace the doors and fenders. But again just to do that, the price of the car should go down even less. BAH!

I think I'm just going to end up getting a DX and finding an Si roof later on. The whole and entire reason why I wanted an Si in the first place. And I don't like them aftermarket moonroof's. These Si's are getting harder and harder to come by especially for a decent one with a decent price out here. Everybody is snatching up on them to quickness.

What if I can get the Si above for $2K-$2.5K do ya think it's worth it or not? It's power-everything. Ahhh... forget it. I mean, I've always hated the primered thing too. But also, even when a car is painted, that hides any hidden damanges even more as well. Man, I just don't know.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:54 AM

Youve still got the raingutters to deal with. First off there shouldnt be bondo on any top surfaces (they get the hottest and when your metal expands and contracts your bondo will crack). Plus the whole roof is primered, who knows if there is any damage to it other than the raingutters. Whould you like the suprise of having to get a roof panel?

All Im doing is giving you warnings. There are a lot of red flags on this car. Just be patient and youll find an SI somewhere.

Mike!
Old 10-09-2004, 09:40 AM

Default Re: (Mikerocosms)

Thanks. The search continues...
Old 10-09-2004, 09:43 AM

use stripper. it works. just takes a long time.. layer at a time.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TERRANCe)

If you don't mind looking for cars out of your local area, try eBay. There is usually at least 1 clean 92-95 Si at any given time:

http://motors.search.ebay.com/...ridZ2
Old 10-09-2004, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EricUSC)

Whenever i strip body filler and paint I use

This 3M wheel strips body filler in seconds. Even thick layers.

Good luck bro.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:59 AM

Default Re: (EKFerioHawaii)

So you guys think I should still go for it? What about the rain gutter on the roof? As far as looking out of state, I don't have the budget for it. But I still do look for Si's on eBay as well.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IMHO I wouldn't do it, I don't know how hard it is to remove that stuff but I'd wait it out for another hatch to come along. That price is a bit up there for that thing. I bought a 93 Si with 68k original owner and all that good stuff for $2,800 about 15 months ago. They are out there you just have to wait it out.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:16 PM

Default Re: (JdmEGHatch6)

If you have a sand blaster not a syohon feedone but a pressure system that is even better to remove the stuff. You need a good air compressor other wise the compressor wont be able to keep up. and when I did my 64 it had a bunch of fill in the rear quarter and with the pressure sand blasting tank it took no time to get it out of all the spots and not damage the body panels. But stay away from it, if you take the bondo out of the roof with a wire wheel you can do it but when you get close to the glass front and back you can take a chance of ******* up the trim and does he still have the plastic **** to go in the roof? Sides wouldnt be that bad, just do the sides and leave the roof, if you are set on buying THIS car.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TallAssFilipino &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If he used bondo to do the shaved door and shaved rain gutter thing, you don't think it's worth getting if I want to reverse that process? As in taking the bondo off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

have you ever messed with bondo? well since he didnt tack weld sheet metal in the doors and roof, thatll leave you with a shitload of bondo filling in the gaps. itll be a PITA to remove. very time consuming.

Quick Reply: Can bondo easily be removed?