Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Calling Tom and all others who know tranny and suspension woes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling Tom and all others who know tranny and suspension woes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the deal...
Swapped in a used b16 LSD tranny last night
took it for a test drive, everything seemed fine at first... i took it up my buddies street and then out onto the road where i broke em loose from a rolling start to see how it felt. Everything felt fine... got to the end of the street and flipped it around, mid turn i dropped the clutch and broke em loose again from a rolling start. Once again everything felt fine, got back up to the top of the street and turned left when i hear this clunking noise while turning... Unfortunately i can say that i have driven a car without having tightenned the lug nuts and this is exactly how it felt/sounded. Turns out the lugs weren't fully tightenned but were also not loose. I tightenned the lugs to spec and thinking that should have been it, i took it out of the drive way and on my way down, through turning, the noise is still there.
Jacked the car up to take a look and everything seems fine, axles are in all the way, no fluid leaking out, all bolts are tight... at full turn there seems to be no problems and while in neutral both tires will spin. So i can't see anything that would be causing the noise. So i end up driving it home and find out that while in neutral the noise does not exist, even in turns. Also i notice that once im in high second and up it also does not make the noise even while on the throttle. So basically i have a clunking noise seemingly coming from the axles but i dont see how it could be the axles because when i put the clutch in the noise goes away... it is only while moving slowly in first and low second gear while turning! And yes both forward and reverse. I have now driven it on the freeway with no problems on on ramps and while downshifting. Once again only while making a turn from a stop or slow roll in first or low second gear...
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????

CLIFFNOTES
Installed used b16 LSD tranny and took it for a test everything seems ok at first, then while making a slow i notice a Clunking noise coming from tranny or axles while accelerating into a turn from a stop or slow roll, either moving forward or in reverse!
Noise goes away while in higher gears and downshifting on and off the throttle.
Suspension and axles seem to be ok from visual inspection.

Sooo... i have gotten down how to drive without getting on the throttle in slower turns, putting in the clutch while pull around turns in parkin lots and pulling into parking spaces, However, i'd really like to find some opinions while im in between decisions on what to do...??

thanx in advance!
-Bryan-
Old 09-08-2003, 11:55 AM
H-T Poker champion

Default Re: Calling Tom and all others who know tranny and suspension woes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (EGStreetH

My car does the same thing.. It only clunks when I am on the gas, and it stops once i get into high rpms. I can only assume it's the axle. I hit the curb going 55 mph and it's done it ever sense.

I dunno.. Maybe I damaged the tranny when i hit the curb.. Either way i've learned to deal with it.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Calling Tom and all others who know tranny and suspension woes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (EGStreetH

CV joints guys. Time for some new axles.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:00 PM

i had the same problem in my si. turned out to be bearings. as time goes on the noise will progress thru each gear. reverse was bad also
Old 09-08-2003, 12:09 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

your first problem is dumping the clutch in mid U-turn....WAY too much stress on the axles/differential.

Start by swapping axles....that will be the easiest/cheapest solution
Old 09-08-2003, 12:35 PM
H-T Poker champion

Yah.. I figure it's the inner CV joint.. I just don't want to shell out 200 bucs for a new stage-1 axle. It's been like that sense before christmas, so I'm used to it. I forget all about it until someone reminds me. I'm sure it will come out some day and reak havok on the bottom of my car, but until that day drag on!
Old 09-08-2003, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatchy-Ownzjo0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yah.. I figure it's the inner CV joint.. I just don't want to shell out 200 bucs for a new stage-1 axle. It's been like that sense before christmas, so I'm used to it. I forget all about it until someone reminds me. I'm sure it will come out some day and reak havok on the bottom of my car, but until that day drag on!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why not just get some Refurb stocks with a Lifetime warranty for 60 bux each!?! When it blows out you just exchange it.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My car was making the loose lug noise and my lugs were tight, but after awhile one of the studs just came right off... Make sure you tighten your lugs in a star pattern, and also check if they're tearing on the stud's tread. I don't know if this is where your problem is but my lug stud came right off one day and just letting you know.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Carlo)

It's more than likely the axles. If they go all the way your car won't be able to drive because it it LSD. Happened to my hatch w/ a JDM ITR tranny. Once you break or mess up one axle it's over. I think it will still drive if it is non LSD but I know my LSD tranny car didn't move.

Plus Tom was the one that told me that it was the axles because I thought I broke my LSD.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:52 PM
H-T Poker champion

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spade &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why not just get some Refurb stocks with a Lifetime warranty for 60 bux each!?! When it blows out you just exchange it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well.. I think I will do that. I just thought it would be bad to have 1 stage-1 axle and 1 crappy axle.. if it's not a prob then i might as well.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am picking up my new axles in an hour or so and will hopefully be swapping them out tonight... if this is a cv joint gone bad than it is much worse than i have ever heard for its case!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your first problem is dumping the clutch in mid U-turn....WAY too much stress on the axles/differential.
Start by swapping axles....that will be the easiest/cheapest solution
</TD></TR></TABLE>

My breaking the tires loose mid turn was nothing above and beyond what a honda can/should handle... im not talking like i was bouncing it off the rev limiter doing donuts, just breaking them loose to feel the pull coming out of a turn.

I have since noticed that i can get them to catch and the noise goes away when i get on it hard through a turn but driving like that through every turn everyday will just be annoying, i dont enjoy chirpping going over the street paint everywhere i go!

I have been told that aggressive aftermarket LSDs can be expected to make some noise like this but i am still only able to assume its oem being that it was never a non LSD tranny and i dont plan on taking it apart to check if its been replaced.

I guess ill just have to see what new axle does for my situation... BTW, anyone heard its better to use Honda MTF than Neo tranny fluid for LSD?????

thanx again guys, keep this thread uppppp!

-Bryan-
Old 09-08-2003, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh yah...
Honda oem lsd: 1 one??? 1.5 way???? 2 way????

-Bryan-
Old 09-08-2003, 04:36 PM

the same thing was wrong with my old '92 (another problem out of 500 other problems) turned out it was my diffrential. so i thought I'd upgrade to a 1.5 way and just fucked the rest of the tranny up. I was mad, i cost me $900 to fix the damn thing. and then, July 15th, the car went to car heaven as it died.
I loved that old one, it went there becuase if so many tranny, engine and suspensoin problems.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If my differential was going bad then why would it only do it during a turn????

-Bryan-
Old 09-09-2003, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow... no more help???

-Bryan-
Old 09-09-2003, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You have got bad CV joints, don't ever break the tires loose mid turn, you are putting 4 times the stress on your cv joints. Get some aftermarket axles, then do all the mid turn burnouts you want.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why pay so much for aftermarket axles and the car isn't built for it. Pay $60 to NAPA, AutoZone, or PepBoys and you'll have remanned axles w/ a lifetime warranty. The axles may have been going bad before all the work so it wasn't even the "boost" in power. Even TOM has the NAPA axles on his B18C5 hatch.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Once again it is not the CV joints, there is no play in the axles at all...
Even so, i did swap them out today with brand new axles. While my slight popping during hard braking went away (whole different problem), the grind/clunking noise still stands. Once again, only during turns at low acceleration/throttle, in both reverse and moving forward...
It suggested that it could be my final drive gear going bad or something of the sort, i was told that the final drive gear and the lsd are right next to eachother and for some reason my problem could lie there...???? Anyone every heard that?!?!?

c'mon... more replies!
-Bryan-
Old 09-09-2003, 07:19 PM

i have exactly the same problem u have i had a mugen lsd and jdm final drive put in and after 800 miles i did a burn out and ever since then i have had the same problems u have. So i went back to king motorsports who did the work and the said to go to a chevy or isuzu dealer and get some limited slip modifier which is about $10 and put that in the tranny. so i did and it is much better it only does it now when i first get in it. after about 5-10 minutes of driving it doesnt do it hardly ever. i also though get a little shake about 15 mph also which i dont know what it is from. Hope some of this helps.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can you elaborate on the limited slip modifier... is this mechanical, maybe a fluid...??? what is it... ill try anything at this point.

Sam at Access Motors would be more than willing to take the tranny back and work something out with me but i dont want to have to go through it any more than he does... i'd like to find a fix and not have to take it off, find another lsd tranny and then take a chance with that one... just a lot of work you know for someone working full time and going to school...

more help would be great... thanx to all who have already supplied some info!!!

-Bryan-

Old 09-09-2003, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

by LSD modifiers i think he is saying these look like a spring and a circular small rod/bar
Old 09-09-2003, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ace1875)

and where might this go???

-Bryan-
Old 09-10-2003, 05:41 AM

Default Re: (EGStreetHtch)

yes it is a fluid it comes in a little bottle pour it into the transmission where you normally fill it. this should help you out.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (timnparts)

c'mon guys id really like to find a solution and not watch this thread sink to its death!!!
My buddy who works at a chevy dealership is looking into the "lsd modifier" so we'll see...

-Bryan-
Old 09-10-2003, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your first problem is dumping the clutch in mid U-turn....WAY too much stress on the axles/differential.

Start by swapping axles....that will be the easiest/cheapest solution</TD></TR></TABLE>

Quick Reply: Calling Tom and all others who know tranny and suspension woes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!