Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A/c problem, where are the a/c gurus?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/c problem, where are the a/c gurus?

I think I have narrowed down my problem, my A/c doesn't work of course. It isn't putting out any cold air, only outside air. My compressor kicks on, so doesn't that mean that the system has enough R134a? From what I have learned, a sensor detects whether the system has fluid, then that sends the signal to the compressor for it to kick on when the button is hit. Could I be low on fluid and it still not work?

I can't figure out why it isn't putting out cold air if this compressor is kicking on.

Let me know what you think?!

What I have done so far:

The compressor kicks on.
I can turn it easily with my hand, so it isn't seized.
Both fans kick on.
The belt isn't loose.
The fan control inside the car work fine.

The compressor does make a whirring sound....not sure why that is coming happening, maybe because the system isn't lubricated enough with the r134?

Old 03-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: A/c problem, where are the a/c gurus? (stickercuttingcom)

Buy a refill kit with a gauge and fill it up. Mine used to be the same like yours until I put 2-3 bottles of r134a. Now it blows cold.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, that was my next plan but the fact that the compressor was kicking on, threw me for a loop as I thought it only kicked on whenever it was filled or had fluid in it?

Hopefully there isn't a leak, has anyone here re-oringed their system or is that left to the pros with the moisture/vacuuming equipment?
Old 03-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (stickercuttingcom)

If the compressor is making a whirring noise, (abnormally loud) it then sounds to me as if the compressor is breaking down internally. If this is the case, all the shavings coming from the compressor are being trapped inside the lines/condensor/evaporator/expansion valve. (not all, but any) My suggestion to you at this point is to take it in for an A/C diag. Any reputable repair shop should have the equipment/experience to properly diagnose and fix the problem. This is of no offense to you but, It does not sound like you have the experience or tools to fix the problem. If by chance you do, post your pressure readings, freon level, and outside conditions. (temp and humitity) We'll go from there.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess it "could" break down, but this car only has 100k miles on it and is in prestine mechanical condition.

I will try to check the r134 levels and take it from there. Anyone else have any ideeers?
Old 03-13-2006, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (stickercuttingcom)

100k is plenty of miles on an original compressor.(regardless of mechanical condition.) I just did a compressor on an 03 matrix with 57k today at work. So try not to underestimate just because you keep up on it. Also, some of the most common problems with Honda's a/c systems are the condensers leaking, compressor breaking down and expansion valves freezing over due to the compressor becoming inoperable. My guess is, if you were to bring it in for a diag, the mech. will probably recommend: Compressor, Condenser, dryer, expansion valve, system flush (minus evaporator-you just don't do that) and of course, evac and recharge.