Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Camber bolt is bothering the hell out of me! What should I do? Pic showing problem inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber bolt is bothering the hell out of me! What should I do? Pic showing problem inside

I'm currently rebuilding my hatch and have broke the entire front end down. I will be painting the crossmember / using new hardware with the reinstall and also applying 3m undercoating to the fender wells/under carriage. I can't just leave the back as is. Well, I ran into a problem when I installed my suspension last year. The camber bolt threads got cross threaded and the bolt would only go in as far as the pic shows:

What are my options at this point?
--Should I just leave the arm on there and remove everything else to clean then undercoat (tape off the camber arm)?
--Take my chances trying to remove the bolt, hope the head does not snap, clean the threads up?
--Have a profession who knows what the hell they are doing fix this? I really don't have any experience with fixing $hit like this.

Thanks for any feedback. I want it fixed 1) because I am **** as $hit when it comes to this car 2) Don't want anything bad to happen because of this.

Thanks for any input

PS <> I had trouble getting the OEM bolt in to the left hole so I purchased the aftermarket bolt which went right in. The aftermarket bolt would not thread on the right, so I put the OEM in back as best as I could
Old 04-14-2007, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To fix this right you need to take off that piece held on by the two bolts and run a tap of the correct thread size through the cross-threaded hole. If you don't want to do that simply put some washers under the bolt so that even though it doesn't tigheten down all the way, it still holds the piece on.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Danronian)

have u tried to take the bolt out yet? you shouldnt have too many problems unless when it was put in u realy cranked on it. just let it sit in wd 40 to help with the rust then take it out and re thread it like the other guy said
Old 04-15-2007, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, the bolt is cranked down pretty hard. Next time I work on the car I am going to get the torque wrench out and get an estimate on how torqued down the bolt is. I remember cranking it down with the impact gun and I stopped because I was afraid the head was going to snap off.

Let's say the threads are cross threaded pretty bad. Is there a good possibility the die could make things worst and ruin the entire hole. What would I have to do then? I've never used a tap/die neither. I almost feel like this is something over my head because I have no experience with this.

Thanks guys for the input!!

Old 04-15-2007, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hybrid93Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, the bolt is cranked down pretty hard. Next time I work on the car I am going to get the torque wrench out and get an estimate on how torqued down the bolt is. I remember cranking it down with the impact gun and I stopped because I was afraid the head was going to snap off.

Let's say the threads are cross threaded pretty bad. Is there a good possibility the die could make things worst and ruin the entire hole. What would I have to do then? I've never used a tap/die neither. I almost feel like this is something over my head because I have no experience with this.

Thanks guys for the input!!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

The worst thing that could happen with the tap/die is that you would have to step up to a bigger sized bolt. In that case all that would require is a trip to the hardware store to pick up a new bolt, no biggie.

But like I said, the easy and not to ghetto route to fix this would be to put some washers between the bolt and the bracket it holds. Even if you don't like that method, I would install some washers if you plan to drive the car in this state at all. I wouldnt put much trust just in one bolt.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Danronian)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Danronian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The worst thing that could happen with the tap/die is that you would have to step up to a bigger sized bolt. In that case all that would require is a trip to the hardware store to pick up a new bolt, no biggie.

But like I said, the easy and not to ghetto route to fix this would be to put some washers between the bolt and the bracket it holds. Even if you don't like that method, I would install some washers if you plan to drive the car in this state at all. I wouldnt put much trust just in one bolt.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i would go ahead and try and tap the hole out first...and move to a bigger bolt if necessary. but i dont think i would just throw washers under it. The reason is, that bolt doesnt look to be threaded in that far at all, i would be worried about it coming out with that few a threads in it.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92ehatch)

u would be suprised how much weight 3 threads on a bolt will hold thats not a big deal that its not down all the way its still strong enough. tapping a hole isnt over anyones head. after u get the bolt out if u dont no the size and thread count go to the hardware store and tell them what u need and show them the bolt. they will no or should no just by looking at it. when u get the die, screw it in untill it gets just a little hard to spin then back it out all the way. screw it in again but this time dont back it out until it is more difficult to tighten, but u shouldnt have to put much force into it. As long as u dont try to thread the entire hole at once youl be fine. if u work on cars which u must if rebuilding one then u will be able to tell when u r putting too much presure on it
Old 04-25-2007, 02:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Removed the bolt with no problem:

Going to attempt to clean the threads this weekend. Pics / outcome will be posted
Old 04-26-2007, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Hybrid93Hatch)

If the bolt is too long, it will bottom out with whatever is behind that hole. I'd use a few washers.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (D50boy)

washer are ghetto as way of getting it done. saw, cut, or sand it down if its too long, just dont mess up the threads on the bolt, and if u do and cant fix it, buy another. The way i like is sawing it. put it in a vice grip that is stable and go to town
Old 04-26-2007, 08:48 AM

Just an FYI: I have had this same problem with this same bolt, actually lots of people on HT have there was a 3 page thread on it some where cant find it now...but just for everyones knowledge there is a welded nut on the backside of that hole.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B16b-EJ8)

is that all the bolt has to thread into?
if so IMO dont cut that too short, if its even a problem
Old 04-26-2007, 09:23 AM

Default Re: (anavrin351)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by anavrin351 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is that all the bolt has to thread into?
if so IMO dont cut that too short, if its even a problem</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah pretty much and a thin piece of metal the body is made of.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B16b-EJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16b-EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah pretty much and a thin piece of metal the body is made of.</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh well. as long as he got a bolt thats the same length, or can make the bolt the same length, as the old one he'll be good