Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

c pillar bar work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c pillar bar work?

i've heard mixed comments as to whether or not the c pillar bar privides more stiffness to the body. does it work?
Old 06-07-2004, 06:51 PM

Default Re: c pillar bar work? (krazynub)

little help..
Old 06-07-2004, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: c pillar bar work? (krazynub)

this has been covered a million times......anyways,most people who actually have any idea about it will agree that they're useless.they brace a point that doesn't really flex to begin with,and bracing this part of the car doesn't help stop flex where it matters anyway.how much they actually do stiffen that area is debatable,since most of these bars are hinged,and don't actually triangulate anything.
they sure do look mad JDM though!
Chris
Old 06-07-2004, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: c pillar bar work? (TeamNextGenChris)

well, from experience, I do have the J's Racing pillar bar installed, and first off, I wouldn't spend the money on a real J's bar if I were you, cause its made with the same metal and design as the ebay ones...it was just first, and the ebay ones weren't out when I had purchased it. I tell everyone that I think this bar does a significant job of bracing the car, especially when going thru sweeping turns, not too tight of a turn, you know what I mean? I never gave it any thought as to "does it brace the car where it matters" as NextGenChris has stated, but this was the first suspension bar I had put in my car, before I got my front and rear upper strut bars, and with just that bar in, I could feel the back end of my cx staying a little more planted to the ground while going around this certain interchange ramp I took every day. I don't have swaybars installed either, so maybe thats why it was more noticeable. Also creeping up the driveway at an angle, I noticed the creaking of the interior panels had went away, so it does definitely stiffen up the rear a noticeable difference, but remember, this is with no swaybars. I think you'll be satisfied with it, if you buy one of the ones on ebay, but not for $150 from J's.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: c pillar bar work? (DjGuamstyle)

Out of all the bars i have the C pillar is the one that felt the most. Maybe thats because im using a thick metal. Anyway **** buying from anyone. Make your own. Cost 12 bucks from any Home Depot store and about 45 mins of shapeing.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: c pillar bar work? (DjGuamstyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DjGuamstyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, from experience, I do have the J's Racing pillar bar installed, and first off, I wouldn't spend the money on a real J's bar if I were you, cause its made with the same metal and design as the ebay ones...it was just first, and the ebay ones weren't out when I had purchased it. I tell everyone that I think this bar does a significant job of bracing the car, especially when going thru sweeping turns, not too tight of a turn, you know what I mean? I never gave it any thought as to "does it brace the car where it matters" as NextGenChris has stated, but this was the first suspension bar I had put in my car, before I got my front and rear upper strut bars, and with just that bar in, I could feel the back end of my cx staying a little more planted to the ground while going around this certain interchange ramp I took every day. I don't have swaybars installed either, so maybe thats why it was more noticeable. Also creeping up the driveway at an angle, I noticed the creaking of the interior panels had went away, so it does definitely stiffen up the rear a noticeable difference, but remember, this is with no swaybars. I think you'll be satisfied with it, if you buy one of the ones on ebay, but not for $150 from J's.</TD></TR></TABLE>
i'm not sure of the exact design of the J's bar,but i'm assuming it's the style that is a single bar that bolts from the left to right C-pillar like most of the other designs?my main gripe with the bars is that the only thing it prevents is the C-pillars flexing horizontally away or towards each other(as if you were to get in the car and push or pull on the two C-pillars)-which i can't imagine happens anyway.any kind of chassis twist that gets transmitted all the way up there wouldn't be hampered at all by this kind of bar.if the bar were to actually triangulate the pillars to something-say the floor or roof-it may prevent that flex(if it even occurs in the first place).just about all of the C-pillar bars i've seen simply run parallel with the roof and floor,and perpendicular to the pillars-it's not bracing anything that roof and floor already aren't.
Chris
Old 06-08-2004, 12:56 AM

Default Re: c pillar bar work? (TeamNextGenChris)

i have a benen c pillar bar in my eg and i could feel a little more stiffness in the back after installed, not the craziest suspension mod ever but it does stiffen it up
Old 06-08-2004, 01:07 AM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: c pillar bar work? (wsiracerz)

my friend has a cf c pillar bar in his EK and that **** is flimsy and wobbly as hell.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:13 AM

Default Re: c pillar bar work? (AzntaggeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AzntaggeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my friend has a cf c pillar bar in his EK and that **** is flimsy and wobbly as hell.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes but with reinforcement bars it all depends on the strength and quality of the bar, a poorly made flimsy bar will do nothing as it is not reinforcing any body flex, a good quality rigid bar would have more effect, it all depends on quality
Old 06-08-2004, 01:16 AM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: c pillar bar work? (wsiracerz)

well i think if you made your own and welded it up it would stiffen it up a bit, but a lot of the ones they sell i've noticed swivels on the end so it pretty much defeats the purpose of having one anyways.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:21 AM

thats true a lot of the companies bars do swivel, i like my benen one because it does not swivel, it is a straight bar all the way across to the end and was a very tight fit making it more stiff
Old 06-08-2004, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AzntaggeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i think if you made your own and welded it up it would stiffen it up a bit, but a lot of the ones they sell i've noticed swivels on the end so it pretty much defeats the purpose of having one anyways.</TD></TR></TABLE>

&lt;--- Made his own, stiff as hell. **** buying company ones when you could make them for 15 bucks.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:17 AM

What about EM Racing's set of bars? It is hinged, but it is triangulate.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SiGSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What about EM Racing's set of bars? It is hinged, but it is triangulate.</TD></TR></TABLE>
it all comes down to this:even if you do find a bar that really stiffens the upper rear part of the unibody,it wil just transmit that twisting force to some other part of the chassis-not really eliminating the problem,just increasing it somewhere else.if you really want to stiffen the WHOLE chassis,and make a real difference,get a rollcage/bar.
Chris
Old 06-08-2004, 09:01 AM

Default Re: (TeamNextGenChris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamNextGenChris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
it all comes down to this:even if you do find a bar that really stiffens the upper rear part of the unibody,it wil just transmit that twisting force to some other part of the chassis-not really eliminating the problem,just increasing it somewhere else.if you really want to stiffen the WHOLE chassis,and make a real difference,get a rollcage/bar.
Chris</TD></TR></TABLE>

How about these triangulated rear bars in conjunction with a roll cage? Would that offer even a more stiffen up chassis.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yah i had the same pics, theres alot of people that like them em racing bars, but it looks to me like all they use are swivels to connect all the bars??? does anyone have any first hand experience?
Old 06-08-2004, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How about these triangulated rear bars in conjunction with a roll cage? Would that offer even a more stiffen up chassis.</TD></TR></TABLE>
i'd say that a properly designed and installed roll cage/bar shouldn't need any additional bracing in that area.
Chris
Old 06-12-2004, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TeamNextGenChris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamNextGenChris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i'd say that a properly designed and installed roll cage/bar shouldn't need any additional bracing in that area.
Chris</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup, that's the bottom line, and a roll cage wouldn't cost much more than what a lot of people spend on all the interior reinforcement bars in their car. Think about it...C pillar bars, trunk bars, rear upper strut bar, floor bar, front seat pillar bar, rear lower tiebar, did I miss anything? You could even add the front upper strut bar, and the inside fender reinforcement bars. You could probably get some serious handling down with just a nice roll cage, and sway bars.