Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cali Car Stuck in the East Coast In Need Of A Swap!! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cali Car Stuck in the East Coast In Need Of A Swap!! Help!!

Waddup guys...I'm new to this forum...looks like everyone here knows their stuff!
Well here's my story...I temporarily moved out to the Washington DC/VA/MD area to finish up my BA all the way from L.A. Shipped my 97 Civic EX here as well (still registered and licensed in Cali).
Up until now I've stuck with my SOHC so I dunno everything about hybridizing my ride. My engine died on me just recently and I'm looking at options to upgrade everything under my hood.
I skimmed over DMV regulations regarding swaps and noticed that the replacement engine has to be CA certified. What does that mean? Does it have to be PURCHASED in Cali? Cuz there's no way in hell I'm gonna take my dead car back just for a swap!
How bout if I look around here in the east coast for a nice, stock USDM OBD2 B16A2 (99-00 SI) with all papers? Wouldn't that work just fine?
And what goes for JDM swaps? DMV says it can be legit, but I'm hearing some mixed testimonials about imported swaps. The RHD engine harness comes short at some connections, and I heard my original harness can hook up to the B16A2...along with a GSR p72 OBD2 ECU. Would that be legal or no?
And how about just transferring my AEM CAI and Greddy EVO to the swap, since they're both the same parts for the EX and SI?
What to do and what to get? And most importantly WHERE to get?
Anyone got hook-ups to legit swaps?
Thanks!
Old 04-23-2003, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cali Car Stuck in the East Coast In Need Of A Swap!! Help!! (poktan)

Don't know much bout that there legality stuff...but bumpity for you. Welcome to the East Coast. You should think about coming to our Uniontown meet or maybe the Baltimore meet. Go look it up in Events and Meets.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:26 PM
93EH6

Default Re: Cali Car Stuck in the East Coast In Need Of A Swap!! Help!! (poktan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poktan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Waddup guys...I'm new to this forum...looks like everyone here knows their stuff!
Well here's my story...I temporarily moved out to the Washington DC/VA/MD area to finish up my BA all the way from L.A. Shipped my 97 Civic EX here as well (still registered and licensed in Cali).
Up until now I've stuck with my SOHC so I dunno everything about hybridizing my ride. My engine died on me just recently and I'm looking at options to upgrade everything under my hood.
I skimmed over DMV regulations regarding swaps and noticed that the replacement engine has to be CA certified. What does that mean? Does it have to be PURCHASED in Cali? Cuz there's no way in hell I'm gonna take my dead car back just for a swap!
How bout if I look around here in the east coast for a nice, stock USDM OBD2 B16A2 (99-00 SI) with all papers? Wouldn't that work just fine?
And what goes for JDM swaps? DMV says it can be legit, but I'm hearing some mixed testimonials about imported swaps. The RHD engine harness comes short at some connections, and I heard my original harness can hook up to the B16A2...along with a GSR p72 OBD2 ECU. Would that be legal or no?
And how about just transferring my AEM CAI and Greddy EVO to the swap, since they're both the same parts for the EX and SI?
What to do and what to get? And most importantly WHERE to get?
Anyone got hook-ups to legit swaps?
Thanks!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok i called the dmv about doing a JDM swap in my del sol and they said that as long as it has the U.S. smog stuff then it will be ok to have in cali, also on it pluging in and the harnesses being to short i don't think they are and if the are it is not hard to make them longer, so if i were you i would get a JDM B16A2 swap cause you can find them anywhere, but i live in cali so i don't know of any shops over there
Old 04-23-2003, 09:52 PM

Default Re: Cali Car Stuck in the East Coast In Need Of A Swap!! Help!! (BLACK DEATH)

Thanks for the reply Black Death
Know any reliable and legit shops in SoCal I can look at? My family and friends can help out by checking out the swap and pay for me.
There's really nothing on recycler either. And ebay is sorta risky.
Thanks