Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Camber kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber kit

what camber kit is the best or close it it. i am looking at skunk2 but they are so expencive but i almost have all skunk2 parts on my car so i figure might as well skunk it out but is there other camber kit for the F&R that are good but not 300 for the F&R. o 95eg hatch
Old 07-31-2007, 10:41 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Camber kit (lukerc45)

go skunk2
Old 07-31-2007, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Camber kit (5_Lug_B)

how tough is it to install a camber kit in the rear?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

skunk 2 easy to install easy to adjust and good ball joints. I have used skunk 2 kits on both of my hondas.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Camber kit (95civicdx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95civicdx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how tough is it to install a camber kit in the rear?</TD></TR></TABLE>

four bolts I think it was and about 40 min then adjusting time
Old 07-31-2007, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5_Lug_B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go skunk2 </TD></TR></TABLE>

Do washers to the rear to the best of your ability then take it somewhere. They can tell you how far its off and you can add or take washers away as needed.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Camber kit (Doostur)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Doostur &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Do washers to the rear to the best of your ability then take it somewhere. They can tell you how far its off and you can add or take washers away as needed.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I second that, its not worth buying a kit.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Camber kit (Doostur)

what really is the point of a camber kit?
Old 08-01-2007, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Camber kit (JDMTURTLE)

Camber is the tilt of the tire as viewed from the front of the car. If the top of the tires lean toward the center of the car then you have negative camber. If the top of the tire tilts out away from the center of the car then you have positive camber.

Adjusting camber can have a dramatic effect on the cornering of your car. Most oval track racers run negative camber on the right side of the car and positive camber on the left. Optimum camber settings will result in more speed and ideal tire wear.

Camber is measured with a caster camber gauge and is usually easily adjusted with shims or adjustable upper a -arms. Always check the toe when making camber or caster adjustments.

The amount of static camber that you should run is a result of testing, pyrometer measurements, front suspension geometry and discussions with your car builder. Remember that poor camber settings will cause excessive tire wear. Camber settings set to extremes can reduce the braking ability of the car
Old 08-01-2007, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Camber kit (JDMTURTLE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMTURTLE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what really is the point of a camber kit?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Have you ever been behind someone who just lowered there car and called it a day? Their car looks like its setup for the Daytona 500. Most of the time the top of the tire is tucking in the fender well while the bottom of the tire is pushing outward. So that means the inner part of the tire is what is wearing, which means you will be going through tires alot quicker than most. Not to mention its not safe. You want to have as much of the tire surface touching the ground for the best stability and wear.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sk2 FTW i have the front and rear works great evertime
Old 08-01-2007, 12:12 PM

Default Re: (94jdmeg6civic)

thank you guys for the full explaination of camber.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so skunk2 is the best
Old 08-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lukerc45)

are the front and the rear the same? and could someone please explain the washer thing to me
Old 08-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95civicdx)

okay, i just answered my own question searching on ebay, but still don't understand the washer option that was mentioned above
Old 08-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just look up how it works on google. you can find it not that hard
Old 08-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lukerc45)

do the washers make the wheels stick out farther?
Old 08-01-2007, 05:12 PM

skunk 2 up front, washers in the back y0.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (R Benefits)

This is just a guess, but the washers would go behind these bolts? and I am sure any washer would work correct?
Old 08-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wheels are off, need help
Old 08-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://home.earthlink.net/~civ....html

Old 08-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Camber kit (blake_mp)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blake_mp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Camber is the tilt of the tire as viewed from the front of the car. If the top of the tires lean toward the center of the car then you have negative camber. If the top of the tire tilts out away from the center of the car then you have positive camber.

Adjusting camber can have a dramatic effect on the cornering of your car. Most oval track racers run negative camber on the right side of the car and positive camber on the left. Optimum camber settings will result in more speed and ideal tire wear.

Camber is measured with a caster camber gauge and is usually easily adjusted with shims or adjustable upper a -arms. Always check the toe when making camber or caster adjustments.

The amount of static camber that you should run is a result of testing, pyrometer measurements, front suspension geometry and discussions with your car builder. Remember that poor camber settings will cause excessive tire wear. Camber settings set to extremes can reduce the braking ability of the car
</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol .....i know what book you got that from.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Doostur &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Have you ever been behind someone who just lowered there car and called it a day? Their car looks like its setup for the Daytona 500. Most of the time the top of the tire is tucking in the fender well while the bottom of the tire is pushing outward. So that means the inner part of the tire is what is wearing, which means you will be going through tires alot quicker than most. Not to mention its not safe. You want to have as much of the tire surface touching the ground for the best stability and wear.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's some misconceptions here.

Camber does not do the majority of tire wearing. It's actually toe. Since toe is also thrown off when you lower a car or change any other setting, this is what wears tires. Toe will have a more dramatic affect on tire wear than ANY other angle. Since the camber will make the tire ride on a smaller edge, the toe REALLY REALLY REALLY wears that edge. "camber wear" is actually "toe wear that is facilitated by camber".

If you have negative camber with 0 toe, you will not only wear your tires MORE evenly if you're cornering hard and actually using your new suspension, but even if you just drive in a straight line, you will notice a minimum of wear. Unless you're doing burn outs. I'm not saying camber doesn't wear tires...but it's really a miniscule amount of wear.

Transversely, if you have 0 camber with even a 1/4 inch of toe in/out, you will wear your tires like CRAZY. Usually, using more than 1/8'' of toe is real bad for tire wear. Toe can also be used as a tuning tool. Stock S2000s use .25'' of toe in in the rear of the car to improve cornering stability....that's irrelevant.

Camber is actually used as a tool to IMPROVE cornering stability and tire wear. Along with tire temps across the tread face. Zeroing your camber can cause instability around corners.

I dont understand why you're saying negative camber caused by lowering a car is not safe. Please explain...

STOCK suspension settings for a DC2 GSR allow for -2 degrees of camber in the rear. Know why? because when toe is zero, it's real hard to wear tires due to other angles.

I had HUGE negative camber in my EK. Toe was set at 0 (factory specs since it was a daily driver). I always wore the tires almost COMPLETELY evenly. There was maybe a 1/32'' difference of tread depth on the inside to outside edges.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Camber kit (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont understand why you're saying negative camber caused by lowering a car is not safe. Please explain...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Amen, A little negative camber makes the car safer and have better traction and more feedback in cornering.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Camber kit (ek forever guy)

so how do you adjust toe?
Old 08-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Camber kit (95civicdx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95civicdx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so how do you adjust toe?</TD></TR></TABLE>

tie rods up front.

Toe link in the rear.

needs to be done on an alignment rack.

Quick Reply: Camber kit