Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Caliper/Piston Tool? (Brakes)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliper/Piston Tool? (Brakes)

I was helping a friend out yesterday on his 00 Si by replacing his rear pads, the caliper is to closed to much to clear the new pads, what is the name of the tool I need to twist the piston back into the calipers? Can I buy it at Napa/Auotzone?
Old 02-13-2007, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Caliper/Piston Tool? (Si4WS)

damn it, i forgot the name too, but yes you can buy it at any parts store from $8-10.
just tell them it's for the rear calipers, they'll know what you're talking about.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You dont need a specific tool. If you have a set a C-clamps, you can use them to compress the piston back in. To relieve some pressure, take the cap off the BMC resivoir. I've used this method numerous times so I'm 100% positive it will work, unless the piston is frozen.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea, all I do is the clap thing too, i'm sure if there was a special tool it would cost more then it should and to do the exact same thing. just get a clamp for couple bucks (one that screws works best) and slowly apply pressure, the fluid will slowly get pushed back.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Caliper/Piston Tool? (jdmztrane)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmztrane &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You dont need a specific tool. If you have a set a C-clamps, you can use them to compress the piston back in. To relieve some pressure, take the cap off the BMC resivoir. I've used this method numerous times so I'm 100% positive it will work, unless the piston is frozen.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm guessing you never changed pads on a honda. so let me share some knowledge with you. on the rear calipers, THE PISTON DOES NOT PUSH IN like those in the front. it actuall screws in, so using a C-CLAMP will not work.

now you can use a set of needle nose pliers, but you take the chance of stripping the star on the piston itself, making it hader to work on next time. so buying the proper tool will not only save you time, but fustration.

so go and run and tell everyone what you have learned!

Modified by philosofy1 at 12:43 PM 2/13/2007
Old 02-13-2007, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Caliper/Piston Tool? (dad0c402)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dad0c402 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea, all I do is the clap thing too, i'm sure if there was a special tool it would cost more then it should and to do the exact same thing. just get a clamp for couple bucks (one that screws works best) and slowly apply pressure, the fluid will slowly get pushed back.</TD></TR></TABLE>

WOW, another one.

please read:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i'm guessing you never chabged pads on a honda. so let me share some knowledge with you. on the rear calipers, THE PISTON DOES NOT PUSH IN like those in the front. it actuall screws in, so using a C-CLAMP will not work.

now you can use a set of needle nose pliers, but you take the chance of stripping the star on the piston itself, making it hader to work on next time. so buying the proper tool will not only save you time, but fustration.

so go and run and tell everyone what you have learned!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 02-13-2007, 08:30 AM

Default Re: Caliper/Piston Tool? (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i'm guessing you never chabged pads on a honda. so let me share some knowledge with you. on the rear calipers, THE PISTON DOES NOT PUSH IN like those in the front. it actuall screws in, so using a C-CLAMP will not work.

so go and run and tell everyone what you have learned!</TD></TR></TABLE>

you the biggest idiot i ever heard.. a c clamp works fine.. i used them on 100's of hondas i did brakes on...
Old 02-13-2007, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Caliper/Piston Tool? (gezzuzz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gezzuzz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you the biggest idiot i ever heard.. a c clamp works fine.. i used them on 100's of hondas i did brakes on...</TD></TR></TABLE>

RIGHT?! i guess not on enough hondas, because had you worked on them you will know the the rear calipers twist in, and are not able to be pushed in like the front calipers pistons are.

NOOB!
Old 02-13-2007, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

get it from autozone....$40 to borrow, you'll get all the money back when you return it so its free for you
Old 02-13-2007, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Caliper/Piston Tool? (malubawla)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by malubawla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get it from autozone....$40 to borrow, you'll get all the money back when you return it so its free for you </TD></TR></TABLE>

??????????????

$40? what tool are you thinking about? you can't to rent it. it's so cheap that they won't rent it. you have to buy it.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just use needle nose pliers.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:58 AM

Chill out philosofy1.

A large screw-driver works just fine for me.

And yes you can rent it from auto zone if you want to.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EL Vap133 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just use needle nose pliers. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I used those on my Saab and it sucked (although it worked), I called Napa and they said the tool is $8 so I will use that. Thanks for all your help and responses.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Caliper/Piston Tool? (LowSlow93Sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LowSlow93Sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Chill out philosofy1.

A large screw-driver works just fine for me.

And yes you can rent it from auto zone if you want to. </TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry, just trying to get the OP the right info, that's all.

and wow, renting them? the stores around my way sell them for about $8. they come in seal packet right on the shelf. maybe i need to buy a couple and sell them on here and make some money.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Caliper/Piston Tool? (LowSlow93Sol)

wow philosofy chill out, I didn't see your post we were probably typing at the same time and I submitted first. This is my first project civic and haven't done the rear disc conversion yet, so I didn't know.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For all the idiots... Philosofy1 is right... this is the tool that is used to SCREW the REAR caliper piston back into its bore...

The grooves line up with the cuts in the piston face to enable you to screw it in.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Caliper/Piston Tool? (dad0c402)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dad0c402 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow philosofy chill out, I didn't see your post we were probably typing at the same time and I submitted first. This is my first project civic and haven't done the rear disc conversion yet, so I didn't know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

alright, alright, sorry. just got alittle hyped, that's all.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:06 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry, just trying to get the OP the right info, that's all.

and wow, renting them? the stores around my way sell them for about $8. they come in seal packet right on the shelf. maybe i need to buy a couple and sell them on here and make some money.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn, I know that they are free to rent, you just have to put down a deposit. for 8 bucks though Id just buy one!
Old 02-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

RIGHT?! i guess not on enough hondas, because had you worked on them you will know the the rear calipers twist in, and are not able to be pushed in like the front calipers pistons are.

NOOB! </TD></TR></TABLE>

wtf are you talking about kid, i've never heard of caliper pistons twisting in and out, there hydrolic so theyed have to move in and out, i've never even heard of pistons twisting even with abs brakes god damn nooblets i tell you
Old 02-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey philosofy1 you can use that tool, but i was refering to another one.....
its called a Disc Brake Tool part number 27111, it works great

damn too many h-t ethugs lol

here is a link
http://autozone.com/servlet/Ui...Etrue
Old 02-13-2007, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Caliper/Piston Tool? (Projekt_2nr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Projekt_2nr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wtf are you talking about kid, i've never heard of caliper pistons twisting in and out, there hydrolic so theyed have to move in and out, i've never even heard of pistons twisting even with abs brakes god damn nooblets i tell you</TD></TR></TABLE>

noob? right Mr. 87 post. just trying to boost it up huh. not only do you not know about brakes, but you don't know how to read either.

and since you like words with pictures next to them i decided to help you.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Miracle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For all the idiots... Philosofy1 is right... this is the tool that is used to SCREW the REAR caliper piston back into its bore...

The grooves line up with the cuts in the piston face to enable you to screw it in.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 02-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Projekt_2nr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wtf are you talking about kid, i've never heard of caliper pistons twisting in and out, there hydrolic so theyed have to move in and out, i've never even heard of pistons twisting even with abs brakes god damn nooblets i tell you</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hahahahahaha.... you are calling someone that is older than you be almost a FULL DECADE a KID?

Good one...

And if you would have worked on a car with a self adjusting parking brake with 4 wheel rotors, YOU WOULD HAVE REALIZED THAT YOU ARE A TOTAL ******* IDIOT for being so ignorant to the fact that the REAR CALIPER PISTONS have to be screwed in on ALMOST ALL CARS with rear rotors.

KTHNXBAI!
Old 02-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Caliper/Piston Tool? (malubawla)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by malubawla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey philosofy1 you can use that tool, but i was refering to another one.....
its called a Disc Brake Tool part number 27111, it works great

damn too many h-t ethugs lol

here is a link
http://autozone.com/servlet/Ui...Etrue</TD></TR></TABLE>

hey i'm not an ethug. i didn't know about that one, sorry.
i know alot, but i don't claim to know everything!
Old 02-13-2007, 09:12 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Projekt_2nr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wtf are you talking about kid, i've never heard of caliper pistons twisting in and out, there hydrolic so theyed have to move in and out, i've never even heard of pistons twisting even with abs brakes god damn nooblets i tell you</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, He is right, I couldnt for the life of me find out why my rear brakes wouldnt go back in when I tried to compress them. They rotate back into the cylinder as I found out later by searching HT. True story.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice pic miracle, I'll definately keep this in mind when I do a conversion.

Quick Reply: Caliper/Piston Tool? (Brakes)