Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A/C compressor engages and disengages

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C compressor engages and disengages

What's up Honda Tech. So here are the details and situation.

94 Honda civic hatchback with 95 GSR swap. Haven't had A/C in 2 years until this year, since i decided to install A/C. Got a 94 AC unit and installed it to my car. I made sure it was R-134. So i installed everything correctly and even added the right amount of oil and even new o rings which i lubed up as well. So i refilled the car with freon and made sure the clutch of the compressor and fan were working before hand and everything seemed legit. The next day, i took the car for a drive and decided to test out the A/C on max, it was blowing warm air, not relative hot and for sure, not extremely cold. So i decided to go home and see what the situation was, I blasted the A/C and popped the hood and boom, clutch and condenser fan engages and disengages. I added practically almost 20oz of freon to the system. Of course i wasted some of the freon in order for me to get rid of any pressure that was in the system. So i would like to say the amount of freon i added was for sure 17-19 oz.

So my question is i don't know how to go about fixing the A/C? What's causing the compressor and condensor fan to go on and off at the same time? what can i do in order for me to fix it without having to pay so much? The last thing i want to do is take it to the A/C shop so that'll be my last option of course, i want to be able to diagnose the problem..

Also, when refilling the freon the clutch is supposed to stay engaged when filling it up with freon, correct? Because i read that it's normal for the clutch to engage and disengage but i wasn't sure if that same theory applied when adding freon.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: A/C compressor engages and disengages

Originally Posted by MarkCayabyab
i refilled the car with freon and made sure the clutch of the compressor and fan were working before hand and everything seemed legit.
Did you replace the receiver/dryer and pull a deep vacuum for at least 30 minutes prior to adding refrigerant?
Old 07-20-2016, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

You need to take a pressure reading on the system to help determine your amount of freon, and what other pressure problems you are having
Old 07-21-2016, 07:17 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkCayabyab
What's up Honda Tech. So here are the details and situation.

94 Honda civic hatchback with 95 GSR swap. Haven't had A/C in 2 years until this year, since i decided to install A/C. Got a 94 AC unit and installed it to my car. I made sure it was R-134. So i installed everything correctly and even added the right amount of oil and even new o rings which i lubed up as well. So i refilled the car with freon and made sure the clutch of the compressor and fan were working before hand and everything seemed legit. The next day, i took the car for a drive and decided to test out the A/C on max, it was blowing warm air, not relative hot and for sure, not extremely cold. So i decided to go home and see what the situation was, I blasted the A/C and popped the hood and boom, clutch and condenser fan engages and disengages. I added practically almost 20oz of freon to the system. Of course i wasted some of the freon in order for me to get rid of any pressure that was in the system. So i would like to say the amount of freon i added was for sure 17-19 oz.

So my question is i don't know how to go about fixing the A/C? What's causing the compressor and condensor fan to go on and off at the same time? what can i do in order for me to fix it without having to pay so much? The last thing i want to do is take it to the A/C shop so that'll be my last option of course, i want to be able to diagnose the problem..

Also, when refilling the freon the clutch is supposed to stay engaged when filling it up with freon, correct? Because i read that it's normal for the clutch to engage and disengage but i wasn't sure if that same theory applied when adding freon.
Hows your fan setup?