Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A/C Problems, climate control replaced, won't get cold. Need some ideas....

Old 08-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Problems, climate control replaced, won't get cold. Need some ideas....

Okay, so the climate control on my 93 CX has been broken for a long time. The A/C has always worked fine, but the slider **** broke off years ago, so I would have to use a screwdriver jammed in there to turn it from hot to cold. It got to the point where it was so stuck, the screwdriver wouldn't even slide it.

I finally decided to change it out, since I had a new climate control and the slider from hot to cold was getting near impossible to slide. It would get stuck in the middle and then clank hard when trying to slide it all the way over.

After I pulled the old one out, I noticed the cable where it connects to the unit under the dash was where the issue was coming from.

I removed the cable and can slide the little lever back and forth with my fingers underneath the dash on the passenger side, but it seems to jam up, and I have to force it.

I tested which way should be cold and which way is hot and installed the new climate control.

Same issue, I am not able to slide the lever from hot to cold because it still jams up.
I have unhooked the cable completely from underneath, and I'm able to slide it back and forth by hand, but I can't get the A/C to get cold.

It's cool at best when it's all the way slid on the cold side. I also slide it all the way to hot by hand and turned the heater on, and that barely gets warm. Not even close to hot.

When it's on, I can feel a bit of moisture on the lever under the dash. Not sure if that is normal.

Anyways, before I messed with all this, the a/c was a lot cooler.
It sucks now, and I live in AZ and it's 300F every day here, so it REALLY sucks.

Any help/ideas?
Old 08-27-2013, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C Problems, climate control replaced, won't get cold. Need some ideas....

The cable snakes into the engine bay against the firewall where the heater core pipes are located. It is a pipe with a core flap inside. There you can disconnect the cable and push or pull the cable insulator to calibrate the controls. It is very easy to do once you get eyes on.

First, make sure all the cables are connected properly without any objects in their range of motion. Now, turn the HVAC head unit to max cold (as close to) and go look at the core flap position and how much slap is there. Then, turn the HVAC head unit to max hot and go look at the core flap position. Now go and disconnect the cable from the core flap and turn the HVAC head unit to max cold. Then manually push the core flap to it's coldest position. Finally, reconnect the cable in a manner that best achieves maximum closed core flap position.

*edit*
And if the core flap feels like it cannot close 100%, it might be stopped up inside. Drain the coolant before removing it and it is a good time to replace the heater hose too. I use the $1-$3/foot stuff and buy like 6 feet and have plenty left over.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C Problems, climate control replaced, won't get cold. Need some ideas....

Yeah, I know where it goes. There's too much force when it's hooked up properly for the slider to be able to move it.

Like I said, I can reach down there and move it by hand, but even if I slide it all the way cold with the cable OFF of the climate control, the air isn't getting cold.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When I reach down and slide it, I can hear the flap open and close also.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lets make sure we are on the right page here.

You are saying when the AC is on max and you disconnect the temp cable and manually hold the flap closed, it is still not getting cold?
Old 08-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds like the problem is that the heater valve on the firewall is stuck partially open, thereby always heating the cabin air.
Attached Images  
Old 08-28-2013, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just slide the cable under the hood by hand to ensure.its properly opening and closing.