Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A/C Questions??

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 11:53 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Questions??

Trying to get my ac up and going for this summer but I have ran into some problems.

Well I got my car, 94 Civic LX, with the ac not working. I was told it needed to be recharged. So I went and got a couple cans of R134 and filled it up. Well it worked well that day, but the next day was a different story. I went to turn it on and it never got cold. So I checked the pressure with the gauge that came with the cans of freon and it was nearly empty again. SO of course I have some kind of major leak.

so my question is where are the most common leaks found in the AC system??

and whats the best/easiest way for me to detect the leaks??

also for some odd reason, what sounds like my AC compressor will turn on out of no where. then turn back off a couple of seconds later. Kind of like its having seizures. Has anyone else experienced this?? or knows what would cause this??
Old 06-26-2009, 12:07 PM

Default Re: A/C Questions??

When recharging the system, you need to vacuum out all the air first. This makes it possible to fill the system full of freon instead of mostly air and some freon.

Also then they are going to pull a vacuum on the system, they will leak test it to make sure its in good condition.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:49 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

okay well does any one know why my AC sounds like it turns itself on and off for no reason??
Old 06-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RHD EG H2B
okay well does any one know why my AC sounds like it turns itself on and off for no reason??
You need a manifold gauge set to measure refrigerant pressures on the low and high sides. This is the only way to know whether the system is overfilled or underfilled. The gauge that comes with cheap refill kits is basically worthless.

The way to identify the location of leaks is to add refrigerant that contains a dye that glows when a UV light is shined on it.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:06 PM

does anyone know what means 70 low / 70 high psi ?
i vacuumed my system ans i start charging for like 20-25 minutes and pressure went to 70 psi both sides and it stopped there, there is no cold air whatsoever, and there is still freon in the can, cuz its heavy....
what is the reason ?
Old 06-26-2009, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by freestyler_
does anyone know what means 70 low / 70 high psi ?
i vacuumed my system ans i start charging for like 20-25 minutes and pressure went to 70 psi both sides and it stopped there, there is no cold air whatsoever, and there is still freon in the can, cuz its heavy....
what is the reason ?
Were you measuring refrigerant pressures with the A/C OFF?
Old 06-26-2009, 04:27 PM

no ac on MAX

i have suspisions about the compressor , since i dont even know if its working, i bought from a guy on the forum so there is no guatantee, besides when i look down that plate on the right of the wheel is the cluth correct ? and should be spinning no ?
Old 06-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no ac on MAX

i have suspisions about the compressor , since i dont even know if its working, i bought from a guy on the forum so there is no guatantee, besides when i look down that plate on the right of the wheel is the cluth correct ? and should be spinning no ?
After installing the compressor, did you evacuate the A/C system and replace the dryer before attempting to recharge the system? When you push the A/C button, the condenser fan should run and the compressor clutch should engage. Do neither happen?
Old 06-26-2009, 05:16 PM

i changed the compressor , and the receiver, pulled vacuum and then tried to charge with freon.
the fan is working, but the armature plate (on the right end of the compressor pulley )wich in my understanding is the clutch is not moving, pulley moving ofcourse from the belt..
Old 06-26-2009, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i changed the compressor , and the receiver, pulled vacuum and then tried to charge with freon.
the fan is working, but the armature plate (on the right end of the compressor pulley )wich in my understanding is the clutch is not moving, pulley moving ofcourse from the belt..
What year Civic? What's the refrigerant and oil capacity of your A/C system and how much has now been added?
Old 06-26-2009, 05:33 PM

its a 95 EX, sub-zero R134 , i im not quite sure how much is exactly te capacity man i gotta go look again in the books, but i put the pag 46 like 3 oz inside the compressor
Old 06-26-2009, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its a 95 EX, sub-zero R134 , i im not quite sure how much is exactly te capacity man i gotta go look again in the books, but i put the pag 46 like 3 oz inside the compressor
I found that the capacity of your system is 1.21 pounds. How much did you add so far?
Old 06-26-2009, 06:10 PM

r u talking about oil or refrigerant ?!
anyway the issue is obviously the clutch is not engaging, im gonna double check for power to it tomorrow and i'll check if its locked
i guest that is the reason why the system does not want to suck up the freon and it just got a little pressure because who is under pressure...

Last edited by freestyler_; 06-26-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

r u talking about oil or refrigerant ?!
anyway the issue is obviously the clutch is not engaging, im gonna double check for power to it tomorrow and i'll check if its locked
i guest that is the reason why the system does not want to suck up the freon and it just got a little pressure because who is under pressure...
The capacity of your system is 1.21 pounds of R134a refrigerant.

I don't think the compressor will engage if the refrigerant level is too low. How much refrigerant have you added so far? Evacuation of the system creates a vacuum that should suck the refrigerant into the system.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:36 PM

well thats exactly what i did, i vacuumed, and then hooked up the first can, and start charging but the pressure went to 70 psi pn both ends is the same pressure and it stopped there. I know there is a cut off switch if low freon, but the system was working for 25 minutes , wich i think is long enough to suck up that can ....
besides the low side should NOT go so high psi correct ?
there is no way for me say how much freon is inside , as u can not open and see ot measure how much is in the can left.
but my system is 21-23 oz so im supposed to use 2 cans of 12 oz..
Old 06-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

...but the system was working for 25 minutes...
You mean the compressor was engaging and cool air was blowing from the vents? If so, then definitely troubleshoot the compressor.

At this point, do you estimate that less than half of a can of refrigerant is in the system?
Old 06-26-2009, 07:05 PM

"" ...but the system was working for 25 minutes... ""

i mean system was on , i was waiting to charge but after 25 min i thought its pointless, there was no cold air , not even close blowing ambient air 90 degrees

it might be less then half can in th system, how much is the minimum for the compressor to engage? and how long does it take to fill the whole system or one can >?

P.S> actually when i hold it in my hand now it weights almost as same as the full one o_O

Last edited by freestyler_; 06-26-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you should again evacuate the system and then verify that the system holds vacuum (no leaks). If so, reattempt to recharge the system. If during the procedure, the compressor fails to engage, then troubleshoot the causes.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:26 PM

pffff i might try again, but first i want to see if the clutch is not locked, it shloud be rotationg free when car is off right ?
Old 06-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

...i want to see if the clutch is not locked, it shloud be rotationg free when car is off right ?
Yes, the compressor should spin freely without the clutch engaged.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and when that clutch does engage (spinning with the belt) then your compressor is considered ON.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:51 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
You need a manifold gauge set to measure refrigerant pressures on the low and high sides. This is the only way to know whether the system is overfilled or underfilled. The gauge that comes with cheap refill kits is basically worthless.

The way to identify the location of leaks is to add refrigerant that contains a dye that glows when a UV light is shined on it.
so should i just get the kit at autozone that contains the refrigerant and the UV light pen??

or do you think that is too cheap of a product??

Also I suspecting a O ring or two is the cause of the leak. Even if its not would it be a good idea to just go ahead and replace them anyways??

and is their anyway my compressor could be the source of the leak since it does that wierd on and off out of no where. Im thinking the compressor is the noise Im hearing since it lowers the rpms my motor is running at, once it engages