Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cam Shaft Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Shaft Upgrade?

Before I putting a turbo kit into my 97 EX coupe, I plan on upgrading the cam shaft. Does anyone have a suggestion? I'm considering a Crower stage 2 cam.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cam Shaft Upgrade?

Turbos and aggresive N/A cams = bad (increased overlap means you will just be blowing boost in and out of the cylinders) Possibly look into Skunk2 turbo cams...
Old 05-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Skunk2 Cams are available in 3 Stages from Mild to Wild. Skunk2 Stage 1 Cams can be installed into a stock engine and will bump up 12 horsepower. Skunk2 Stage 2 Cams are designed to be a "Hot" Street Cam. Most engines will gain 20-25 Horsepower with this set installed. The Skunk2 Stage 2 Cams respond best with Large Amounts of Air and Fuel. If you run naturally aspirated, It is a good Idea to Raise the Compression of the Engine, Use the Skunk2 Intake Manifold, STR Throttle Body and STR Fuel Rail. Skunk2 Stage 3 Cams are designed for Competition Use, but can be used on Highly Modified Street Cars.

thanks for the response
Old 05-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bisimoto turbo regrind
Old 05-06-2009, 02:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LEVEL 1.2, Y8 TURBO BILLET, VTEC Level 1.2: street/strip Turbo duty, good idle quality. This is the info from the Bisimoto website...good call.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Post Re: Cam Shaft Upgrade?

Originally Posted by Tyme2Breathe
Skunk2 Cams are available in 3 Stages from Mild to Wild. Skunk2 Stage 1 Cams can be installed into a stock engine and will bump up 12 horsepower. Skunk2 Stage 2 Cams are designed to be a "Hot" Street Cam. Most engines will gain 20-25 Horsepower with this set installed. The Skunk2 Stage 2 Cams respond best with Large Amounts of Air and Fuel. If you run naturally aspirated, It is a good Idea to Raise the Compression of the Engine, Use the Skunk2 Intake Manifold, STR Throttle Body and STR Fuel Rail. Skunk2 Stage 3 Cams are designed for Competition Use, but can be used on Highly Modified Street Cars.

thanks for the response
about the skunk2 stage 2 cam shaft. i have a b16a2 which i have no clues what so ever the compression is. i have skunk2 stage 2 cam shaft and i also ahve skunk2 manifold hondata manifold gasket mugen head gasket sk2 cam gears sk2 valve retainers and springs, itr TB 68mm im thinkings its bored out. does all these parts here meet 11;1 compression? any idea?
Old 04-26-2010, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by poormanstyperb16
about the skunk2 stage 2 cam shaft. i have a b16a2 which i have no clues what so ever the compression is. i have skunk2 stage 2 cam shaft and i also ahve skunk2 manifold hondata manifold gasket mugen head gasket sk2 cam gears sk2 valve retainers and springs, itr TB 68mm im thinkings its bored out. does all these parts here meet 11;1 compression? any idea?
what pistons ? stock usdm b16a with Pr3 pistons is 10.2 JDM with P30 pistons is 10.4 , add in the mugen headgasket, I believe raises compression .2
Old 04-26-2010, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Personally i'd stick with brian crower cams, i ahve them, and i know many people who do as well, best cams you can buy. And they also make a trubo line of cams in different stages, depending what your trying to accomplish, just like all the other brands. Do your research, you'll find more statisfied people with crower over skunk 2. Also, personally, it wudnt put the money into an EX, sell it and buy an SI, u'll be much happier with the out comes.

Also if your gonna turbo, dont put a high compression lower end in, u'll blow ur motor up right away and **** all ur money away. When you turbo, u want a lower compression set up for your lower end. If your gonna do it, do it right so you dont waiste money. Lets face it, everyone hwo modifies their cars, is going to punch it and beat on it, and most the time blow their **** up cause they dont spend the time and money to do it properly and end spending more i nthe long run. Build it right the first time and you wont regret it.