Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A/C takes FOREVER to get cold, recharge =no help..help me.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C takes FOREVER to get cold, recharge =no help..help me.

Anyone have an idea?? if its hot out it will literly take like 25-45 minutes to get cold ( and thats have the air recirculate) if i dont have it recirculate its alittle longer or about the same. only way i can get it cold is to park in the shade and have the A/C on and recirculate in the car. even then it takes like 15-20 minutes. i have already drained and recharged the system. so i dont know what to do. and Honda will fix it i know, but @ 70/hr + overpriced parts = assload of money...

If i have to do it i will but if i can figure it out on my own.. thats better?

Any help? and please i already did a search and found nothing to help me.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C takes FOREVER to get cold, recharge =no help..help me. (EclipticX)

if u need any replacement parts.. pm me .. i just pulled mines
Old 04-27-2004, 12:56 PM

Default Re: A/C takes FOREVER to get cold, recharge =no help..help me. (GoT HaTcH)

its probably your condensor. that would be my first guess
Old 04-27-2004, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: A/C takes FOREVER to get cold, recharge =no help..help me. (EclipticX)

A/C diagnostics can be a PIA if you dont have all the proper guages e tc etc. Is there a leak? Is the 134a low? Its easier to just have a qualified mechanic do it if your personal comfort is the final product. I would rather just get it serviced the right way if you want a 40 degree a/c unit when the outside temp is like 95 and humid.......
Old 04-27-2004, 01:12 PM

you could have a clogged up orifice tube if there is no leaks , they can cause a system to not get cold , are there alot of leaves in front of your condensor ?? we need more info
Old 04-27-2004, 01:49 PM

Does it get cold when you drive around? Mine would be fine driving but not in traffic/parked. Turns out it was the AC fan on the rad. Turn on your AC while your car's parked. The fan should turn on eventually, depending on how hot it is outside.

If thats it, its easy to replace. Get one from a junkyard.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:45 PM

Default Re: A/C takes FOREVER to get cold, recharge =no help..help me. (GhettoEJ6)

come to think of it i never hear that damn thing come on... ill look at that today.

Thanx.

and everyone else ill look for the leaves and stuff when i get off work 1.5 hrs.

also this may sound dumb but the fan on the Radiator is for the AC not to just help cool the radiator?

Thanx...<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GoT HaTcH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if u need any replacement parts.. pm me .. i just pulled mines </TD></TR></TABLE>

I will let you know. after i try the above statement that guy told me about.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97civicdx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A/C diagnostics can be a PIA if you dont have all the proper guages e tc etc. Is there a leak? Is the 134a low? Its easier to just have a qualified mechanic do it if your personal comfort is the final product. I would rather just get it serviced the right way if you want a 40 degree a/c unit when the outside temp is like 95 and humid.......</TD></TR></TABLE>

its not low when i recharged it, it was not low... but i had someone uncharge it and recharge it. that didnt help.

hopefully its just the fan... i didnt know that fan helped that much for AC!
Old 04-27-2004, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it is the fan, it is a big part of the a/c system. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my guess would be the condensor
have some mechanic to look at it.. since they have all the proper equipments and knowledge.. they can tell you right away whats wrong with your system..
Old 04-29-2004, 02:55 PM

Default Re: A/C takes FOREVER to get cold, recharge =no help..help me. (Yeung)

Yea im gonna take it to honda. but just for them to look @ its gonna cost me 130$ and then if anything is wrong more $$ on top of that.

my fan does come on when the AC is on so i dont know what it is.

well im gonna be out on alot of money... oh well.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ReDRoCkEt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ReDRoCkEt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you could have a clogged up orifice tube </TD></TR></TABLE>

Uh hondas use TXV's

but to answer your question.. you say it take 25 min to cool down the car right? now you said your drained then filled up the system how much did you put in? also when you drained did you revacuate the system? or just vent it out? if you vented it out then theres your problem you have air in the system so you will need a professional to vaccum or evacuate the system then go from there.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:25 PM

Default Re: (BatuKing)

now explain txv for the youngens out there
Old 04-29-2004, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b18bcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18bcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">now explain txv for the youngens out there </TD></TR></TABLE>

TXV and Orfice's do the same thing they take the high pressure refergerant and slowly bleed it off to create a low pressure on the evaporator side of the AC system but the designs will be different. like the TXV will have a reciever drier on yet a OT will have a Accumulator.. you can do a search on the net to find out but most of the time OT (orfice tubes) are usually found on american cars
Old 04-29-2004, 03:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BatuKing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Uh hondas use TXV's

but to answer your question.. you say it take 25 min to cool down the car right? now you said your drained then filled up the system how much did you put in? also when you drained did you revacuate the system? or just vent it out? if you vented it out then theres your problem you have air in the system so you will need a professional to vaccum or evacuate the system then go from there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah i might have air in it then. is there anywhere i can get it revacute for cheap then buy the refill kit from kragen for 30$?? and i filled it till the presure whats in the good zone for my car... not under nor over.

btw guys thanx so much for helping me out.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EclipticX)

If you have the a/c evacuated, meaning making the system get drawn by a vacumn, then once there is negative pressure in there recharge to proper spec. Any a/c mechanic can do that because he has the proper vacumn equipment.
Having him recharge it wont cost that much more if he is already in there.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BatuKing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Uh hondas use TXV's

</TD></TR></TABLE>
What does TXV stand for? Does it have anything to do with an expansion valve?
Old 04-29-2004, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Why so you can pretend like youre interested, FL/OK
Default Re: A/C takes FOREVER to get cold, recharge =no help..help me. (Yeung)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Yeung &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my guess would be the condensor
have some mechanic to look at it.. since they have all the proper equipments and knowledge.. they can tell you right away whats wrong with your system..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same guess here. Where do you live? There aren't any trusted shops that deal with A/C in your area?
Old 04-29-2004, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Chiovnidca)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chiovnidca &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
What does TXV stand for? Does it have anything to do with an expansion valve?</TD></TR></TABLE>

it is the expansion valve but its the style of expansion valve.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EclipticX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EclipticX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

refill kit from kragen for 30$?? and i filled it till the presure whats in the good zone for my car... not under nor over.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

ah found another problem that gonna bite you in the end.. that kit from kragen did it have a sealer in it? if so your gonna have to tell the tech and he will tell you to get lost the sealer is a problem in the auto AC industry right now because it ruins the machines..

how many cans (at what ounce) did you put in? you need like almost 2 cans about 2.X lbs depending on system
Old 04-30-2004, 09:56 AM

i dont think it had the sealer... jsut the gas and lube.... never saw anything about a sealer....

also only place around me is Honda. there exspensive but hey i guess it will get done.

How much is a condensor replacement anyway.

i called honda... just for them to drain and look @ it is 135$ then if somethings wrong after they look at it then whatever the cost to fix whats wrong goes on top of that.... maybe, hopefully, i can get away with 200-250$ i hope.

ANyone know a trusted mechanic around Sacramento area?
Old 04-30-2004, 01:16 PM

Bump!
Old 04-30-2004, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am in sacramento