Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

camber kits, are they worth it

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: West Bakalakadaka St., Durka Durka Mohammed Gihad, WMDs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camber kits, are they worth it

putting a 2 and 1/4 drop on my 97 EG. I have the 14" HX wheels. Does anybody think I will need a camber kit. I really don't want to buy one because I'm going to pay a shitload to get the whole thing aligned. I've heard that the toe in is the major problem when it comes to tire wear. Anybody that can help. Thanks
Old 03-30-2004, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you lower the car, your probably gonna need an alignment anyways, you dont want to be getting new tires every 5 months, it not worth it, trust me
Old 03-30-2004, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: camber kits, are they worth it (97hxvtec)

when you get your car allingned they will tell you your camber if its much over -3 you might want to get a camber kit.

i lowered my 00si about 2.8 inches and i had -1.7 in front and -2.7 in back i think and mine are fine

i think you will be more than ok specially with 14s
Old 03-30-2004, 05:39 PM

Default Re: camber kits, are they worth it (chads)

I disagree......

Buy the camber kit.
It will save your tires (which will run out every 6mos. w/o it).
It will help correct the geometry of the suspension, which will in turn affect the drivability, and handling.
Believe me...
I droped mine 2.5" and my camber was out almost 3 deg.
I got lazy, didn't install the camber kit, and spent $1000 in tires before I had it corrected, IN ONE YEAR! Yeah... it's painful to pay for the kit, but you'll be glad you did later on.

Additionally, most Hondas can be adjusted in the rear for FREE!
Shim the upper arm in the rear suspension, and your done.
Buy longer bolts (hardened, grade 8 or better), install about 2 to 3 washers between the arm mounting points and the wall, tighten... drop it off the jack and check the clearance of the tire sidewall to the outter part of the fenderwell.
This will buy you back about 2 degrees....

Good luck, and holla if you have a question, maybe I can help.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: camber kits, are they worth it (dimotorsports)

i got one. It is worth the money in my opinion. Thats only cause i dont want to have to buy tires every 6 months. Or rotate them every 2 months.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:16 PM

Since this has been covered soooo many times, this time I thought I would add my experience.

I lowered my del sol (all the way down the coil in the front and one finger gap in the rear) last year. I am running 205/40/16s and I went through (and I mean through the tire, as in holes, as in after driving on the steel in the tires, etc.) two 205/40 then 4 stock ones in about 4 months of regular street driving. All that was with the front tires only. The back ones never wore abnormally.

So then this spring to get my car going again I bought 205/40/16s for the front but got it aligned. I have driven harder and there is 0 wear on the tires. It is still slammed also.

So therefore, camber wont eat your tires. A toe problem will eat your tires. If you don't believe me then find out for yourself. I say get an alignment first and see if its good.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:20 PM

Default Re: (SolObsession)

call your local alignment guy and ask him....
Old 03-30-2004, 06:26 PM

Default Re: (dimotorsports)

Okay okay...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SolObsession &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
So therefore, camber wont eat your tires. A toe problem will eat your tires. If you don't believe me then find out for yourself. I say get an alignment first and see if its good.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Read this....

http://www.discounttire.com/dt...t.jsp

Now....
Camber really does affect tire wear...
So does caster (toe)... but we are not discussing that, only camber.
Neg. camber will wear the insides, Pos. camber will wear the outsides.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SolObsession)

Damn bonehead....camber eats your tires like crazy. Not as fast as toe, but fast enough.

Honestly if you lower your car even 1" you'll need a camber kit. Not only will your tires wear out fast, you look like a ******* RETARD with your wheels all canted in at the top. Don't you ever point and laugh at the homies that drive around like that? Yeah, that's what I thought....you don't want to be that guy!
Old 03-30-2004, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: camber kits, are they worth it (SirhcHX)

It`s not about being "worth it", it's about needing it or not.

Best thing to do is go get an alignment, and see what the camber is on your car.

If it's 0° or -1°, then you're good, if you're hard core auto xer/road racer, then I'd say -1 to -2° all around. So plans for the car also apply.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: camber kits, are they worth it (poison)

In that case, yes, you need it, unless you like your camber to be out of whack from the way Honda intended it, which also happens to be the right way.

My suggestion is to do it right or don't do it.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

screw getting a camber kit unless you are stunna slammed. All you need is an alignment to set toe right. I have a 1.75" drop in the front and 1.5" in the rear on h&r sport springs with kyb agx shocks. I got an alignment right away and I noticed no significant tire wear at all on the inside of my tires. Maybe a slight amount, but nothing significant at all. Besides a little bit of negative camber is good for handling. IMO you really only need one if you are super slammed or need it to fine tune your camber at the track.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: camber kits, are they worth it (SOHC_MShue)

Haha...that makes you one of those guys with crooked wheels...lol.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:41 AM

Default Re: camber kits, are they worth it (HatchbackComeback)

Rule of thumb...
you will gain 1 degree of neg. camber for every 1" of drop.

This is not set in stone but works in most cases...
Old 03-31-2004, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: camber kits, are they worth it (HatchbackComeback)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HatchbackComeback &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Haha...that makes you one of those guys with crooked wheels...lol. </TD></TR></TABLE>

nah actually my wheels aren't even cambering that much. I don't mind having a little bit of negative camber as long as my tires aren't being chewed up then it doesn't matter. I like being able to handle well .
Old 03-31-2004, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

omg def. worth it. I always blew it off, but i finally got one and omg i dunno why i drove without it... its not worth the tire wear plus the handling with it is amazing!! i love it .....about to do my rear soon, but notice such a difference from the fronts!
Old 03-31-2004, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: camber kits, are they worth it (DjFreeze)

are you talking about an alignment or camber kit? If your talking about a camber kit then why would your car handle better with one? You realize that negative camber helps your handling don't you. It doesn't sound like you were adding negative camber with it either..
Old 03-31-2004, 05:31 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: (dimotorsports)

&lt;sigh&gt; I can't believe how many people here have no idea what they're talking about.

Thanks goes out to SOHC_MShue for actually trying to spread the truth.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dimotorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">caster (toe)</TD></TR></TABLE>
Caster is not the same thing as toe. They are completely different settings.

To the original poster, with a 2.25" drop, you will not need a camber kit unless you want to use it to dial in <u>more</u> negative camber.

Once your car is lowered, take it to an alignment shop or Honda dealership and have them center the toe setting as close as they possibly can. That will assure that you will have minimal to no uneven tire wear. I would suggest to leave the negative camber because it is good for handling, and contrary to popular belief, it does not make a significant impact on tire life.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DjFreeze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the handling with it is amazing!!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Wow, this should go down as some sort of corollary to the Placebo Effect.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: camber kits, are they worth it (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you talking about an alignment or camber kit? If your talking about a camber kit then why would your car handle better with one? You realize that negative camber helps your handling don't you. It doesn't sound like you were adding negative camber with it either..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I totally agree with you. You will definatly get better handling with some negative camber. And it really doesn't eat your tires up that bad...it's the toe that kills you. Imagine your front tires trying to drive slightly toward each other. It will kill your gas mileage and 1/4 mile times also. Who can talk about the physics?
Old 03-31-2004, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thank god there's a few on here that actually know what they're talking about.
or every Honda owner would worry about eating tires just by thinking of lowering the car.

FYI, my civic is lowered 2 1/4" for at least 2 years now and i have NO abnormal tire wear.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DjFreeze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">plus the handling with it is amazing!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

don't know where that came from, but my car feels like *** after the camber kit. I'm about to remove it too.

if you've noticed cars at the track (circuit/road racing), they have a good amount of camber all around... even for drag racing a slight amount of neg. camber is beneficial.

to the question at hand... i think a 4" drop would require a camber kit for everyday driving. i dont know how much you can correct it before the tire runs into the fender/wheel well, but good luck.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">&lt;sigh&gt; I can't believe how many people here have no idea what they're talking about.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My setup consists of settled Neuspeed Race springs, which is more like a 2.75-3" drop now instead of the advertised 2.25-2.5" drop. No camber kit, no uneven tire wear, and no my car doesn't look like some retarded, cut-spring slammed hooptie with the tires buried under the fenders. This setup has been on for the past 3-4 years and abnormal tire wear has never been an issue. Like the others have already mentioned, get an alignment and have your toe set as close as possible to factory specs.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:02 AM

if your going to get a camber kit, you mightiss well get the skunk 2 front camber, thats what i have on my 99 si on the front and in the rear i have an ingalls kit, everything has worked out fine for me since iv had them on
Old 03-31-2004, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: camber kits, are they worth it (SIowner)

yes i know SOME neg. camber is ok but when your 4 degrees of you relize your going through tires left and right. when i got my camber kit, i also did an alignment and perfected the toe in and toe out. with those things done my handling is ALOT better then before..
Old 03-31-2004, 09:43 AM

Whats a good camber kit? I was thinking of skunk 2, price wise.

Quick Reply: camber kits, are they worth it