Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A/C not blowing cold!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C not blowing cold!

1998 civic si with b16a swap. a/c has never worked properly since I bought the car. I didn't mind so I didn't bother checking until now (2 years later). I figured it was just low on freon so i recharged the system (bout 38 psi) however that didn't fix the problem. I checked to make sure the condensor fan was working, a/c clutch is engaging, both are good. Checked pressure again after running the system for 5 minutes and it's still at 38 psi. I have no idea why the a/c isn't blowing cold :/ please help!

also, for some reason when I did the recharge my timing belt started to make a whir noise :0 weird.

thanks!
Old 07-08-2014, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C not blowing cold!

The weird noise from the timing belt was probably because the compressor was under more of load having filled the A/C system.
As for the original problem, Rent a A/C line vacuum from your local parts store and hook it up to your A/C lines. It takes like 2hrs to work but it bleeds everything from the system. Then you would have to recharge again.
I experienced a similar problem and that was the solution.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

with the gauges you should be able to tell whats going on.

if your compressor is taking a ****, have fun cause you'll have to replace bunch of parts. luckily the civic is easy
Old 07-08-2014, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright I'll try the flush/bleed. If parts need replacing I'm gonna just pull it all out and boost it
Old 07-08-2014, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

So you just added R134a to an empty system? How did you know how much to add?

38 PSI? Under what conditions? On low or high side?
Old 07-14-2014, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Low side. Instructions said to add until pressure read 30-38psi at idle.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:58 AM
Trial User

that didn't fix the problem. I checked to make sure the condensor fan was working, a/c clutch is engaging, both are good. Checked pressure again after running the system for 5 minutes and it's still at 38 psi. I have no idea why the a/c isn't blowing cold :/ please help!

vacuum the refrigerant remove the evaporator and clean it by deep into hot or warm water to take of dust and debris do it 3 to 5 times , (don't let the water goes inside the line) after that go to gas station and use air pressure( use inlet its a long pipe)you will notice the dirt come out on outlet line do it 2x replace expansion valve O-rings install evap .recharge 134a 12oz. don't start the engine evacute air on the (high side) until the liguid come out that means no air in the system(I don't have vacuum pump) unplugged the pressure switch use paper clip to engage the compressor start the engine turn the ac on put on full blast turn on the recirculation vent wait for 5minutes and add I more cans 134a 12 oz. goodluck.................I got Honda civic 1999 and its work for me
Old 07-23-2014, 08:19 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CivicSmith
The weird noise from the timing belt probably because the compressor was under more of load having filled the A/C system.
As for the original problem, Rent a A/C line vacuum from your local parts store and hook it up to your A/C lines. It takes like 2hrs to work but it bleeds everything from the system. Then you would have to recharge again.
I experienced a similar problem and that was the solution.
If your system has refidgerant in it, vacuming it out into the atmosphere is irresponsible and illegal. The refrigerant needs to be reclaimed and used again. R134A is 95% less harmful to the ozone than its predecessor R12, however, that does not warrant wanton extraction procedures.

Please take it to an certified A/C mechanic and have the refridgerant sequestered before flushing the system yourself.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:30 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Anytime an A/C system has been open to the atmosphere or completely empty of refrigerant for an extended period of time, it is mandatory that the desiccant bag be replaced. This bag is located in the receiver/dryer on your vehicle and is the last thing that gets replaced before the system is buttoned up.

If it is not replaced, moisture from the atmosphere will not be absorbed because the silica is already saturated and cannot retain any additional moisture. Where does this superfluous moisture go then? It cycles through your A/C system and will collect on the expansion valve freezing it preventing regulation of refrigerant into the evaporator producing warmer vent temperatures. Your A/C system will not function properly and will not reach or maintain its maximum cooling potential.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:38 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
So you just added R134a to an empty system? How did you know how much to add?

38 PSI? Under what conditions? On low or high side?
Likely the low side with a refill kit that comes with a guage on the bottle only for the low side. This is not an acceptable troubleshooting method. You have no high side pressure reading and cannot determine what your levels are for troubleshooting the system. Rent a set of guages, borrow them, or buy them from Harbor Freight is the cheapest. Use a 25% off coupon.

http://www.dealsoff.com/harbor-freight-coupons/