Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Camber kit or allignment??? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/camber-kit-allignment-3271305/)

Matthew Dorey 02-24-2016 09:43 PM

Camber kit or allignment???

Just wondering if i can get some input from other EK owners as to wether i should just get an allignment when i lower my car, or is it a better idea to get a front and/or rear camber kit? Not planning on slamming my car, but decently low, maybe a 2 - 2.5 drop. Ive been reading that i might only need a rear camber kit if anything? Or would it be just better to go all out and adjust the negative camber?

White_EG1 02-25-2016 02:03 AM

Re: Camber kit or allignment???

Originally Posted by Matthew Dorey (Post 50785456)
Just wondering if i can get some input from other EK owners as to wether i should just get an allignment when i lower my car, or is it a better idea to get a front and/or rear camber kit? Not planning on slamming my car, but decently low, maybe a 2 - 2.5 drop. Ive been reading that i might only need a rear camber kit if anything? Or would it be just better to go all out and adjust the negative camber?

Get a alignment these are a must after lowering the car. Toe will eat the tires, -2.5 all around is just fine... A little camber is always better than none.

Matthew Dorey 02-25-2016 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by White_EG1 (Post 50785575)
Get a alignment these are a must after lowering the car. Toe will eat the tires, -2.5 all around is just fine... A little camber is always better than none.

Sweet, thanks for the quick reply. I was sort of hoping to get just a skunk2 front camber kit becuase my upper control arms need to be replaced and the ones i want come with polyutherene bushings.

Would it be a major blow to my car if i just had a front camber kit on + allignment?

NotARaCist 02-25-2016 03:54 PM

Junk2 :ugh:

White_EG1 02-25-2016 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Dorey (Post 50786755)

Would it be a major blow to my car if i just had a front camber kit on + allignment?

No, that would be totally fine. But look into either a better camber kit, or just get new oem ones. Hint: OEM will outlast most kits.

Say if you want to go lower than the 2.5 drop, you know you will. The junk2 will really show their quality.... They can't handle 3" drops and lower like OEM can. The bushings suck too.

Matthew Dorey 02-25-2016 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by White_EG1 (Post 50786813)
No, that would be totally fine. But look into either a better camber kit, or just get new oem ones. Hint: OEM will outlast most kits.

Say if you want to go lower than the 2.5 drop, you know you will. The junk2 will really show their quality.... They can't handle 3" drops and lower like OEM can. The bushings suck too.

Thank you all for your wise words of wisdom! you just saved me a world of headaches =) okay im starting to look into just oem replacments. If i decide to go the camber kit path in may, can you recommend a good one? (My pockets are pretty deep, not bottomless though) ive heard some alright things about the megan racing ones.. btw my car is a 2000 honda civic siR.

NotARaCist 02-25-2016 06:45 PM

rofl Megan is just another shit company. OEM. Hardrace. Buddy Club. These are companies worth buying.

Matthew Dorey 02-25-2016 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by NotARaCist (Post 50787018)
rofl Megan is just another shit company. OEM. Hardrace. Buddy Club. These are companies worth buying.

Wow, i must be reading some old forums lol. I think ill go with some buddy clubs if anything. Thanks guys!

NotARaCist 02-25-2016 07:56 PM

No, you were reading misinformed forums. "Megan Racing" has never been a producer of good hardware. They are barely half a step above your average eBay trash.

Matthew Dorey 02-25-2016 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by NotARaCist (Post 50787094)
No, you were reading misinformed forums. "Megan Racing" has never been a producer of good hardware. They are barely half a step above your average eBay trash.

Noted for future purchases! Thanks dude

Remix22 02-25-2016 11:30 PM

I went with blackworks racing's front and rear camber kit when I upgraded my suspension, they are reasonably priced and of sound quality so far. Might be something to look into. :thumbup:

94EG8 02-26-2016 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by NotARaCist (Post 50786795)
Junk2 :ugh:

The Pro Series Front camber kits aren't bad, but you end up replacing ball joints about once a year.

eghatch9295 02-26-2016 01:36 AM

for fucks sake. bwr is another ebay born shit parts company. megan racing 12 years ago was exclusively ebay. (notice how megan sounds like mugen?) hardrace, oem, or go home.

tony_2018 02-26-2016 03:19 AM

the dude said he's going with buddy club

NotARaCist 02-26-2016 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Remix22 (Post 50787242)
I went with blackworks racing's front and rear camber kit when I upgraded my suspension, they are reasonably priced and of sound quality so far. Might be something to look into. :thumbup:

Still a shit company.

Originally Posted by 94EG8 (Post 50787280)
The Pro Series Front camber kits aren't bad, but you end up replacing ball joints about once a year.

Is that supposed to improve people's opinion of them? :P Just saying, you can roll on OEM ball joints for 10 years. Also, they aren't called Junk2 only because of shit products. I'm sure you remember the "bounty" bullshit they pulled. They aren't a company worth supporting in any way, shape, or form.

tony_2018 02-26-2016 12:09 PM

Just don't lower your car if you're not prepared for the side affects.

94EG8 02-26-2016 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by NotARaCist (Post 50788418)
Is that supposed to improve people's opinion of them? :P Just saying, you can roll on OEM ball joints for 10 years.

Some Skunk2 stuff is alright, a lot of it is junk, but not all. Pick out the good where you can. Sure you can, but OEM ball joints aren't adjustable. I'm just calling it as I see it.

SPC used to make a really nice camber kit, but I think it's been discontinued.

Originally Posted by NotARaCist (Post 50788418)
Also, they aren't called Junk2 only because of shit products. I'm sure you remember the "bounty" bullshit they pulled. They aren't a company worth supporting in any way, shape, or form.

Of course I remember. But I'm not getting into Skunk2's company politics here, I'm simply offering an opinion on a particular product of theirs.

NotARaCist 02-26-2016 02:08 PM

Understandable. I'm just not going to recommend products from a company that thinks actions like that are acceptable, the same way I wouldn't encourage my sister dating a rapist, or my job hiring a convicted violent felon. You don't particularly need adjustable ball joints, anyway - it's toe that shreds tires, not camber.

White_EG1 02-26-2016 08:05 PM

Junk2 makes a good shift knob... But that's honestly about it, the quality on most products has already been proven, it's crap and their are many better brands to buy from.

1 yr is depending on your road condition... Hit multiple potholes, plenty of bottoming out and you'll be replacing the ball joints 6 months or under... Only spoke it because I seen it.

Haha don't say skunk2 6 times in the mirror.

EGeezy 03-01-2016 05:13 PM

^ I beg the differ, i haven't had a ton of skunk2 shit but their skunk2 pro series TB and their skunk2 composite fuel rail and front strut bar, and mega power headers and cat back exhaust, i can vouch for... Buddy club extended ball joints, also good!

NotARaCist 03-01-2016 06:13 PM

The throttle body that has had a rash of issues recently, and parts that any yahoo with a shop in Taiwan could reproduce. You aren't really helping their case...

EGeezy 03-03-2016 02:15 PM

K, im just going off from what i know, and i buy my stuff at JHPUSA and or PasswordJDM, also I have bought stuff from EBAY!

98civdx 03-03-2016 06:56 PM

I run right around -2.5 on my 98. Tire wear is perfect.

Now, I did do the washer the trick in the rear. Prior to that it was almost -3.5, which was too much for my liking, and I was beginning to see inner wear.

Personally I would either do the washer trick, or get a rear camber kit and leave the front alone. However there's nothing wrong with camber kits. But what ever you do, don't let the damn alignment guy 0 the car out!!!! A little negative camber is a good thing! Some of them are idiots, and will tell you otherwise, ignore them.

B serious 03-04-2016 04:14 PM

You can use shims in the rear to adjust camber.

But a camber kit is an easier way.

You probably won't see much excess tire wear...but a 2.5" drop is pretty GD agressive. Hope you have a suspension that can handle that?

At that height, your only option for a good FRONT camber kit is probably skunk2 pro plus. It is definitely a decent kit. And the low profile design is probably the least likely to make holes in your strut tower.

The pro plus rear kit is decent too. Use anti sieze on the threads. Steel studs and aluminum sleeves. :ugh:

I used mine on different cars for 2 or 3 years. Granted, I didn't drive either much. But those kits saw a ton of track use and some road use.

They're just upper ball joints. Not really a high stress part, all things considered.