Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   A/C Oddities (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/c-oddities-3337694/)

Bleakened 06-07-2019 10:49 AM

A/C Oddities

Sup, H-T! I'll keep this short.

I refreshed my 97 EJ hatch's A/C system with all new parts such as:

- Compressor
- Condenser
- Drier/receiver
- Evaporator
- Shrader valves
- Expansion valve
- O-rings all around
- Flushed all lines

So my issue is: my A/C blows cool but takes far too long to actually get cold. It obviously works better/faster at night or on cloudy days but when the sun is shining hard, it can take upwards of an hour for my car to be comfortable to sit in.

I've only been able to get it to blow cold on a hot day right away by opening the hood and putting an enormous fan in front of the bumper grille....

Is my condenser not shedding heat fast enough? Do I have too much heat in my engine bay? I can't understand why it doesn't cool off fast like any other car....

Bleakened 06-07-2019 10:50 AM

Re: A/C Oddities

Some more details:

- I am 100% stock down to the catalytic converter and steelies and the A/C system does hold vacuum for 45 minutes on a machine.
- System will blow significantly colder within 10 seconds after I start moving and driving the car again.

civichxtreme2 06-07-2019 11:25 AM

Are you positive the system has enough refrigerant or possibly too much?

Bleakened 06-07-2019 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by civichxtreme2 (Post 51946593)
Are you positive the system has enough refrigerant or possibly too much?

Aye, I am 100% sure it's properly charged. Used AllData for exact amounts of refrigerant and oil. Then used an all-in-one A/C machine from Snap-On (don't remember the machines name)

stin1 06-07-2019 12:12 PM

Did you also put oil in the system? It's not mentioned. Also not mentioned is what brand products you are using. Cheap parts don't like to work on Hondas . Seems like you have replaced everything, sounds like a pressure issue . I had similar issues on a older car . It was the expansion valve clogged up and the system had to much oil. The high side line was getting way too hot.

Freedo_Civegra 06-07-2019 12:38 PM

What color is your car?

Bleakened 06-07-2019 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by stin1 (Post 51946635)
Did you also put oil in the system? It's not mentioned. Also not mentioned is what brand products you are using. Cheap parts don't like to work on Hondas . Seems like you have replaced everything, sounds like a pressure issue . I had similar issues on a older car . It was the expansion valve clogged up and the system had to much oil. The high side line was getting way too hot.

I knew I was going to forget something. Yes, we used the proper oil amount and type.

I am using all aftermarket parts. The only one I can remember is the compressor named FourSeasons.

Would a cheaper aftermarket compressor really under-perform that much? If so, why would my A/C get so much colder when the car is moving or with a big ass fan in front of the grille?

Bleakened 06-07-2019 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Freedo_Civegra (Post 51946650)
What color is your car?

Red.

Freedo_Civegra 06-07-2019 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bleakened (Post 51946657)
I knew I was going to forget something. Yes, we used the proper oil amount and type.

I am using all aftermarket parts. The only one I can remember is the compressor named FourSeasons.

Would a cheaper aftermarket compressor really under-perform that much? If so, why would my A/C get so much colder when the car is moving or with a big ass fan in front of the grille?

I think you just found your problem: insufficient airflow across the condenser.

Check your condenser fan.

Bleakened 06-07-2019 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Freedo_Civegra (Post 51946675)
I think you just found your problem: insufficient airflow across the condenser.

Check your condenser fan.

I'm currently in school and still learning stuff. What do I look for? I know it blows and it blows pretty hard. And it always comes on and stays on.
I have noticed the hot air kind of just rams into my exhaust and doesn't escape well. But I have not deviated from Honda design so what can I do?

muellersfan 06-07-2019 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bleakened (Post 51946727)
I'm currently in school and still learning stuff.

Then you fully understand that connecting a manifold gauge set is the next step to properly diagnosing the problem.

Bleakened 06-07-2019 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by muellersfan (Post 51946790)
Then you fully understand that connecting a manifold gauge set is the next step to properly diagnosing the problem.

Will report back after returning to school.

muellersfan 06-07-2019 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bleakened (Post 51946815)
Will report back after returning to school.

Do the pressure tests with the engine held at 1500 rpm with the air set on max cool and recir and with both front doors open.

Bleakened 06-08-2019 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by muellersfan (Post 51946817)
Do the pressure tests with the engine held at 1500 rpm with the air set on max cool and recir and with both front doors open.

Just check pressure on each side under those test parameters? Or is there more?

muellersfan 06-08-2019 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bleakened (Post 51946984)
Just check pressure on each side under those test parameters? Or is there more?

Do test in shade. Measure outside temperature and air temperature from center vent.

oneheadlight 06-10-2019 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bleakened (Post 51946657)

please tell us what brand of condenser you're using.. I have a feeling that the fins are too close together to allow the heat to escape/radiate out. I had this problem last year, it wouldn't get super cold unless I was moving (35mph or faster). It would just be cool at idle. Yes I went to a mechanic who tested the entire system. A/C is one thing I don't mess with, don't have the tools.

So.. I put in a different condenser with wider fins and poof! super cold (blowing about 38-40deg, center vent at idle)

I do agree with everyone else, you have to measure the high/low pressure to make sure the compressor is doing its job! but had to jump in to share that a similar situation happened with mine.