Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

a/c removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c removal how-to?

search yielded no results. anyone have a how-to?

94 hatch
WITH power steering
Old 02-22-2004, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: a/c removal how-to? (g4hatchie)

bump before bed.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:38 PM

i did it. real easy, 30 minute job tops.

1. drain the system. take the blue caps off the two lines, push the valves down with a screwdriver. hold your breath and look away. takes a good minute or two, make sure it is completely empty. i thought mine was, and it wasn't.

2. remove the lines. unbolt them from the firewall, and work your way toward the condensor. you have to take the bumper off. otherwise, it's pretty straight forward, just take them one piece at a time.

3. remove the condensor (the radiator lookin thing with the fan). there's some wires you'll have to disconnect, and it just unbolts, and slides right out.

4. remove the thing that looks like a beer can by the drivers side head light. two 10mm bolts i believe. might be tough to get to with power steering still in.

5. remove the compressor from the mount bracket (leave the bracket on the block). it's just 4 14mm bolts and some wires. you can also remove the belt tensioner.

also, if you want to remove the evaporator from behind the glovebox, you will need to get the part from a non ac car, and install that in it's place. that's it, just go pop the hood and start unscrewing stuff. it's seriously a very easy process.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was wondering the same thing. thanks for the info.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: a/c removal how-to? (jwn7)

kickass, dude. i dont know why i just didnt IM you in the first place . u still have the link for the P/S removal thread in the type-r forum?
Old 02-23-2004, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if u want to go even further, take out the dash and remove the box under it for A/C it is the one in the middle. you can even unbolt the lines that run to it and cut them out as well.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:40 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jwn7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. drain the system. take the blue caps off the two lines, push the valves down with a screwdriver. hold your breath and look away. takes a good minute or two, make sure it is completely empty. i thought mine was, and it wasn't.
.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeeeaahh... i'm not trying to be captain planet or anything, but isn't this method illegal, and bad for the air
Old 02-23-2004, 08:50 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: a/c removal how-to? (cozmo2312)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cozmo2312 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeeeaahh... i'm not trying to be captain planet or anything, but isn't this method illegal, and bad for the air </TD></TR></TABLE>

Horrible for the atmosphere, yes. Especially when you can go to any Valvoline or other shop that does AC recharges and they can drain it for you for free .
Old 02-23-2004, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jwn7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i did it. real easy, 30 minute job tops.

1. drain the system. take the blue caps off the two lines, push the valves down with a screwdriver. hold your breath and look away. takes a good minute or two, make sure it is completely empty. i thought mine was, and it wasn't.

2. remove the lines. unbolt them from the firewall, and work your way toward the condensor. you have to take the bumper off. otherwise, it's pretty straight forward, just take them one piece at a time.

3. remove the condensor (the radiator lookin thing with the fan). there's some wires you'll have to disconnect, and it just unbolts, and slides right out.

4. remove the thing that looks like a beer can by the drivers side head light. two 10mm bolts i believe. might be tough to get to with power steering still in.

5. remove the compressor from the mount bracket (leave the bracket on the block). it's just 4 14mm bolts and some wires. you can also remove the belt tensioner.

also, if you want to remove the evaporator from behind the glovebox, you will need to get the part from a non ac car, and install that in it's place. that's it, just go pop the hood and start unscrewing stuff. it's seriously a very easy process.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did it the same way
Old 02-23-2004, 11:37 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by g4hatchie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">kickass, dude. i dont know why i just didnt IM you in the first place . u still have the link for the P/S removal thread in the type-r forum?</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha i just realized who you were. if you want, i'll come over and do it for a case of beer. or if you have any problems, hit me up, i'll be glad to help.

is it bad for the environment? yes. if i really cared, i'd be more concerned about getting this thing to run on vegatable oil.

power steering to manual: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=184202
i recommend you read that whole thing first.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:08 PM

If anyone has a FULL A/C system for sale PM me please. Ready to buy one with cash in hand.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: a/c removal how-to? (SlowazzGSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlowazzGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If anyone has a FULL A/C system for sale PM me please. Ready to buy one with cash in hand.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'll sell you mine minus whats behind the dash