Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

????can anyone help???? need detailed instructions on installing clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ????can anyone help???? need detailed instructions on installing clutch

recently i was driving my car and i noticed my clutch starting to slip. i purchased a new clutch and i am ready to install it. does anyone have step by step pics or very detailed instructions on how to install it. pretty much have a good idea, just want to make sure so i dont mess it up. thanks honda tech members
Old 08-23-2005, 04:16 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ????can anyone help???? need detailed instructions on installing clutch (turbosohcEJ)

The most helpful thing I can suggest is to go to you local auto parts store and pick up a Chilton or Haynes manual. Both are inexpensive, easy to find, and very helpful for all sorts of repairs and projects.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Re: ????can anyone help???? need detailed instructions on installing clutch (cxSHOE)

97 coupe with d16 y8
Old 08-23-2005, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ????can anyone help???? need detailed instructions on installing clutch (turbosohcEJ)

do you have air tools?
Old 08-23-2005, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.honda-acura.net/for...39802

Not sure how good this is (I have never tried a clutch myself) but it seems to be very detailed and whatnot. I beleive this writeup was done on a 99 EX (your same motor etc so it should work for ya)

Good luck on it, I dont have the ***** to try it on mine yet
Old 08-23-2005, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is the way that i can rember off the the top of my head there may be somethings left out but its not that hard this is an idea to let you know what to expect while doing this i am not reliable for you or how you use this information. with that out of the way i hope you have a good learning experience and have fun.

so i take it you probbably dont have a lift so you will need a jack, jackstands or blocks of wood, a decent set of tools (dont use cheap tools they will break), a cheater bar (very useful), a torq wrench, a hammer, and a friend, if you have air tools this will make it alot easier on you. loosen the two front tires, jack the car up you should be able to tell when then place the jack stands, take off the two front tires, you have to pull the axles out to do this you will a 32mm socket take out the nut then move the front disk brakes aside you now need a thick screw driver to pry the axle out sometimes you can pull them out do this to both sides, i suggest replacing them so you dont have to do it later up to you though, first thing you want to do is drain the tranny, then while its draining start unpluging the wire-harness that are on or connected to the tranny, you only have to unplug the connecters, take off the starter, then i suggest you take the shift linkage out this is a pain in the a$$, so crawl underto were the shift linkage meets the tranny there is a black rubber cover slide that back to see the bitch pin you need a i believe a 10mm bolt one you can beat the hell out of then you line it up to the pin and hit it till the pin comes out the top (this may take time so dont get discouraged) then you disconect the shifter stabilizer the bar next to the fhit linkage, now you should take off the cluth slave cylinder (this is so you dont bend the lines in the process) to do this you have to use the speacial wrench cant think of the name of it, start taking off the bolts that are connect the tranny to the motor (tranny mounts are last to take off), you not have to take you exhaust manifold or the down piope off you just use a i believe its a 17 or 19mm wrench then another wrench connect them so you can get more leverage they should come off with a little muscle, after you do this take off the tranny mounts the top one being the last, then slowly take the top tranny mount the motor should sag down in an angle you need the thick screw driver to help pry the tranny from the motor while you friend is pulling out towards him then once you guys can pull it out slowly bring it to the ground your clutch should be showing YOU HAVE TO HAVE A SET OF 12 POINT SOCKETS to take off the clutch, once you do that then you should resurface your fly wheel so take it to a locsl shop (unless you dont care about warranty issues + you might as well do it now and the right way), make sure you replace your pilot bearing just give the new one to the shop have them put it in there should be no extra cost, then you replace your throw out bearing its insde the tranny its self explanitory.
thats what i can think of off the top of my head so just use common sense its not that hard have fun. o ya sorry i dont have picture i know it would help.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:57 PM

Oh god, please find a lift. I don't like the idea of unbolting a transmission while on jackstands. BTW your clutch should have come with a pilot tool, it's just a little POS plastic, however it is vital for lining up your clutch to the tranny's output shaft. It's basically self-explanatory, line it up and poke the hole...
Old 08-23-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Re: ????can anyone help???? need detailed instructions on installing clutch (EG-SI(rII))

thanks guys. u were all help im going to start working on it satu rday