Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CA Emssions - Would my VX hybrid be legal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CA Emssions - Would my VX hybrid be legal?

I have had a few jobs that I applied for in the southern CA area, around San Diego. I'm concerned that if an offer comes up and I move there, my car might not be legal. Here's my setup:
1992 Civic VX with 1999 USDM B18C1 running a 1995 OBDI P72 ECU. The motor is completely stock inside other than a pair of JUN cam gears. I have a JDM ITR 4-1 header, stock GSR cat, custom 2.5" piping into an ES Oval muffler, Injen intake, Nology plug wires, and a VAFC. The car is lowered 2" on Progress springs and Tokico struts with no aftermarket body parts, looks stock.
Since both the motor and the ECU are newer than the chassis I thought that maybe it would be legal. The only thing that I think might make it fail would be because the motor is OBDII but the ECU is OBDI.
Old 12-20-2002, 07:38 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CA Emssions - Would my VX hybrid be legal? (VTECVillain)

You've got the same year or newer done. ALL smog equipment must be hooked up. The OBD II motor/OBD I may be a problem if they notice. I'd call the ca state ref and ask.

Rod
Old 12-20-2002, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CA Emssions - Would my VX hybrid be legal? (RK)

you have the same year or newer engine, check.
you have a USDM engine, check
you have a USDM ECU, check
make sure your cat is hooked up, all the 02 sensors, and try to fix any codes that are thrown at you.

oh yea, be sure you got a CARB sticker from injen because missing that = you fail visual

[Modified by Spoon Hybrid, 4:43 AM 12/21/2002]
Old 12-20-2002, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I DON't believe you'll have any problems with that setup...since it'll be the ECU they'll be checking.. and all sensors are basically OBD-1 or better so that's good..
and since it's newer than a 92 engine as you've stated you won't have any problems with it...as long as your CEL light works/and that they can Trip the CEL on during a diagnostic test..and you have paperwork such as Bill of sale for the engine you should be fine
Old 12-20-2002, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: CA Emssions - Would my VX hybrid be legal? (Spoon Hybrid)

My car is running very efficient with 0 codes. I am currently living in WV which there are basically no emissions laws here. If it runs and doesn't smoke like a James Bond smokescreen then you're good to go. There are no visuals, emissions testing, etc. But I know that I would have no problem passing the true emissions test, visual maybe which this is what I'm trying to figure out.
I do have the CARB sticker for the Injen intake, but I never put it on though. The bolt-ons are no big deal really. I have stock air box from a 95 EX with a modified GSR tube that I could use and I have the stock GSR header too.
Old 12-20-2002, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the header should be fine as long as your running a O2 sensor on or before the Cat.. since all OBD-1 vechiles just had one O2 sensor.. and I'd just put the stock air box on just to make it look stock and not let them hassle you for it..but don't worry at the REF you can ask them for a pre-test and ask them all the questions you have.. trust me there not ****'s there are at times the brightest mechanics I've met
Old 12-20-2002, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CA Emssions - Would my VX hybrid be legal? (IM ALL BOB)

and hey if all else fails just do what my sr20 silvia boy does, give the guy a big tip.
Old 12-20-2002, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CA Emssions - Would my VX hybrid be legal? (Spoon Hybrid)

I would not even think of giving a "TIP" to a State REF.. I actually know a few BAR Investigators that have done the same and shut down and fired the guys..
Old 12-20-2002, 08:18 PM

im sorry to say it buy your probably gonna have problems..i recently talked to a CA smog ref about my smog.i have a 2000 b16a2 in a 93 dx.he told me in order for it to even pass the visual part you gotta have the motor wired up obd2 style meaning you gotta use the obd2 motor harness and be runnin a obd2 ecu..(the stock ecu for that motor)..also he said that u gotta also run all the sensors that came with that motor..and he started namin a few..such as fuel tank sensor/wheel sensor....so i dont think it will be too easy to do..especially if your runnin obd1 right now..then after the visual..u gotta past the smog part of it....so its not that easy..also a friend of mine tried to take his hybrid in to get smogged and it did not even pass the visual part of it...and he is also known as a "gross polluter" in california now..
Old 12-20-2002, 09:11 PM

Default Re: CA Emssions - Would my VX hybrid be legal? (EGsixer)

im sorry to say it buy your probably gonna have problems..i recently talked to a CA smog ref about my smog.i have a 2000 b16a2 in a 93 dx.he told me in order for it to even pass the visual part you gotta have the motor wired up obd2 style meaning you gotta use the obd2 motor harness and be runnin a obd2 ecu..(the stock ecu for that motor)..also he said that u gotta also run all the sensors that came with that motor..and he started namin a few..such as fuel tank sensor/wheel sensor....so i dont think it will be too easy to do..especially if your runnin obd1 right now..then after the visual..u gotta past the smog part of it....so its not that easy..also a friend of mine tried to take his hybrid in to get smogged and it did not even pass the visual part of it...and he is also known as a "gross polluter" in california now..

why didnt he pass the visual???

no carb #'s???

also why is he a gross polluter???
Old 12-21-2002, 03:57 PM

Default Re: CA Emssions - Would my VX hybrid be legal? (degooser)

he did not pass the visual because he did not have all the sensors that the obd2 motor should have nor did he have it wired up as a obd2 motor..hes a gross polluter because they smogged it and it did not pass..and thats what category they put him under...its a CA thing i guess..since u nevadans dont got strict smog laws. lucky duck.