Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A/C Only works when in motion?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C Only works when in motion?

So I turned on my car this morning and let it idle for about 20 minutes and the a/c fan would attempt to turn on a few times but would only spin like 3-4 rotations and then stop... The A/C is ice cold when I'm driving but if I'm stuck at a red light for more than a minute or so I hear a sound like its cycling on and off and than it will begin to blow warmer air out... Than once I start driving again, it goes back to nice and cold... I tapped on the relays like RonJ suggested but that didn't have any effect, could this be a relay already bad..?? And if it's bad would it still attempt to turn the fan on, or am I chasing the wrong rabbit..?? Also I dont presume it's a refrigerant issue as to when I'm driving it gets really cold... Maybe it's the clutch not engaging properly at idle, but in motion it catches..?? Idk much about A/C systems and searching has done 0 help for me... Thanks for any tips...

hopefully Ron reads this
Old 11-22-2013, 06:34 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A/C Only works when in motion?

I would probably have the pressure tested the refrigerant could just be low or the compressor could just be going out.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My guess since the fan isn't staying on:

Fan motor
A/C relay, Fan relay or
AC dash switch is faulty
Old 11-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bimmerstang
I would probably have the pressure tested the refrigerant could just be low or the compressor could just be going out.
Originally Posted by BeatDX
My guess since the fan isn't staying on:

Fan motor
A/C relay, Fan relay or
AC dash switch is faulty
Thanks guys, I'll check those things out..! Starting with the most inexpensive first lol..
Old 11-23-2013, 12:04 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

most likely that your condensor fan isn't coming on. Either the motor died, or the fuse or relay to it died. You didnt tell us what you drive. Some cars have the same fuse and relay stuff linked, so it would then only be the motor.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bimmerstang
I doubt this is the problem. Everything points to the condenser fan not working properly while the vehicle is not in motion. The a/c blowing cold while moving shows this.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BrakeExpert
most likely that your condensor fan isn't coming on. Either the motor died, or the fuse or relay to it died. You didnt tell us what you drive. Some cars have the same fuse and relay stuff linked, so it would then only be the motor.
Sorry guys been deployed the past 8 months but I'm home now! And my a/c still does this..

I will check into the things you mentioned today after work and repost later tonight or tomorrow.. Such a strange problem.!
Old 07-21-2014, 09:54 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

If the fan is working, check to see, if equipped, the proper orientation of the air dam and fan shroud as well as their condition.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can start by making sure your A/C fan is good. Download the FSM, apply battery voltage to the fan. Had the same issue in a Jetta. Turned out to be the relay. Lots of different components to troubleshoot, but with a good manual, you'll find the problem.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by natemoore
You can start by making sure your A/C fan is good. Download the FSM, apply battery voltage to the fan. Had the same issue in a Jetta. Turned out to be the relay. Lots of different components to troubleshoot, but with a good manual, you'll find the problem.
I'll check the fan today.. It does spin for about 5-10 seconds then stops when I'm just standing there watching it, not sure how long it stays on while I'm driving though.. I'd assume it's on constantly when I'm in motion since that's the only time my A/C is cold.. But then again, I'm more an internal engine fella, not so much an A/C pro lol..
Old 07-22-2014, 01:33 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by JDM_SOHC
I'll check the fan today.. It does spin for about 5-10 seconds then stops when I'm just standing there watching it, not sure how long it stays on while I'm driving though.. I'd assume it's on constantly when I'm in motion since that's the only time my A/C is cold.. But then again, I'm more an internal engine fella, not so much an A/C pro lol..
Something is not right with the current flowing to your condenser fan. The fan will cycle on and off but not for a duration of 5 or 10 seconds. I would run 12 volts to the fan like the previous member stated to check the fan. It is likely that your fan is fine if it starts up at all.

A relay or cut off switch is interrupting the flow. When I have more time and the manual in front of me, I will look at the wiring schematic and see what else can be tested and get back to you.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check the condenser it self. is it dirty and full of bugs? are the fins strait or are they all buggered up?

give it a good cleaning. also check to see if the condenser inside the cabin is clean.

-chris
Old 07-23-2014, 02:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sit in the car and rev up, make sure its vehicle speed and not engine speed, vehicle speed=condenser, engine speed= compressor or refrigerant.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OptimisticWay
Something is not right with the current flowing to your condenser fan. The fan will cycle on and off but not for a duration of 5 or 10 seconds. I would run 12 volts to the fan like the previous member stated to check the fan. It is likely that your fan is fine if it starts up at all.

A relay or cut off switch is interrupting the flow. When I have more time and the manual in front of me, I will look at the wiring schematic and see what else can be tested and get back to you.
Awesome, thanks!

Originally Posted by stupidhard
check the condenser it self. is it dirty and full of bugs? are the fins strait or are they all buggered up?

give it a good cleaning. also check to see if the condenser inside the cabin is clean.

-chris
Thanks for the feedback Chris.. And there are no bugs or anything, it's pretty clean given it's a 14 year old car and most likely the stock unit..

Originally Posted by DWBCustomsVA
Sit in the car and rev up, make sure its vehicle speed and not engine speed, vehicle speed=condenser, engine speed= compressor or refrigerant.
First off thank you very much for the assistance.. And when I rev it up I can hear the system clicking on and off.. It will be cold while I'm just crusing but when I sit at a redlight for about 10 seconds I can hear it click off and then the air starts blowing not so cold.. It's not hot air it's just not cold either, but once I start driving again it will start getting colder.. I just figured it was something that was being forced to flow with the movement of my engine and once I sit at an idle that movement is haulted for some reason..
Old 07-23-2014, 09:50 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Check the tension of the belt. The A/C will blow warmer when the car is stationary and idling at low rpm. What is the temp out of the middle vent when driving and stopped? What is the outside temperature when you are conducting this test?

Is the condenser fan still only turning on for 5-10 seconds when the hood is open and car parked?
Old 07-23-2014, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The outside temp is around 95 degrees and I'll have to test the temp inside the car.. And the tension is 1/4" give or take..
Old 07-23-2014, 12:48 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Is this an automatic or manual? What car is this? I looked a few times and did not see it so if it has been stated previously, I apologize.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its a 2000 EM1, stock.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Condenser relay arrived today at Honda, will report back in a few with an update... Or whenever it stops raining, whatever happens first