Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Camber/Caster Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber/Caster Alignment

I recently got my 99 Civic Si lowered. After I got it lowered I got the toe in/out aligned but they said they could not adjust the camber/caster alignment unless I bought a camber/caster alignment kit. I asked a couple of my friends and I got mixed answers from them. Some said that I wouldnt need to worry about it and others said that it will be a problem. I dont want to wear out my tires faster than needed so if anyone knows some information about this let me know and if I should get them aligned does anyone know where I can buy a camber kit.

Thanks for the help
Old 05-14-2007, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Camber/Caster Alignment (gt3civic)

camber isnt much of a problem, you WILL wear out your tires faster but its not that bad really, get a camber kit and get it like -1* and your good, i have mine spot on, just because i want to get those few extra miles out of my tires.

caster isnt a problem at all, it has nothing to do with tire wear it has to do with where the wheel is sitting relative to the front and teh rear of the fender arch, when you lower a honda, the suspension geometry is such that the front wheels will be further forward in the fenderwell (or was it backwards, reguardless) what this will do is affect the way the car reacts in corners minimally, how the steering wheel returns to center mediumly and big time how the car will act in hard braking, but nothing you should be concerned about too much, there isnt much you can do.

toe is the REAL tire killer, this of having the wheels exactly straight, parallel to the car's movement direction, now think of the wheels NOT parralel, its like they never turn smoothely because the car wants to go forward but the want to turn, its the "scrubbing" effect (like constant understeer or oversteer while going straight) that wears out the tires, almost like your dooing a permanent burnout

to sum up, get a camber kit to extend your tire's life althogh it wont be THAT bad without it, camber also helps in corners but in big #'s is detrimental to overall grip since less of teh tire is contacting the ground
Old 05-14-2007, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Camber/Caster Alignment (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

thanks for the info