Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A/C is cold only when im driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 11:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A/C is cold only when im driving

I noticed that when im at idle with the a/c on...its as if the a/c is off and just the fan is blowing. The a/c is only cold when im cruising at a constant rate. everytime i stop at a light, it starts warming up, but on the freeway, it works fine. why is it like this?
Old 08-18-2003, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A/C is cold only when im driving (nd8ch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nd8ch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I noticed that when im at idle with the a/c on...its as if the a/c is off and just the fan is blowing. The a/c is only cold when im cruising at a constant rate. everytime i stop at a light, it starts warming up, but on the freeway, it works fine. why is it like this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have the same problem. I'm thinking maybe my blower is dirty or I need more freon. I'm pretty sure it's my blower though.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C is cold only when im driving (Ziggie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ziggie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have the same problem. I'm thinking maybe my blower is dirty or I need more freon. I'm pretty sure it's my blower though.</TD></TR></TABLE>
sounds about right
Old 08-19-2003, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How does one go about removing the blower and cleaning it out?
Old 08-19-2003, 12:03 PM

Default Re: (psychotic)

If you search you will find it, but I already did that

so here's the link.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=457308
Old 08-19-2003, 01:35 PM

Default Re: (Ziggie)

my blower blows air pretty well still, im still probbably going to stilll check it, but i dont get how this causes the air to be colder when im on freeways. can someone explain?
Old 08-19-2003, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (nd8ch)

its a long shot, but it may be because you are in higher rpm's when you are moving.
try raising the idle and see what happens
Old 08-19-2003, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (blackhatchy)

If it's only cold when you're moving....then it may be your condensor, or that your condensor fan is not working.

With no air blowing through the condensor, you're going to have a heck of a time getting it cool.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It really sound like you're a little bit low on freon. You might want to take it to an a/c shop and let them put the gauge on it to see if you are low or not. You're probably about 1/2 can low if it still blow cold when you're driving.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:03 PM
HT Black Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nd8ch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my blower blows air pretty well still, im still probbably going to stilll check it, but i dont get how this causes the air to be colder when im on freeways. can someone explain?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The reasons it blows colder while your driving are:

A. Your engine is running at a higher RPM then it is at idle, so your compressor is turning faster and pumping more freon areound your cooling system.

B. Since your moving more are is going across your condenser helping to cool the freon that was just pumped into the condenser. When you compress freon it gets hotter, so if you can make it cooler when your compressing it, when it decompresses it gets colder.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:05 PM

Default Re: (lsvtecracer)

i guess ill check out the freon.

the a/c fan works prefectly fine, and i tried raising the idle when im at a stop light, but it still doesnt get cơoler...so yeah
Old 08-19-2003, 04:54 PM

Default Re: (92 civic VX B18c)

what you are experiencing seems to be somewhat normal but without actually see what your operating pressures are. your access ports in your engine bay will leak, i have never come accross one that didn't. talk to a mechanic about adjusting the charge of your system but i would urge you to check for a leak before adding anything. not to sound like a tree hugger but 134a is a greenhouse gas so keep as much of it out of the atmosphere as possible

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92 civic VX B18c &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The reasons it blows colder while your driving are:

A. Your engine is running at a higher RPM then it is at idle, so your compressor is turning faster and pumping more freon areound your cooling system.

B. Since your moving more are is going across your condenser helping to cool the freon that was just pumped into the condenser. When you compress freon it gets hotter, so if you can make it cooler when your compressing it, when it decompresses it gets colder.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if i'm not mistaken cars have a fixed thermostatic expansion valve which will only allow a certain amount of refrigerant to boil in the evaporator in order to maintain a set amount of superheat.

you are right about subcooling the refrigerant in the condenser. by subcooling the refrigerant you reduce teh percentage of liquid that flashes when the sudden pressure change occurs.

Old 08-19-2003, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EBP_SI)

I just had mine serviced with 134a and I have the same problem but on my integra w r12 my ac is ice cold moving or not makes me want to switch back to r12
Old 12-04-2018, 03:25 AM
Trial User

Default Re: A/C is cold only when im driving

Originally Posted by nd8ch
I noticed that when im at idle with the a/c on...its as if the a/c is off and just the fan is blowing. The a/c is only cold when im cruising at a constant rate. everytime i stop at a light, it starts warming up, but on the freeway, it works fine. why is it like this?