Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

a/c works intermittently -- Tricks to removing climate control wire harness?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:18 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c works intermittently -- Tricks to removing climate control wire harness?

Hello to all you knowledgeable Honda folks! These boards have already helped me diagnose my a/c problem, which I'm thinking is bad/old soldering on the climate control unit. The a/c works intermittently. It will work (work = blowing cold, dry air) for about 10 minutes, then will put out hot air. If I turn it off for about 10 minutes, then back on, it will sometimes work correctly again. In cooler temps, it works correctly. I had the system evacuated and recharged but the issue remains. I refuse to put $700 for a compressor/clutch into a car worth $650 to a dealer. So, I'm tackling it on my own.

Problem is, I can't get the wire harnesses unclipped from the rear of the cc unit. I've cussed, stabbed, pulled, pushed, sweated, bled to no avail. There is too much "car" in the way for me to get my (girl) hand in there and squeeze and pull. I didn't take the dash out - just the radio/ashtray console. Any ideas? I can't even pull the unit out halfway with it still connected to that heater harness.

Also, I've noticed that, with the a/c on, the car idles hard then comes back down, then goes back up, in rapid fashion. It's a manual transmission, if that makes any difference.

As an aside, whoever decided on the placement and angle of the two end screws on the bottom of the cc unit should be shot.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Tricks to removing climate control wire harness?

Your idea about a bad heater control panel is possible, but I recommend that you do more tests before coming to that conclusion.

For example, have you measured the clearance/gap between the compressor clutch armature plate and the pulley? If it's too wide, the A/C may work only intermittently. I'd post a diagram, but you have not mentioned what car you have, which is required for all tech posts.

Regarding the hunting idle, I recommend that you start by cleaning the IACV valve. Click the link in my signature.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Trial User

Hi RonJ. Thanks for your reply. I have a 95 Civic DX. Sorry about that omission. I will check out the valve issue and will measure the distance if you can post the diagram. Is there anything that can be done if the plate and pulley are too far apart?
Old 07-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the gap is too large, the armature plate can be replaced and re-shimmed without disconnecting refrigerant lines or removing the compressor.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Trial User

Thank you! I will check it out and get back to you.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=12