Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   A/C Vents blowing desintegrated foam (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/c-vents-blowing-desintegrated-foam-2939139/)

Dudles 05-23-2011 06:51 PM

A/C Vents blowing desintegrated foam

I have a 2000 LX D16y7 Civic Sedan and it began to blow pieces of foam (sometimes just the dust from it desintegrating) out from the A/C vents. I'd like to replace those foam sealers but have no Idea how and what are those P/N or the name of that particular part.

The A/C works like a charm, just this foam pieces that are pissing me off.

Need a little help.

Former User 05-23-2011 07:02 PM

Re: A/C Vents blowing desintegrated foam

I'm interested in the answer too. My Civics have been shooting disintegrating foam gasket from the vents for years. I did not see replacement gasket material for the heater unit sold at Majestic Honda.

Might it be the inner or outer seal for the evaporator:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...IT&vinsrch=yes

D16SiHatch 05-23-2011 07:48 PM

interesting, i've never heard of this. one more thing i can look forward to happening with my car i guess lol

tlarimer 05-23-2011 08:14 PM

It's the foam liner that is inside the evaporator chamber, pull it out and replace styrofoam with adheisive padding around evaporator

Dudles 05-24-2011 07:55 PM

I kind of knew WHAT was the foam, but have no Idea HOW do i dismantle the centerconsole to replace it. Or even how to get to the evaporator or whatsoever.

Does anyone knows any DIY for that ? It's a 6th Gen.

S2k@9K 11-29-2017 04:28 PM

Anybody re-foamed these pieces successfully? I have the heater box torn apart and all of the foam is disentegrated on everything. I want to clean the pieces and re-foam where necessary before re-installing. Has anyone tried this? I can see the indentation around the edges of the flap where the panels sink into it. I would assume I can just re-foam the edges? with self adhesive foam found at Lowes etc...Just wondering if anyone has attempted this and what foam was used and where?

Thanks, Matthew

TomCat39 11-29-2017 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by S2k@9K (Post 51493319)
Anybody re-foamed these pieces successfully? I have the heater box torn apart and all of the foam is disentegrated on everything. I want to clean the pieces and re-foam where necessary before re-installing. Has anyone tried this? I can see the indentation around the edges of the flap where the panels sink into it. I would assume I can just re-foam the edges? with self adhesive foam found at Lowes etc...Just wondering if anyone has attempted this and what foam was used and where?

Thanks, Matthew

You should create your own thread in regards to your specific car and problem and reference this really old thread in your thread.

Anyways, I replaced the foam on the heater box vents with white 1/4" self adhesive foam weather stripping from Home Depot.

Can be seen in this post here:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-.../#post51148987

Or in more detail here:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-.../#post50967413

I have not refoamed the panels inside the heater box though. That may require a high temp foam as at least two of the flap panels sit right on the heater core itself.

S2k@9K 11-29-2017 06:28 PM

Thanks for the reply! In my logic, the less threads floating around about a topic, makes it easier for someone searching in the future to find an answer and this thread kept popping up at the top of my searches. I will create threads from now on if that is the proper thing to do!

civic402lx 11-30-2017 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by S2k@9K (Post 51493429)
Thanks for the reply! In my logic, the less threads floating around about a topic, makes it easier for someone searching in the future to find an answer and this thread kept popping up at the top of my searches. I will create threads from now on if that is the proper thing to do!

most share your logic.
H-t is a special forum. Its different.

tony_2018 11-30-2017 09:59 AM

Use what the hardware store has, same dimensions or close to it. You'll be fine afterwards.

S2k@9K 11-30-2017 12:32 PM

10-4!!!!!!!!

TomCat39 11-30-2017 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by civic402lx (Post 51493935)
most share your logic.
H-t is a special forum. Its different.

This....----^^^

It took me a long time to wrap my head around this.

Here's the explanation just as an FYI.

Honda-Tech has been around over a decade, possibly over 2 decades....

Now imagine (especially in it's prime) 1 thread per issue, thousands of different cars and people in one megathread about that issue.

After about page 3 or 4 of 255 you'd likely call it quits and re-ask. Then everyone returns with, it's in this megathread, the answer is there.

If the site didn't expect to outlive all of us, the normal forum logic would apply. But when it's longevity surpasses most people's dedication, it makes sense to separate threads into individual instances (cars/people) and reference other threads with like issues.

I hope that helps clarify why H-T is different from most other forums.

S2k@9K 11-30-2017 05:25 PM

No problem! That does make sense. Especially when you finally get there and all the photos are deleted due to photobucket. I am, however, guilty of reading through mega-threads on slow days at work. :)