Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Calling out to DIEHARD (92-95) civic Gurus/supporters - JDM Civic Ferio AWD

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling out to DIEHARD (92-95) civic Gurus/supporters - JDM Civic Ferio AWD

Hey guys

My name is lyle.. i have been silently researching and browseing the honda-tech forems for a while now. Im located in australian and gradually parting together my big hp sohc vtec d16z6 for my 94 civic sedan. (down under its called a y1).

I have alwayes thought up untill now that our civics were only FWD. Recently just found out otherwise. That some JDM varients were released in AWD as well as in other countries to combat the snow.

My initial searches have shown little info on this topic (google, honda-tech search). However i know there must be people out there who have looked into this before.

few initial questions

* Anyone ever done it? if so how did it hold up?
* What series engines were these AWD systems released for?
* Anyone know where i can located an AWD system?
* were they released in Cable or Hydro box
* how strong were these systems? were they for performance or only snow traction.
* what would be the option with a LSD
* Whats involved transfering this system into a FWD civic of the same year and model (from a 94 civic AWD sedan to 94 Civic FWDsedan)
* Anyone ever removed the Front drive shafts to leave for the rear only (may sound silly)

Thanks in advance

Regards Lyle
Old 06-15-2008, 11:27 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default FV-QR

From what I have heard, it's a rather weak system. It's an 80/20 (or 70/30) differential split, front biased. They have 1.5L and 1.6L SOHC motors, hydraulic actuated gearbox. No option for an LSD.

As far as mating one to a normal sedan, the floorpan of the vehicle would be COMPLETELY different. The undercarriage has channels for the driveshaft and a well for the rear differential. The rear subframe is also completely removed, because there are axles, not LCA's. You're not going to find the "AWD System" ... because it's not just a system. It's a completely different vehicle.

Basically, the easiest way to do this conversion would be to buy a Ferio RTi.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: FV-QR (Eran)

i was wondering some pretty similar questions. i think that would be a fun car to drive, but they're rare, and im not sure how well they would hold up with a higher hp motor with the differentials.