Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Camber, alignment, and...JERKING

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber, alignment, and...JERKING

Well, back in aug. i had an accident w/ a curb cuz of a deer. My 16in Drivers side rim was smashed along with Control arm, spindle, ball joint, frame bent, blah blah blah.
Anyway, i fixed the car and stuck the stock wheels in the front and kept the rims on the back.
NOW>I remember when i first got the car i immediatly threw the rims on it from my old car...when shifting at high rpm the wheel jerks....hence my question:

Now i just bought a new rim and tire and finnally have a full set, put them on yesterday and the camber is fucked up in the front from the coilovers...which WAS NOT EFFECTED WHEN I FIRST LOWERED IT 'BEFORE' THE ACCIDENT..
When driving in mid-range rpm the car pulls to the right?! when i let off the gas...IT PULLS TO THE LEFT...when i coast, the alignment is off and u need to keep the wheel tilted a slight left to remain straight.... WTF? WHat is it and what should i do first?
FAQs to keep in mind:
-the DS wheel has new tread, the passenger side wheel has about 60%
-i gave the coilovers on the DS a few turns to lower it to make up for the excessive tread on the new tire it now holds and to even out the car.
-NO, the camber is not effected in the back
-not sure exactly how much its droped but theres about 1-1 1/2in. from the tire to the fender all around the car
-not sure of current air pressure
-tires are as listed in signature
-alignment and camber was fine when first lowered (w/rims)
-alignment and camber fine after repairs from accident (w/stocks wheels in front, Rims in back)
-alignment and camber wrong after installing front rims back on (camber only bad in the front
-last but not least, it has a B18C5, all forged internals, hydro tranny with custom gear ratios and LSD, a T5 at 20psi, and a 100 shot of Nitrous, 9.8sec @171mph....J/K
Old 12-05-2004, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Camber, alignment, and...JERKING (HatchEh2)

Try moving the two rims from the rear to the front for an even treadwear on both sides and make sure the coil overs are each at the same height. When you're done all this, check the tire pressures on all 4 tires. That's what you can try that won't cost anything. If this doesn't work, get an alignment. Just my $.02...
Old 12-05-2004, 08:19 PM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like an alignment issue. Even thought it was fine when you got it all repaired, if they did the alignment with the stock tires on, that could change a lot when you put rims on. My car does the EXACT same thing, and i havent gotten an alignment yet.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Camber, alignment, and...JERKING (JDM_Ej)

they never did an alignment when it was repaired, once i put a new control arm, tie rod, and spindle, it was all good...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CycloneBlue_1.6EL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try moving the two rims from the rear to the front for an even treadwear on both sides and make sure the coil overs are each at the same height. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, thats exactly what i was thinking of doing to save money really quick and see what it does
Old 12-05-2004, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Need some help from someone who has had this experience or one similar as to the one 'hither'... BUMP for advice
Old 12-05-2004, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for low income guy trying to make it buy... lil help here
Old 12-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

...bump...
Old 12-06-2004, 12:36 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HatchEh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they never did an alignment when it was repaired</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, if you took it to a shop to have it repaired and they replaced a tie rod of all things, they DID do a front end alignment. If it wasn't done, you should go back to that shop and get in their faces. Your toe must be checked and reset after a tie rod or tie rod end is changed.

Anyways, try doing what I suggested before to see if that helps. It's very important that the coil overs are adjusted to the same height on each side. I can't stress that enough. Tire pressures are also an important thing to check. Don't pay someone to do all of these things for you. Good luck, let us know
Old 12-06-2004, 03:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Camber, alignment, and...JERKING (CycloneBlue_1.6EL)

ill be doin this today, ill keep u posted thanks
bump