Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A/C stuck on and Wipers Randomly Come on

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C stuck on and Wipers Randomly Come on

So I have two problems with my 98 HX .

First the A/C is stuck on. By stuck on I mean the compressor stays engaged and the condensor fan will run. I tried swapping the condensor relay with a good one; that didn't work obviously. In the car I can toggle the A/C button light on and off with nothing changing. The only 2 things that could have possibly caused this malfunction from my part was I installed a headunit 2-3 years ago and have the stock radio hidden behind the dash ; also I replaced the condensor fan about 6-7 months ago; finally I had my hood latch cable replaced maybe a month or so before the a/c problem started. Also I found a brown connector loose yesterday while installing new headlights; it was near the powersteering resorvoir....could it have anything to do with the a/c?

The wipers I thought was the wiindshield wiper switch since the stalk was broken for many years (had it propped up with cardboard). I replaced it and the wipers still come on randomly; normally when I hit a bump. When I replaced the switch I checked the wiring around the steering wheel and it looked good; anywhere else I can check?

Thanks guys,
Charles
Old 12-11-2009, 07:57 AM

Default Re: A/C stuck on and Wipers Randomly Come on

Your A/C pressure switch might be bad and it's not sensing pressure so it keeps the clutch engaged.

The pressure switch is by the Dryer so check to ensure that there is a plug there.

To make it easier take it to an A/C place and have them give you a free diagnosis if you are still unsure.

On the wiper issue, well someone is haunting you...j/k
It's usually the switch but if you already replaced it and comes on when you hit a bump it might be the wiper motor itself.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The A/C makes sense. I will check that out this weekend.

On the wiper issue, I will try tapping on the motor connection and see whats going on there.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

A/C: Check for a short to ground in the Blu/Wht wire running between the A/C thermostat in the evaporator behind the glove box and the condenser fan relay in the hood fuse box. Alternatively, the A/C thermostat has an internal short to ground.

Wipers: Do the intermittent, low, or high speed wipers turn on? Or do the wipers do one sweep and then park?
Old 01-25-2010, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I haven't gotten to check the A/C out yet (sorry it got too cold to be standing in a parking lot for a couple hours).

I swapped the wiper switch and it fixxed the problem for a few weeks UNTIL now the wipers wont park correctly. In intermittent it will work for a half a cycle (go across the windshield and stop while verticle) then on the next cycle they will go down to park. They work in lo-hi modes ok. When I use mist they will stop as soon as I let go of the stalk wherever they maybe. I am going to check the ICU first and see if I knocked something loose with my clumsy size 13 shoes when getting in/out of the car. After that, I'll probably throw another one in there because I am too lazy to do diag underneath the dash.

Thanks for the help all, hopefully it will stay above 40 this week so I can look at the A/C