Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cam Pulley Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cam Pulley Removal

I am in the middle of doing a timing belt job..I have the timing belt off and water pump removed. Everything is set at TDC right now, and I still have to remove the camshaft pulley in order to change out the camshaft seal. My question is this: what would be the best way to hold the pulley in place while I loosen the 14mm bolt that holds it on? I was thinking either a flathead screwdriver against one of the ridges that holds the timing belt, OR putting a screwdriver in between the head / one of the arms of the cam gear (that make it look like a peace sign, if that makes sense?).

Obviously I don't have air tools

Also, is there a trick to driving in the cam seal correctly? I was told to use drywall screws or a corkscrew from a wine bottle opener to pull the old seal out (for cam and crank), but I am getting nervous about driving the new ones in. I don't want the edge to fold over itself and cause a leak! It is correct that I should use moly-based lube on the outside of the seals, to help drive them in easier? Would it be okay to just use a socket that matches the size of the seal (32mm is what I was reading, right?) and tap it in that way? I don't have a deep 32mm, so I'd have to go out and buy that.

I also read somewhere on here about using a 4" x 6" rectangular piece from a soda bottle, wedging that between the inner edge of the seal / the outer edge of the camshaft, and getting it about halfway in, then removing the plastic? Anyone tried that?

Thanks guys. I really don't want to f*** this up and have to tear this entire thing back down again.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cam Pulley Removal

Just the cam seal, not the crank seal, right? I used a socket one time. If you have any issues, you might be able to loosen the cap bolts to make things easier. Make sure to clean and add sealant to the sealing surfaces on the bottom of the cap. I don't add any lubricant or anything to the outside edge of a cam seal. You can put assembly lube on the inner cam sealing surface tho.

For a stubborn pulley bolt, you can use this method with a pulley chain wrench:

There is also a special tool for different makes/models/years that might be similar to this: