Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cali Smog Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cali Smog Question

Ok so right now I live in TN with a car that couldnt come close to passing smog test in Cali. But with a recent offer to get onto an oil rig working for Kenai Im really considering moving there in october after my lease is up.
My parents and family still will be living here in TN so could I keep my civic registered in TN and go without having to take smog test?
If not is there anyway I can find a loophole to pass smogs? Idc to over pay or anything like that. Does anyone know a guy in the bakersfield/LA area that will pass me if I throw him some extra cash?
Old 04-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cali Smog Question

if your family will still be living in TN i would just keep the car registered in TN and you wont have to deal with cali stupid smog
Old 04-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ekb16
if your family will still be living in TN i would just keep the car registered in TN and you wont have to deal with cali stupid smog
^^^+1

Originally Posted by BeastModeSi
Idc to over pay or anything like that. Does anyone know a guy in the bakersfield/LA area that will pass me if I throw him some extra cash?
^^^ Frowns....thats a forum "no no," if you must register that car in CA get there first and meet some people who can point you in the right direction.

Register that car at mom and dads house and call it a day Bud!
Old 04-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if the car is registered to your name and you're a legal resident of the state, then i believe you have to register the car in california and subsequently need to get it smogged.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

smogs are every 2 years. lots of spots have been burned out. its getting tough to low key pass it. soon enough you'll have to keep extra parts for those bi-annual tests, or pay ridiculous prices for CARB legal parts. Cali sucks. theres nothing we can do really.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SeanK325
if the car is registered to your name and you're a legal resident of the state, then i believe you have to register the car in california and subsequently need to get it smogged.
This.

You can make your car CA legal by adding the correct EVAP system, cat, and ECU I believe. There might be another emission item or two, but really all you'd need to do is take it to a referee station, tell them you just moved here, ask them what you need to add to make the car CA legal, then do it. That would be a lot cheaper than a fake smog and the risk of getting your car impounded or worse.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:33 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

What car do you have? What mod's do you have?

There is no reason a 'stock' Honda shouldn't pass.

IF your able to keep the car registered where you live now, I would do that..
Old 04-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 600horse si tuned on e85 with a 3" straight. It wont pass. o well guess theyll have to catch it I hardly drive it as it is Im not going to swap legal parts every 2 years.
Thanks for the advice tho guys for real

2000 Red Si F/S F/T - 14,500 obo
Over 22k invested since feb 2011 (not including labor)

someone trade me a white 99-00 CTR stock with low miles and ill make sure you have a dyno sheet from CFT with over 590whp before the trade. Fresh Paint, 0 miles, Freshest there is.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So you never told us if the car was registered in your name or not. I'm assuming it is.

Good luck not getting your car impounded. Welcome to California.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SeanK325
So you never told us if the car was registered in your name or not. I'm assuming it is.

Good luck not getting your car impounded. Welcome to California.
yes its in my name. Ive been told some people "pay off" to have there cars pass. is this complete bullshit or could it be somewhat realistic. Im not gonna crazily over pay but idc to throw a little money at someone.

and I wont get my car impounded. thanks for the good luck even tho im sure it was a smartass statement
Old 04-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Master Detailer

My cousin has told me storys about throwing the guys 2-300 or so to pass there cars.

But if you get pulled over your ****ed either way. None of that crap is carb exempt.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BeastModeSi
yes its in my name. Ive been told some people "pay off" to have there cars pass. is this complete bullshit or could it be somewhat realistic. Im not gonna crazily over pay but idc to throw a little money at someone.

and I wont get my car impounded. thanks for the good luck even tho im sure it was a smartass statement
lol it was a smart *** statement. fyi, you're going to get yourself banned if you kept mentioning illegal smogs. sometimes, it's cheaper to just fix your issues rather than pay off a dude to pass your car.

i'm not sure if this works, but what if you put the car in your parent's name? i don't know the laws. you should call AAA. they should be able to give you a concise answer on registration.

Originally Posted by 98civdx
But if you get pulled over your ****ed either way. None of that crap is carb exempt.
that's a great point. even if you are legal on all paperwork, your parts are still a no-no out here. why risk it? leave your car back home and spend 1-2K on a cheap daily driver WITH A/C...
Old 04-24-2011, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just smogged my ek. they did the test and it passed, then the bitches failed my visual for my intake. if u lived in tn, leave ur license and reg. in t.n. and u'll be coo. otherwise, find a place that will look the other way on the visual and then buy a v8 cat, go to the muffler shop and have them fab it up to be a bolt in cat.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:59 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by racerx510
i just smogged my ek. they did the test and it passed, then the bitches failed my visual for my intake. if u lived in tn, leave ur license and reg. in t.n. and u'll be coo. otherwise, find a place that will look the other way on the visual and then buy a v8 cat, go to the muffler shop and have them fab it up to be a bolt in cat.
a V8 cat on a Honda? In cali? passing? LOL this sounds sooo funny.

Sure, he may be able to pass with the grace of god. However the first time he gets pulled over and they pop the hood he is ****ED!

A cat really isn't going to help him much at this point.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This happened to me about 6 years ago back in San Diego. I got your "Black" SMOG so on paper I was legal. Got pulled over about 3 months later cop popped my hood and impounded my car for the not being CARB exempt and I didn't have nearly the power you're making. The whole ordial ended up costing me about 2300 to get my car back. So take the advice of leaving at home or leaving it reg. in TN. IMHO
Old 04-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't move to California. When our pathetic economy finally crashes California is going to turn into a war zone.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EJ8_Man
Don't move to California. When our pathetic economy finally crashes California is going to turn into a war zone.
^lol this is true!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im movin to Cali for good so leavin the car in TN is impossible. And Im movin for a job I cant turn down, Id rather just sell the car if it came down to it.
Someone trade me a low mileage type r, a early model s2k, or a 2010-up 1000cc motorcycle (cbr, r1, zx10, gsxr, s1000rr, etc).
Ill have pics for ppl by phone that have realistic offers. Id take a mint 00 si stock plus cash also if someone offers enough. The cars never been driven, full susp, built everything, and 1000s $ in visual parts, I have all reciepts on my computer. everything was bought from jhpusa, pwjdm, spoolinperformance, and king motorsport. Everything is legit and authentic
Old 04-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Master Detailer

Keep the car and make it a track car?

Getting 14 will be quite difficult now. In my opinon you would be better off parting the car out.

Theft in cali is terrible, so make sure you have a garage, pit, alarm and a gun.