Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

calling all b18c1hatch owners.. b16a are invited! all welcome! no pull on VTEC

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default calling all b18c1hatch owners.. b16a are invited! all welcome! no pull on VTEC

i have a usdm gsr motor in my 95 dx hatch.. basic bolt ons like headers, exhaust, intake, skunk2 manifold , p28 with itr program , clutch etc.. when driving my car it feels like i have NO VTEC.. vtec is set at 4800 and it can barely climb to 8k when the redline on the program is set at 8400

i tested the vtec solniod to see ifs it bad but its not.. all the vtec wiring was done correctly and installed properly, but i dont know what seems to be the problem.??

i then drove my buddys b16a hatch with the same amount of mods and it seemed like it pulled harder.. vtec kicked in hard at 5800 rpms and climbed to 8200 easily running the stock p30 ecu.

But then when we raced.. i pulled on him pretty good..

So my question is: Is the vtec on the gsr motor weak as in it is meant for more like daily driving and kinda more like the low-mid range power motor? or is my vtec not working right?? becuz i do not feel the pull at all?

please help all b18c1 owners
Old 03-28-2005, 07:44 PM

uhm.. u werent messing with the vtec were you?

Old 03-28-2005, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: calling all b18c1hatch owners.. b16a are invited! all welcome! no pull on VTEC (petersayarath)

I have a stock jdm gsr b18c and at 4800 and you barely hear the popping but at 4800-8200 rpm I can feel the hard pull. ( im on a obd1 p72 )
My brother has a gsr (b18c1) and his **** pops loud as fawk, but at 5800ish?. I can feel the pull once it pops. Hes also on a obd1 p72 ecu.

Modified by Johnny`EH2 at 9:53 PM 3/30/2005
Old 03-28-2005, 07:51 PM

well u should be able to tell when the vtec kicks in it will get louder.....but the b16's VTEC hits alot harder and louder...dont know what is making the vtec not work if its not...maybe swap to a different ecu and try it out?? or check the oil pressure....... but like i said b16's VTEC cracks loud...
Old 03-28-2005, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: calling all b18c1hatch owners.. b16a are invited! all welcome! no pull on VTEC (Johnny`EH2)

I dunno, i've been driving for a while now, and it doesn't seem like vtec hits all that hard for me now. thought it was just me.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:53 PM

Default Re: calling all b18c1hatch owners.. b16a are invited! all welcome! no pull on VTEC (petersayarath)

if you have single stage u might wanna try the p73 stock itr set up... might b puter...re-check all vtec wiring... for gsr i prefer the dual stage mani vtec will kick u in the ***.. specially in a hatch.. that second butterfly u can feel too aslong as its wired...if you pull on em in 3rd ur vtec is workin.. if u pull in 4th... u should double check ur ish... goodluck
Old 03-28-2005, 08:06 PM

Default Re: calling all b18c1hatch owners.. b16a are invited! all welcome! no pull on VTEC (dgrave)

on my b18c1 you cant feel the vtec its really smooth like it should be, if it's quiet you can barely hear it, when you hit 5800 rpm's your motor will remind you its there. if you want to hear and feel your motor put the old im back on
Old 03-28-2005, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: calling all b18c1hatch owners.. b16a are invited! all welcome! no pull on VTEC (EGDC2CIVIC)

gsr vtec sucks, i could hear mine but barely feel it. the secondary runners opening up makes up though, thats the **** that pulls on bitches.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by petersayarath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a usdm gsr motor in my 95 dx hatch.. basic bolt ons like headers, exhaust, intake, skunk2 manifold , p28 with itr program , clutch etc.. when driving my car it feels like i have NO VTEC.. vtec is set at 4800 and it can barely climb to 8k when the redline on the program is set at 8400

i tested the vtec solniod to see ifs it bad but its not.. all the vtec wiring was done correctly and installed properly, but i dont know what seems to be the problem.??

i then drove my buddys b16a hatch with the same amount of mods and it seemed like it pulled harder.. vtec kicked in hard at 5800 rpms and climbed to 8200 easily running the stock p30 ecu.

But then when we raced.. i pulled on him pretty good..

So my question is: Is the vtec on the gsr motor weak as in it is meant for more like daily driving and kinda more like the low-mid range power motor? or is my vtec not working right?? becuz i do not feel the pull at all?

please help all b18c1 owners</TD></TR></TABLE>

4,800 is way to low for that manifold. Raise that up to 5,600 and it will help make it more "noticeable"... at 4,800, its going to bog pretty good. I don't see how you could be running an "ITR chip" with the vtec at 4,800. Sounds like someones custom chip.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:09 PM
H-T Poker champion

Default Re: calling all b18c1hatch owners.. b16a are invited! all welcome! no pull on VTEC (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by petersayarath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a skunk2 manifold </TD></TR></TABLE>

There's the problem. What you normally hear when Vtec "engages" is not Vtec at all.. It's the secondaries of the Intake manifold opening up and letting a lot more air flow through into the manifold.

You dont have secondaries anymore. That's what the skunk2 manifold does. it eliminates the secondaries so that there is always a larger amount of air going into the engine.

Why do you want to hear Vtec? What's the point? It's not supposed to be loud and obnoxious.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:18 PM

Default Re: calling all b18c1hatch owners.. b16a are invited! all welcome! no pull on VTEC (Hatchy-Ownzjo0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatchy-Ownzjo0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why do you want to hear Vtec? What's the point? It's not supposed to be loud and obnoxious.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha are u kidding....i cant come to a stop then go again without hitting VTEC...its like music to my ears i love it
Old 03-28-2005, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: calling all b18c1hatch owners.. b16a are invited! all welcome! no pull on VTEC (Hatchy-Ownzjo0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatchy-Ownzjo0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

There's the problem. What you normally hear when Vtec "engages" is not Vtec at all.. It's the secondaries of the Intake manifold opening up and letting a lot more air flow through into the manifold.

You dont have secondaries anymore. That's what the skunk2 manifold does. it eliminates the secondaries so that there is always a larger amount of air going into the engine.

Why do you want to hear Vtec? What's the point? It's not supposed to be loud and obnoxious.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would say this largely depends on the cams and intake you're running.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: calling all b18c1hatch owners.. b16a are invited! all welcome! no pull on VTEC (dgrave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dgrave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you have single stage u might wanna try the p73 stock itr set up... might b puter...re-check all vtec wiring... for gsr i prefer the dual stage mani vtec will kick u in the ***.. specially in a hatch.. that second butterfly u can feel too aslong as its wired...if you pull on em in 3rd ur vtec is workin.. if u pull in 4th... u should double check ur ish... goodluck</TD></TR></TABLE>

Would that be the reason why I don't feel it pull as hard either? I also have a skunk2 IM, however im still using the stock p72 untouched. Vtec hits fine and its hella loud still, however it doesn't feel like the crossover is just as strong as it used to be, its a pretty smooth transition.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:55 AM

Default Re: calling all b18c1hatch owners.. b16a are invited! all welcome! no pull on VTEC (SjCiViCHB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SjCiViCHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Would that be the reason why I don't feel it pull as hard either? I also have a skunk2 IM, however im still using the stock p72 untouched. Vtec hits fine and its hella loud still, however it doesn't feel like the crossover is just as strong as it used to be, its a pretty smooth transition.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you have a skunk2 IM thats SINGLE STAGE you should go with a p28 or p73, the p72 is gsr dual stage intake manifold... so there is two stages where the vtec kicks in... two butterflys where it allows the intake mani to open up more (you prob could manually configure it with a p73 but to much hassle) if you using a p72 with a single stange.. your probably not getting the best of your vtec. you can try reprogramming but i hate that ****.. ppl *** puters up... try out a p28 c wat happens if you have single stage mani...goodluck
Old 03-29-2005, 08:02 AM
cool guy name

Check your TPS sensor, when I did my swap my friend put it on wrong and it wasnt reading WOT, as soon as I fixed it VTEC was there with vengence
Old 03-29-2005, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dgrave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if you have a skunk2 IM thats SINGLE STAGE you should go with a p28 or p73, the p72 is gsr dual stage intake manifold... so there is two stages where the vtec kicks in... two butterflys where it allows the intake mani to open up more (you prob could manually configure it with a p73 but to much hassle) if you using a p72 with a single stange.. your probably not getting the best of your vtec. you can try reprogramming but i hate that ****.. ppl *** puters up... try out a p28 c wat happens if you have single stage mani...goodluck</TD></TR></TABLE>

1). There are not "two stages" where Vtec "Kicks in"

2). You can still use the P72. Chip it and change the Vtec point and be done

3). So you "hate that ****" when people reprogram ecu's, but your perfectly fine running you B18C1 extremely lean and detonating it to death with a stock P28?

4). "Getting the best of your Vtec"??? who the hell are you?
Old 03-29-2005, 09:41 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: calling all b18c1hatch owners.. b16a are invited! all welcome! no pull on VTEC (Hybrid93Eg)

Doesnt VTEC engage at like 4400rpm or something on a GSR? And then you hear the secondaries in the intake manifold opening at like 5x00 rpm?
Old 03-29-2005, 01:57 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

1). There are not "two stages" where Vtec "Kicks in"

2). You can still use the P72. Chip it and change the Vtec point and be done

3). So you "hate that ****" when people reprogram ecu's, but your perfectly fine running you B18C1 extremely lean and detonating it to death with a stock P28?

4). "Getting the best of your Vtec"??? who the hell are you?</TD></TR></TABLE>

wats your beef??
well to b honest there are two stages, thats why they have a secondary.. the initail vtec which should b 4800 and the secondary opens up later at ( i wanna say 7200, or 6800) but don't QUOTE me on it.. haha... i'm just tryn to help... AND LIKE I SAID B 4 IF YOU HAVE A SINGLE STAGE MANI YOU ARE PROB BETTER OFF WIT A P28...its for single stange mani's as well as the p73 ( JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION NOT TO CHIP!! IF YOU READ I PREFER THE DUAL STAGE WITH A P72... PAY ATTENTION.. PLEASE DON'T COME AT ME!! just tryn to help this guy out...
Don't you think honda figured out the best vtec points for stock purposes.. you wanna change internals then dyno program your puter go right ahead...
and cmon man pay attention... don't b a dik... when you read something make sure u understand b 4 attackin some one...IF he has a single stage mani with a (stock)p72 yea he'll have vtec but.. he won't get the best of it.. and visa versa with dual stange mani wit a p28 or p73....who the hell are you coming at me??
Old 03-29-2005, 02:02 PM
Unceasing Measure

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dgrave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wats your beef??</TD></TR></TABLE>

His beef is that you're being an idiot, using improper vernacular and generally being combative while spreading misinformation, I'd wager.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well to b honest there are two stages, thats why they have a secondary.. the initail vtec which should b 4800 and the secondary opens up later at ( i wanna say 7200, or 6800) but don't QUOTE me on it.. haha... i'm just tryn to help...</TD></TR></TABLE>

The intake runners have nothing to do with VTEC, tool. VTEC engages at some point and the secondaries open up at another. Period. There isn't a "dual VeetAck!" function. Just no.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and cmon man pay attention... don't b a dik... when you read something make sure u understand b 4 attackin some one...IF he has a single stage mani with a (stock)p72 yea he'll have vtec but.. he won't get the best of it.. and visa versa with dual stange mani wit a p28 or p73....who the hell are you coming at me??</TD></TR></TABLE>

A.) learn to type words
B.) learn to spell said words
C.) stop using the elipsis because you're using it incorrectly
D.) "vice versa", moron
E.) who the **** do you think you are coming on here like you know dick about these cars anyhow? You're being a complete ***** and then getting all sandy-vagina when someone puts you in your place? Feel free to leave...
Old 03-29-2005, 02:34 PM

try your buddys ECU in your car and see how it feels
Old 03-29-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: calling all b18c1hatch owners.. b16a are invited! all welcome! no pull on VTEC (Archidictus)

sandy-vagina, ROFL.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dgrave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wats your beef??
well to b honest there are two stages, thats why they have a secondary.. the initail vtec which should b 4800 and the secondary opens up later at ( i wanna say 7200, or 6800) but don't QUOTE me on it.. haha... i'm just tryn to help... AND LIKE I SAID B 4 IF YOU HAVE A SINGLE STAGE MANI YOU ARE PROB BETTER OFF WIT A P28...its for single stange mani's as well as the p73 ( JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION NOT TO CHIP!! IF YOU READ I PREFER THE DUAL STAGE WITH A P72... PAY ATTENTION.. PLEASE DON'T COME AT ME!! just tryn to help this guy out...
Don't you think honda figured out the best vtec points for stock purposes.. you wanna change internals then dyno program your puter go right ahead...
and cmon man pay attention... don't b a dik... when you read something make sure u understand b 4 attackin some one...IF he has a single stage mani with a (stock)p72 yea he'll have vtec but.. he won't get the best of it.. and visa versa with dual stange mani wit a p28 or p73....who the hell are you coming at me??</TD></TR></TABLE>

My "beef" is your false information. We don't need it here. The dual stage intake manifold does not mean you have two stages of Vtec. Thats just retarded ricer statements right there.

Its your "opnion" that you should never chip an ECU?? Thats fine I suppose if you plan to never modify your engine. Chipping the ECU allows you to modify the orginal parameters so you can get the ECU to work BETTER with your engine. Running a B18C1 off a non chipped P28 is about as retarded as you can get. Your philosophy of "don't you think Honda knew where to put crap" is also another ricer arguement. Car companies can "tune" ECU's in any way they desire. Perhaps for mileage, perhaps to control torque steer, perhaps for lower octane fuel. Assuming that what it has for stock is fine is not smart either.

I can't believe you just tried to come back at me like you are some kind of bad *** either. Its not even worth my time to get this upset with fools like you. Just leave, please.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:06 PM

you should deff be able to feel the vtec pull hard, at least it does in my car
Old 03-29-2005, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

At 4800 i can hear VTEC kick in, it's not loud but if you listen you can hear it, i also have a short ram, so that may help me to hear it. I can hear the secondaries open up at 5800, they really scream.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<FONT COLOR="royalblue"> Simple Solution. PM IH8ricerz on HT and buy one of his chips. Any ITR Chip that has a VTEC xover point @ 4800 is not an ITR Style Chip. Probably some Custom POS w/ silly tard maps. </FONT>

Quick Reply: calling all b18c1hatch owners.. b16a are invited! all welcome! no pull on VTEC