Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

camber kit bolts !!! need help !! major issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camber kit bolts !!! need help !! major issue

One of two bolts on my camber kit is loose but won't come out or get tight. How can I get it out and replace it?
right now im driving the car around with my rear driver side wheel wobble in and out..is not safe that why i need help assap

Old 04-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: camber kit bolts !!! need help !! major issue

Try using a prybar screw driver and pry the bracket outwards while your turning the bolt to loosen it.

You may also have to get to the back side of it through your trunk to hold the nut that has most likrly broken loose.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Burnt Toast
Try using a prybar screw driver and pry the bracket outwards while your turning the bolt to loosen it.

You may also have to get to the back side of it through your trunk to hold the nut that has most likrly broken loose.

lol i dont have the trunk ...i have a hatch..and i try to feel the other side if is have like a washer or like anything..but the other side doesnt have it..is like the frame made with the washer or something
Old 04-03-2009, 06:19 PM
New User

most ppl won't like what i am going to say but if want it out fast get a drill bit drill the nut out but be carefull where u drill that's it
Old 04-03-2009, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by output20111
most ppl won't like what i am going to say but if want it out fast get a drill bit drill the nut out but be carefull where u drill that's it
how do u drill it when it hexagon ....alot of people say is cross threaded or stripped...
Old 04-03-2009, 06:22 PM
New User

yeah know but there are kit out there to help you drill
Old 04-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there isnt a so called nut on the end. it is more of a welded square shaped nut. it is welded (or was...) to the unibody. im not positive that you will be able to see it by taken off your interior panels...but i would highly take off those panels just to be sure. if you can see the backside of the "nut", you might be able to have a friend hold that nut with a vice grips of somesort as you try turning the bolt from the wheel well.

do try to put a scredriver behind the head of the bolt and sometimes you might get lucky with the prying motion while spinning.

your other options are either

heat..bad idea since the lining in there is and might be a little bit flammable.

drilling...pain in the waahoo and that is a big bolt in the drilling world so it might be an hour or two. start off smallest you can for easiest.

what i think is really going on is not a striped or crossthreaded bolt.. that backside welded nut is not welded to the unibody anymore. it is spinning on the backside because the bolt is correded.

i would do the first method i mentioned.. take off interior panels and find that "nut" on the inside of your car. if you cant see it i would cut into your interior to be able to see the nut spinning. a little inch whole (which would be covered up by your interior) is not going to do any harm to your structure of your car.

its somewhat safeto drive but i wouldnt take it on the highway. dont be scared to "limp" the car to your friends house where power tools are at or somethign like that. its not like thebolt is going to fall out. sure it may be noisy but your wheel is not going to fall off. the car will handle funny sometimes maybe even sharp sudden pulls and yoru tires in the rear will wear fast!!. put on some cheap wheels if you have to drive it
Old 04-03-2009, 11:29 PM

man im thinking to weld it back into the frame
Old 04-03-2009, 11:36 PM

well...how do i cut the interior ..cause
1.i dont have intertor..is stripped to the bare metal on the back..lol
2.you mean cut the bare metal down to see ..with what..scissor ?
Old 04-04-2009, 12:26 AM

buump
Old 04-04-2009, 12:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not to poke fun...but if you have access to a welder then you must have something to cut honda metal. the metal on these cars are pretty thin so i dont even know if welding is really an option.

an electric saw or w "wizzer" grinding wheel might be your best bet. you could probaly even take a screwdriver and hammer it into the area then take a pliers or sidecutters and "peel" themetal back. this way will look like garbage if you plan on having no plastic interior. electric sawza (sp?) would be a cleaner cut.

i personally would cut a small flap like in the rear interior. i would then either cut the nut or try to break the nut and bolt as close to the base as possible. i would then install a new bolt with a lock washer with the bolt part being on the inside closest to interior and the actually nut on the outside portion of the car. thsi way if you ever have to take this apart again you could be careful enough and just remove the nut leaving the bolt hanging there. if you put the bolt in like how it is right now and try to remove the new bolt you risk having the nut on the inside of the car fall.

if you have access to that welder you could always torch out the bolt but the nut on the inside of the car might fall and rattle around eching in your gutless interior. might be the easiest option though. then you could cut a smaller flap on the very bottom of the inside and get a magnet to pick up the torched nut.

i hope this make sense as sometimes i go into to much detail which confuses people.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:09 AM

i cut it...and take bolt out..put new one in...still did the same way..cut the interior with welder...u are right the nut on the other side is used to be welded on but not anymore so i welded back on...and tighten the bolt..is good now...