Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A/C blowing harder out of one vent, less on the other

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C blowing harder out of one vent, less on the other

im speaking about the 2 middle vents on the Climate control in my 99 civic.
the driverside vent blows substancially harder than the passenger side. its like more air is being pushed out the driverside vent and less on the passenger.

anyone know what could be the problem?
i havent taken out the climate control to see if its some sort of clog of some kind. just wanted to get a jist of what could be the culprit before i start messin around. its been like this since i bought the car back in oct.03. just now gettin around to fixing all the minor probs with the car.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:01 PM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

Default Re: A/C blowing harder out of one vent, less on the other (xFlipNotiKx)

it seems to me like it would be some sort of clog? i would check the little stuff first
Old 08-17-2004, 11:09 PM

Default Re: A/C blowing harder out of one vent, less on the other (ciRcuitSi y0!)

got the same car....i think thats just house it is, u'll notice if u close the drive side vent a lot more will be forced through the middle vents....i personally dont think its fixable unless u make some sort of fabricated solution...which imo wouldnt be worth it....but just so u know....most eg civics 96-00 are like that, my last 97 was and my 99 is too
Old 08-18-2004, 05:47 AM

I have the same situation, but if I remember correctly, it's the driver side that blows LESS hard. I very rarely use the A/C anyways, so I don't really care very much.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xFlipNotiKx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im speaking about the 2 middle vents on the Climate control in my 99 civic.
the driverside vent blows substancially harder than the passenger side. its like more air is being pushed out the driverside vent and less on the passenger.

anyone know what could be the problem?
i</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's nothing wrong. It's the way the air ducts were designed, and where the fan is placed in relation to the ducts. It causes more flow out of one vent than the other. Nothing you can do about it really, unless you want to pull the ducts out and put some turning vanes in to direct equal flow to the vents.

Old 08-18-2004, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C blowing harder out of one vent, less on the other (EX_AutoXer)

Mine blows harder on the driver side than passenger side as well.

Old 08-18-2004, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C blowing harder out of one vent, less on the other (GSRBoy)

well it feels as if air is distributed like 80/20 .. is that how it is? i never reallly noticed it so unproportional in my other friends 96-00's.. maybe ill have to check it out again. well thanks for the replies.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xFlipNotiKx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well it feels as if air is distributed like 80/20 .. is that how it is? i never reallly noticed it so unproportional in my other friends 96-00's.. maybe ill have to check it out again. well thanks for the replies.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Everyone I've ever been in has been about the same. The fan is low on the pass side of the car. There's a main duct that runs from there, connects with the dash vents and splits into two for the center one.

The way the air goes around the bend from the main duct to the center outlet ducts, it can't bend around the turn and split between the two equally. There is a big flow seperation at that bend, and thats why there's an uneven distribution between the two. That's an inherent part of the design, and there's nothing that could be done (within reason) to fix it.

Old 08-18-2004, 12:03 PM
Electrician

When I have no passenger, I point close the passenger vent and face the center ones toward me. So, all air goes my way and I'm nice and cold. When there's a passenger, I just open the passenger vent but the center ones still point toward me.

It's the way they are designed.