Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A/C compressor problem - repair or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C compressor problem - repair or replace?

2000 Civic Ex @ 190K. I found a crack in one of the A/C lines when summer began, replaced it, drier, vacuumed for 30 minutes, recharged and it worked well all summer long.

Stuck in traffic last Friday, it stopped blowing cold. Soon after, I smelled what I thought was tire smoke, then saw a white puff of smoke come out of the LF wheel area, so I shut the A/C off. When I inspected the next day, everything looked OK and A/C functioned.

Yesterday, I started hearing an occasion "knock" under the hood. It was obviously coming from the A/C compressor, so pulled the belt and the noise was gone. Using my hand, I rotated the compressor about half way and then it became almost impossible to turn. Either an internal bearing has failed completely, or more likely, there's something free inside the compressor.

The shop manual doesn't go any further than clutch adjustment and service. Can the internal components of the compressor be serviced, or would I be better off replacing it completely?
Old 09-22-2015, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: A/C compressor problem - repair or replace?

Originally Posted by 94CivicSi
2000 Civic Ex @ 190K. I found a crack in one of the A/C lines when summer began, replaced it, drier, vacuumed for 30 minutes, recharged and it worked well all summer long.
Did you replace lost oil from the system? How strong was the vacuum (inches of mercury)?

I started hearing an occasion "knock" under the hood.
With A/C on, off, or both?

Using my hand, I rotated the compressor about half way and then it became almost impossible to turn. Either an internal bearing has failed completely, or more likely, there's something free inside the compressor.
Were you rotating the pulley, the armature plate, or both?

Are you saying that the compressor pulley won't turn by hand even when the A/C clutch is disengaged?
Old 09-22-2015, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
Are you saying that the compressor pulley won't turn by hand even when the A/C clutch is disengaged?
It will, but there's a "spot" in the rotation that's very difficult to get past.

I charged it from one of those recharge cans with the built in gauge. If I'm over pressure, would that make the compressor more difficult to turn?
Old 09-22-2015, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It will, but there's a "spot" in the rotation that's very difficult to get past.

I charged it from one of those recharge cans with the built in gauge. If I'm over pressure, would that make the compressor more difficult to turn?
I edited my post. Please respond to the other questions as well.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you replace lost oil from the system? How strong was the vacuum (inches of mercury)?
I did NOT add any additional oil.

The vacuum pinned both gauges and low as they would go and held it for an hour. I borrowed them from Autozone and don't recall how they read.

With A/C on, off, or both?
both

Were you rotating the pulley, the armature plate, or both?

Armature plate spins freely when A/C is off. It's only the compressor wheel that wants to stop along it's rotation.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did NOT add any additional oil.
Which A/C line was cracked and where on the line? Did you see a lot of oil leaking from the crack?

both

Armature plate spins freely when A/C is off. It's only the compressor wheel that wants to stop along it's rotation.
The armature plate turns the compressor. The electromagnet coil is activated with the A/C button pressed. The activated coil pulls the armature plate against the pulley so that the engine will turn the compressor. In short, it sounds like the bearing in the pulley seized rather than the compressor. Also check whether the idler pulley turns freely.

The compressor clutch can be removed and replaced without disconnecting the A/C lines. Remove the armature plate, pulley, and coil and inspect them. Verify the pulley bearing is seized. When the bearing seizes, the compressor shaft may be damaged. Also inspect the compressor shaft very carefully for damage. If it's fine, replace the bad pulley bearing. You may also consider replacing the armature plate, pulley, and coil. Be sure to shim the clutch to get the proper air gap.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Which A/C line was cracked and where on the line? Did you see a lot of oil leaking from the crack?.
It was under the airbox, right where the metal clamp runs over the line. There wasn't a lot of oil on the insulation, just a spot that allowed me to identify the leak.

The compressor clutch can be removed and replaced without disconnecting the A/C lines. Remove the armature plate, pulley, and coil and inspect them. Verify the pulley bearing is seized. When the bearing seizes, the compressor shaft may be damaged. Also inspect the compressor shaft very carefully for damage. If it's fine, replace the bad pulley bearing. You may also consider replacing the armature plate, pulley, and coil. Be sure to shim the clutch to get the proper air gap.
Where is that bearing Ron? It's not shown in the factory service manual or Majestic parts diagrams.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The bearing is pressed into the pulley. You may be able to find a match at a Sears Hardware store. Also check at Amazon.

However, wait until you remove and inspect the armature plate, pulley, and coil. You may find that you need to buy the entire clutch kit, which you should price compare at Majestic, Amazon, and Rockauto.