Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A/C cuts on and off.. wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C cuts on and off.. wtf?

So I finally have my turbo setup running, very nicely I must say.. but the only problem i'm having is the A/C compressor keeps shutting off and coming back on periodically when it's running.

The only thing I changed on the A/C system is I had to remove the A/C condenser fan until I can get a slim that will fit between the turbine and the condenser.

Could the fan be the culprit? doesn't seem very likely.. maybe a failsafe switch to shut the a/c off if things get too hot?
Old 10-19-2008, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: A/C cuts on and off.. wtf? (marcj)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by marcj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So I finally have my turbo setup running, very nicely I must say.. but the only problem i'm having is the A/C compressor keeps shutting off and coming back on periodically when it's running.

The only thing I changed on the A/C system is I had to remove the A/C condenser fan until I can get a slim that will fit between the turbine and the condenser.

Could the fan be the culprit? doesn't seem very likely.. maybe a failsafe switch to shut the a/c off if things get too hot?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Umm... YEA!?!?

Of course that's your problem! The fan's there for a reason.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C cuts on and off.. wtf? (sageuvagony)

lol, of course.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sageuvagony &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Umm... YEA!?!?

Of course that's your problem! The fan's there for a reason.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the fan would cause this. Did you have the system recovered/refilled when you put the turbo setup together? Reason I am saying this is because the only time an A/C system would cycle on and off is if there is too much refrigerant in the system.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the compressor is suppose to do that. dont worry about it. for proof, go to any other civic and watch the compressor. the reason this happens is because the pressure/temp gets to high the comp kicks in to lower the freon temp/pressure
Old 10-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C cuts on and off.. wtf? (grandtheftlunchbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by grandtheftlunchbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the fan would cause this. Did you have the system recovered/refilled when you put the turbo setup together? Reason I am saying this is because the only time an A/C system would cycle on and off is if there is too much refrigerant in the system. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, it WILL do this. The happened when my fan started going bad. 3 years later same symptoms appeared on my girlfriend's Accord, and guess what it was??!?!?! YEP! THE CONDENSOR FAN!!!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_4dr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the compressor is suppose to do that. dont worry about it. for proof, go to any other civic and watch the compressor. the reason this happens is because the pressure/temp gets to high the comp kicks in to lower the freon temp/pressure</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 10-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when mine was doing that, it was the compressor coil... for me it was $60 from the dealer..

its an easy fix

1) take off the driver wheel and splash guard.
2) pull the compressor off the a/c bracket
3) unbolt the clutch plate from the compressor ( i think its a 13mm bolt)
4) undo the C clip
5) use a pulley tool to get off the pulley
6) undo the other C clip
7 ) unplug the coil from ontop of the compressor
8) remove coil
9) replace coil and put it back together

important tips -<U> on the c clips, the champhered side ( beveled edge) always faces away from the compressor, and make sure the coil locks on the little stud on the compressor body</U>

Old 10-19-2008, 10:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by marcj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So I finally have my turbo setup running, very nicely I must say.. but the only problem i'm having is the A/C compressor keeps shutting off and coming back on periodically when it's running.

Could the fan be the culprit? doesn't seem very likely.. maybe a failsafe switch to shut the a/c off if things get too hot?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's awsome that you're turbo with a/c. Make sure you put that fan in, it will allow your a/c opporate at it's potential. When you're sitting at idle and no air flow is going through the condensor, you'll notice your a/c is not quit as cold as when you're driving down the road. At idle is when the fan comes into play, just like your engine cooling system. The computer recieves a signal from your a/c pressure switch and controls the cluch and the fan. Your computer will cycle the a/c clutch like it's supposed to, even if the fan is not in the system.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C cuts on and off.. wtf? (chinochanginc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chinochanginc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when mine was doing that, it was the compressor coil... for me it was $60 from the dealer..

its an easy fix

1) take off the driver wheel and splash guard.
2) pull the compressor off the a/c bracket
3) unbolt the clutch plate from the compressor ( i think its a 13mm bolt)
4) undo the C clip
5) use a pulley tool to get off the pulley
6) undo the other C clip
7 ) unplug the coil from ontop of the compressor
8) remove coil
9) replace coil and put it back together

important tips -<U> on the c clips, the champhered side ( beveled edge) always faces away from the compressor, and make sure the coil locks on the little stud on the compressor body</U>

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ohh mah gad! He said he took off the fan so we already know what the problem is!
Old 10-22-2008, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sageuvagony &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ohh mah gad! He said he took off the fan so we already know what the problem is!</TD></TR></TABLE>

my bad.. i missed that part...