Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CAI of SRI for 1/4 time

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 02:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI of SRI for 1/4 time

My question is which intake will be better for 1/4 racing? I know that a short ram produces better torque off the line but it also sucks a **** load of hot air in from the engine bay. My engine bay get's pretty hot. I have a short ram intake right now and I can deffinatly feel when it starts to get hot under the hood. Should I invest in a CAI?
Old 06-25-2005, 02:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: CAI of SRI for 1/4 time (JDMcivicRacing)

when u race just take out the headlight and/or get a velocity stack
Old 06-25-2005, 03:13 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: CAI of SRI for 1/4 time (93ejay1)

lol... the diffrence in a 17 second car is so little it doesn't matter
Old 06-25-2005, 03:28 AM

Default Re: CAI of SRI for 1/4 time (menkio)

more like a 15 second car ...but thanks
Old 06-25-2005, 05:36 AM
Electrician

You're only going to shave off less than .1, so it doesn't really matter.

BTW, do you have proof or running 15s or do you THINK it'll run 15s? What engine and modifications do you have?
Old 06-26-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Re: CAI of SRI for 1/4 time (menkio)

more like a 15 second car ...but thanks
Old 06-26-2005, 01:42 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMcivicRacing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">more like a 15 second car ...but thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>OMG NO WAY. What car do you have? Any mods?

I'd stick with your short ram because I just don't like to run the risk of sucking up any moisture into the engine especially since you have a sweet jdm 15 second tuner.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:43 PM

It DOES run 15's. I have the d16y8 VTEC with a short ram intake, HP racing header, 2.25" exhaust, and high flow cat. Soon Im getting the AEM pulley kit, racing valve springs, not sure which brand yet, and Im either getting my cam profiled or getting a new one. Also thinking about a bigger throttle body, not sure yet though. I didn't ask about the intake to get into a arguement about what my car will run. I was just wondering.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:55 PM

you could always get a cai with a bypass.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:11 PM

Default Re: (NerveAgent)

LOL, dont freak out noob no one really cares if it runs 15's or 17's. There just giving you a hard time. Honestly there is not gonna be much of a difference in your car with either since its slow anyways, lol. I would just take off the headlight at the track and make a velocity stack for it.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:52 PM

Default Re: (94_HATCH)

there is no reason you have to talk down to that guy like that, he came asking for advise and you call his car slow, he says its not, so you make fun of him for that. the "this forum is going down the crapper" thread is about keeping it tech related, thats exactly what he did, you are the reason its going down the crapper. i can't believe people act like this, its like the seniors picking on freshmen in stupid 80's highschool movies, get over yourself and grow up, just because he's new to the board dosn't mean he's an idiot. that being said...

to the OP, im my opinion, a cai is pretty pointless, you only get slightly more hp, and theres risk of hydrolock, and its harder to get to when you need to clean it, i've had both kinds on numerous cars, and i'll take short ram any day
Old 06-27-2005, 09:03 AM

Default Re: (Littlegreend15)

ok thanks man. That's all I needed. I appreciate the help.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Littlegreend15 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to the OP, im my opinion, a cai is pretty pointless, you only get slightly more hp, and theres risk of hydrolock, and its harder to get to when you need to clean it, i've had both kinds on numerous cars, and i'll take short ram any day</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've been running an AEM CAI for 5 years in the Northeast, where we can get over an inch of rain per storm, and flooding is very common. 2 years with the water bypass, and at least 2 without, runnin with my fender linings, and never a problem. The bypass only works if the filter is fully submerged, and when running the linings, that's the only time I'll have a problem either. To get that thing submerged would have to be a huge damn puddle.

Either way, the problem that I was trying to avoid with the CAI is high underhood temps. Mine get so hot in the summer waiting in paddock for my runs, that the ECU has retarded my timing. Hondas are very sensitive to this, because of the higher compression design (than most factory motors) and I know my underhood temps can regularly get high enough to go into limp mode.

Old 06-27-2005, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AutoXer)

You can get a Comptech Icebox. It has all of the benefits of a short ram and CAI combined. See link for details.

http://www.comptechusa.com/store/330123.html

It's quite expensive, but I have a slightly used D16Y8 Icebox for sale if you're interested.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (EricUSC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EricUSC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can get a Comptech Icebox. It has all of the benefits of a short ram and CAI combined. See link for details.

http://www.comptechusa.com/store/330123.html

It's quite expensive, but I have a slightly used D16Y8 Icebox for sale if you're interested.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't see how the icebox wouldn't suck up any water either when going thru a deep puddle.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chowmien)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chowmien &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't see how the icebox wouldn't suck up any water either when going thru a deep puddle.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the icebox filter is way up in the stock location
Old 06-27-2005, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (8krdline)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 8krdline &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the icebox filter is way up in the stock location</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, but the inlet is where a CAI would be. If it's submerged in a puddle then it can potentially suck water in.

I live in Seattle and run a CAI. No problems and my car is slammed.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Littlegreend15 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there is no reason you have to talk down to that guy like that, he came asking for advise and you call his car slow, he says its not, so you make fun of him for that. the "this forum is going down the crapper" thread is about keeping it tech related, thats exactly what he did, you are the reason its going down the crapper.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed
Old 06-28-2005, 07:11 AM

i can see why the icebox would not suck up water, i've seen pictures, it has nothing to do with where the filter is, its the box, the inlet might suck in water, but the box seems that it would prevent the water from going past it, it would fall to the bottom of the box instead of making its way to the throttle body
Old 06-28-2005, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know how the box is designed, so I can't say. But, if the box seals tightly to the intake, it would create the same amount of vacuum that the CAI does, and will be able to suck up water. If there is a gap between the box and the intake tubing, when it gets submerged, air will come in from that gap instead of pulling water up the tube.

Old 06-28-2005, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't know how the box is designed, so I can't say. But, if the box seals tightly to the intake, it would create the same amount of vacuum that the CAI does, and will be able to suck up water. If there is a gap between the box and the intake tubing, when it gets submerged, air will come in from that gap instead of pulling water up the tube.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just what I was thinking. With the amount of vavuum that the engine produces I don't think any performance filter would not allow water to get through it.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chowmien &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I live in Seattle and run a CAI. No problems and my car is slammed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if anything, it gets damp in the rain, but it doesn't go in which is the important part.

all i do special is try not to go in puddles like most people try to not go in pot holes
Old 06-28-2005, 12:01 PM

slap on a cai from aem...dont worry about a bypass valve, that stuff is gargbage because it will never help you anyways...i live in kamloops bc, and i work on the oil rigs and have to drive for a full day through rain, and my car keeps on chugging...and that difference of engine air and refreshed outside air is a huge difference as the post above said about the compression...and dont run a velocity stack, you dont want air being rammed into it...and with the "hard to get at" problem, your underbody covers fold down, just push it back a bit and it will flop down...if you do get a cai make sure that you have lots of room for when your motor flexs' its not going to resist,snag, or pinch anything.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:38 PM

Make your own intake, I think intakes are big waste of money. Do some search in the forum and you will find some useful infos. Save your money for tires.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: (BANNED_ID)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BANNED_ID &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Make your own intake, I think intakes are big waste of money. Do some search in the forum and you will find some useful infos. Save your money for tires.</TD></TR></TABLE>

agreed, mine was 30 bucks, a pipe's a pipe

Quick Reply: CAI of SRI for 1/4 time