Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Calling out the best of HT...need advice(LONG)- Drivetrain Related

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 06:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Calling out the best of HT...need advice(LONG)- Drivetrain Related

ok here is the story...94 del sol si, 5spd

i went out to lunch from work yesterday and pulled into my parking spot. i was at a complete stop and didnt realize that i was in 1st gear still...i let off the clutch while in 1st and naturally it stalled out...except i heard a really loud pop/snap sound...right away i know it didnt sound right but didnt think much of it...i went inside and had lunch(taco bell btw $$).

Came back out after lunch and started my car like normal...sat there for a sec and then put it in 1st gear and tried to take off...NOTHING...it just revs up...it goes into every gear nice and smooth, just like normal, but it will not move..the engine just revs up...clutch pedal feels normal...got out looked under the hood, linkage working well,no fluid leaks

you can put it in gear and let off the clutch while its parked and it will not stall out...when in 3rd gear or higher if you let off the clutch you can hear a grinding sound...most notably in 5th...also note that in 5th gear the speedometer will move up to about 20 mph even while not moving...

i put a clutch in about a year ago and it has less than 20k miles on it. it had been working flawlessly for over a year

im thinking that either the clutch broke into pieces or an axle has popped out of place, but i havent had it looked at yet...i find it hard to beleive a clutch would just break w/o showing any signs of wear, and also remeber this was caused from just letting off the clutch while parked in 1st gear at idle...

An axle popping out seems to be the most logical but i wanna hear if anyone has had similar problems or has any input

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

axle popped out!
Old 12-17-2008, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like your disc broke or your shift fork snapped.... id bet on broken shift fork. could also be broken internals in the tranny but thats less likely. either way your pulling the tranny so get started. as for your axle theory... scratch it. no likely. car would still move since you have 2 axles lol...
Old 12-17-2008, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

welll i would check the axles first!

reason why not to scratch it because unless your using a spool in your diff an axle pop out will make your car not go anywhere and you can still put it in gear fine and rev the engine but nothing!

if it was a broke disc the car wouldnt start, if it was a broke shifter fork then you wouldnt be able to shift freely.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:18 AM

thats what im thinking too jdmchop, im bracing for the worst, but hoping its something simple as an axle popped out

one more thing...i was sitting on top of ice/snow when it stalled so could the wheel possibly have spun when i let out the clutch and pulled axle out?
Old 12-17-2008, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anything is possible, once i was just cruising down the highway when vruuuum axle poped out on me.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

same thing happened to my tranny. I would look at it now but i need a 3/8 ratchet. im guessing its your gear selecting mechanism, or whatever its called, or a rod that connects to it. between the shiftlinkage and that.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 90Rexx
sounds like your disc broke or your shift fork snapped.... id bet on broken shift fork. could also be broken internals in the tranny but thats less likely. either way your pulling the tranny so get started. as for your axle theory... scratch it. no likely. car would still move since you have 2 axles lol...
This isn't stated properly, check the axles first because if the axle on the half-shaft popped out then you would still be able move but if the axle on the passenger side pops out (the one that goes directly into the tranny) it wouldn't move at all.

Its plausible but it seems unlikely that you would have damaged the clutch disc by letting it stall from idle.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its a D series no half shaft!
Old 12-17-2008, 08:32 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 90Rexx
Step away from the keyboard.

First of all the symptoms he describe are EXACTLY what a broken axle or inner joint popping out of the diff exhibit. Sure you've got two axles, but the way the differential is designed the side with the least resistance will get all of the engine's power. Even on LSD equipped Honda FF trannies a broken axle = car won't move.

I have personally broken at least 20 axles in my own car, so take it from me when I say a broken axle will not allow the car to move. Depending on the angle of the break it can be 100% quiet or make grinding noises as you let the clutch out in gear.

Secondly a broken shift fork? Really?

If a shift fork is broken it won't allow you to selct what ever gear(s) it's supposed to select for you.

Also for the OP it *could* also be a clutch that literally just came apart owhere the friction surface got picked clean off of the clutch disc. Clutch would feel normal, but just would not hold at all.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check the axle...same thing happen to me....exact same way....
Old 12-17-2008, 09:09 AM

i want to thank everyone for the replies...my car is going to one of my buddies former co-workers who works for a honda dealer and has his own garage and works on the side...so i know it going to someone who wont screw me over and knows what they're talking about...keep the replies coming, and ill let u guys know what the problem is when he has time to look at it
Old 12-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

B18C5-EH2 absolutely 100% hit it square on the head. While i've only personally broken 1 axle (I don't race, what do you expect?) The car will not move, and in my case it would grind when I let the clutch out. I've had axles pop out a couple of times from not being seated properly, again the car will not move. In either case theres no reason to drop the tranny, and theres no way in hell its a broken or bent shift fork. I have seen a clutch disc seperate, (not in a honda, it was in a 1990 toyota pickup, 4x4 buried in a couple of feet of snow) when we took it out all the friction material was literally gone from one side of the disc.

Cliffs notes:
-axle probably poped our CV joint broke.
-less likely but plausible, clutch disc friction material seperated.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:01 AM

bump...any other suggestions/experiences?
Old 12-18-2008, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, as B18c5-EH2 and all has previously stated, it is more than likely your axle, hopefully you can just take the axles out and find the one that is has either popped out or broken and get it fixed easily, but my buddy had put a new stage 1 clutch in his 92 Gsr, and the pressure plate ended up collapsing on it within 6 months.. anythings possible but seems more like an axle.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not trying to thread jack the op but how come when some people park their cars they leave it in first gear? and when you go to start the car with it in first gear it jumps or launches forward? Don't that mess up your car?
Old 12-18-2008, 09:54 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by 94 Hatchback Si
I'm not trying to thread jack the op but how come when some people park their cars they leave it in first gear? and when you go to start the car with it in first gear it jumps or launches forward? Don't that mess up your car?
You park in first or reverse so the car doesn't roll, i trust first gear to hold my car more than I trust the parking brake, on a hill i'll use both. You normally have to depress the clutch to start the car, even if you don't either depress the clutch, or shift into neutral before you start the car.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree with the axle popping out from the inner part. Happened to my old ef quick fix unless the axle joint broke, doubt it though
Old 12-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so you shift to neutral first and then start the car how you normally do it to prevent the car from jerking forward? and i know you put it in gear up hill but some people do it every time they park. like the shop guys that my insurance uses to fix my car. everytime I go get my car from them they have it in 1st gear and it's not even uphill or steep but flat.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Seagull Management

so you shift to neutral first and then start the car how you normally do it to prevent the car from jerking forward? and i know you put it in gear up hill but some people do it every time they park. like the shop guys that my insurance uses to fix my car. everytime I go get my car from them they have it in 1st gear and it's not even uphill or steep but flat.
I don't get what you aren't getting here. I pretty much always leave my car in 1st gear, I almost never use the parking brake, numerous vehicles i've driven didn't even have a working parking brake. Its not a hard concept, get in car, depress clutch pedal, start car and take off as you normally would. I just don't understand what you don't understand.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by marcs1337
bump...any other suggestions/experiences?

ummmm Its been answered. CV Axle
Old 12-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

you can start a car in gear. just dont dump the clutch.
its not going to hurt the car to leave it in gear. some people just pefer to leave it in gear instead of useing e brake.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Calling out the best of HT...need advice(LONG)- Drivetrain Related

UPDATE:got my sol back yesterday...the passenger side axle had popped out...thanks guys!
Old 12-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Calling out the best of HT...need advice(LONG)- Drivetrain Related

Originally Posted by marcs1337
UPDATE:got my sol back yesterday...the passenger side axle had popped out...thanks guys!
Told ya.. =P